Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
153 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Any Boaters in the Forum?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/3 15:29
Group:
Registered Users
I'm in Liberty Harbor as well. Mine is the sailboat with a dark blue hull on the "fisherman's" dock. Come by for a beer and say hi if you see someone on board. I don't hang out there, but am around during the week doing maintenance and frequently head out for quieter waters on the weekend.

I'll likely be out tomorrow night and over this coming weekend. If you're a sailor, I'd recommend checking out the clubs south of the Verrazano. They are very reasonably priced and give you an excellent destination away from the dreaded Sandbar.

As a side note, JC list should stop the annoying practice of appending everything thread into a single thread. Link "related threads" perhaps, but this is clearly a time-sensitive item of someone looking for other boaters. It isn't in any way related to the previous comments about the prices or options for marinas here.

POST-EDIT- After I hit save, I noticed you have a powerboat. We're likely on the same dock. Come by for a beer; no discrimination for the stink-potters. grin.

Posted on: 2009/6/25 5:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

chiefdahill wrote:
Yo Tommy, you need a first mate? I'll bring the beers and Jimmy Buffett tunes.

I took lessons up in Larchmont and I love to sail

Yeah buddy, you can come out anytime...I believe I invited you that night we were drinking at Barrow Pub!

Posted on: 2009/6/23 20:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yo Tommy, you need a first mate? I'll bring the beers and Jimmy Buffett tunes.

I took lessons up in Larchmont and I love to sail

Posted on: 2009/6/23 20:16

Any Boaters in the Forum?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Just bought my first boat, and have it docked at Liberty Harbor. Is anybody else in here a local boater? Anybody have any recommendations/advice for a newbie? Please no tired jokes about boats being money pits, thanks...

Posted on: 2009/6/23 15:50

Re: Boats in JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
rethink Newport Marina

Posted on: 2008/11/23 11:03
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
The most desirable marinas are in the Morris Canal due to the still water and 2008 was the first season in a long time that docks were available without a wait. Every other marina in the entire NY Harbor/Hudson River sucks due to the rough water.

There are a couple of boat dealers in Liberty State Park and one on Marin Blvd near the Sand Bar that sell new and used. Many used boats are avalible for free or cheap, speak to the Liberty Landing Marina and Liberty Harbor operators about getting a tour of the 2 boat yards on either side of the canal, they are fixer upers! There are some great deals on used power boats but remember that they consume anywhere from 5 to 50 gallons of fuel per hour. Sailboats use about 1-2 gallons per hour when motoring.

There are 3 sailing clubs that have boats in Jersey City:
Manhattan Saling School - Libery Harbor
True North Sailing School - Newport Marina
Offshore Sailing School - Libery Landing
Membership for the season is between $1000-2000 depending on if you need lessons.

Boat share programs are a great way to get on an expensive boat for cheap. Sailtime.com has a couple sailboats at Liberty Landing, Great Hudson on Marin will start one next year, www.yacht-smart.com has speedboats in Hoboken. They typically cost $10,000 per season but the boats are new or almost new.

Check out the Business Directory for phone numbers.

Posted on: 2008/11/21 6:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/20 21:03
Group:
Registered Users
i used this company for one season. it has its own problems, but relatively cheap
http://www.libertyyacht.com/

Posted on: 2008/11/20 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 18:21
Group:
Banned
Does anyone know of a Boatshare program that operates out of any of these 3 marina's and if so, what are the plus & Negatives to joining one of these ?

Thanks

Posted on: 2008/11/20 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

parkman wrote:
I?ve had a boat in a Jersey City marina since 1988

You have a BOAT? All these years I thought you were a common man. A man of the earth. A farmer who tilled the soil and wore overalls and a straw hat and chewed on a weed. A man who pruned the bush and stemmed the rose. A BOAT? I have lost all respect for you Parkman. Where is RabbitRabbit? We need you now.

Posted on: 2008/11/20 4:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
I?ve had a boat in a Jersey City marina since 1988 starting with being the first one in Newport that year.

We have three marinas in JC, one at Newport, Liberty Landing in Liberty State Park, and Liberty Harbor just north of Liberty Landing.

It depends what you are looking for in dockage to determine which is best for you.

Liberty Landing has the calmest water, fuel, restaurant on-site, repairs, and is the largest of the three (500 slips). Its drawbacks are, that if you don?t have a car it?s tough to get to, there are no supplies like food or drink close by, if you are in slips that are toward the east side of the marina you have to move your boat to another marina during the summer boat show, and if you have a slip at the far western portion, low tide is not a welcome time.

Liberty Harbor, across the way from LL, is a much smaller, older and lest maintained of the three. It is easier to get to from downtown, has a fuel dock, the ?Sand Bar?, and a travel lift.

Newport Marina, where I?ve been since ?88 (except for two years when I tried LL), is the most convenient for a number of reasons. It is close to public transportation, the mall if you need it, multiple restaurants, and great views of Manhattan from all slips. The down side is; wakes from the ferry traffic on the Hudson come into the marina despite the wave attenuator and can make for uncomfortable dockage, no fuel or on-premises repairs (though you may bring in your own service without fees, unlike LL), and unlike LL, does not provide a bubbler system for the winter if you chose, like I do, to leave your boat in-water all year.

Prices are similar for all three marinas, around $110 a foot (with a minimum of 26?), for summer dockage and $40 a foot for the winter. LL has a full season discount if paid in advance? Liberty Harbor is the lest expensive.

Hope this helps.

parkman

Posted on: 2008/11/20 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
There are 3 separate companys that control that stretch of the river for mooring your boat, the large one alongside Liberty Park, the one at the end of Marin and the one I just mentioned.
Then again you could try the one at Newport, but I can only guess that it would be the most expensive.

Posted on: 2008/11/19 22:01
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Check out the other side of Liberty Landing and there is a small area that Hudson Pointe Apartments control - They are on Dudley street, corner of Warren - They provide a free land based toilet and shower for use.

Is that that little marina that you can access via Marin Blvd, right before you hit the Sand Bar parking lot??

Posted on: 2008/11/19 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Check out the other side of Liberty Landing and there is a small area that Hudson Pointe Apartments control - They are on Dudley street, corner of Warren - They provide a free land based toilet and shower for use.

Posted on: 2008/11/19 21:16

Boats in JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Does anybody have knowledge of what it takes to dock a boat in JC? I suppose at Liberty Harbor. Annual costs, fees, etc? Am considering purchasing a boat. Thanks!!

Posted on: 2008/11/19 20:09

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017