Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Buying a house with asbestos shingles?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 13:47
From downtown
Group:
Registered Users
thanks for the info, that's helpful info!

Posted on: 2015/11/10 18:06

Re: Buying a house with asbestos shingles?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
The exterior shingles really aren't bad to deal with. They're rock solid, so unlike the pipe insulation, they tend to come off the house in one piece, rather than a dusty plume, which is what is really harmful.

You're only going to incur an added cost of demolition if you actively seek out a company to do "proper" asbestos remediation. They're going to fleece you.
Any contractor bumping out your kitchen isn't going to care that the siding is asbestos. Siding is siding. Throw it in the dumpster.

$.02

Posted on: 2015/11/8 17:06

Buying a house with asbestos shingles?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 13:47
From downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all,

I'm in the process of buying a house in Journal Square in "as is" condition. The house is great but we just had the inspection yesterday and found out that there is asbestos in the shingles, which I hear is pretty common in Jersey City.

The inspector said the shingles were in good condition and should be fine as long as you don't disturb it. It didn't occur to me at the time, but we want to do a bump out to the kitchen and would have to remove some of the shingles to add onto the house.

I have a few concerns now:
-Will it be extremely costly to remove the asbestos. A kitchen renovation is expensive as is, so having this extra cost totally sucks...
-Will it be hard to resell our house later? Do people run at the word "asbestos" or since it's common in JC, should that not be a huge issue.

If anyone has any experience with removing asbestos from their home or any advice, please let me know! thanks

Posted on: 2015/11/8 12:46

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017