Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: A 911 scam?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
I must get 15+ spam calls a week like this. Always accented, many saying that they're calling from Microsoft and that my computer has reported a problem. Really? I've been in the IT Support business for decades, so I think it's hilarious.

These are almost always "Robo-Calls", meaning when you answer and say "Hello" there's a click and a brief pause and then someone starts talking. {They're dialing many numbers at once and waiting for one to be answered}.

If I'm not super-busy, I usually say something like "Yes, my computer IS having problems, please hold on while I start it up". 5 minutes later, I pick the phone and say "It's almost started, but it sure is slow". Then I put down the phone and walk away. I figure the longer I keep them on the line the fewer people they will annoy... It's kind of a "don't get mad, just get even" sort of thing...

I registered on Nomorobo.com a few months ago. No more robo calls. Your phone rings once and then it disconnects the caller. It's free and it works for me.

Never heard of it, but thanks. It asks for an email address. Any spamming issues as a result, or can you put in a bogus address?

No - it's real company - I don't believe I've been spammed by them. It's ended virtually all of my robo calls - I was getting tons every day. I cannot remember if your real email is needed for verification.

Posted on: 2015/8/22 1:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
I must get 15+ spam calls a week like this. Always accented, many saying that they're calling from Microsoft and that my computer has reported a problem. Really? I've been in the IT Support business for decades, so I think it's hilarious.

These are almost always "Robo-Calls", meaning when you answer and say "Hello" there's a click and a brief pause and then someone starts talking. {They're dialing many numbers at once and waiting for one to be answered}.

If I'm not super-busy, I usually say something like "Yes, my computer IS having problems, please hold on while I start it up". 5 minutes later, I pick the phone and say "It's almost started, but it sure is slow". Then I put down the phone and walk away. I figure the longer I keep them on the line the fewer people they will annoy... It's kind of a "don't get mad, just get even" sort of thing...

I registered on Nomorobo.com a few months ago. No more robo calls. Your phone rings once and then it disconnects the caller. It's free and it works for me.

Never heard of it, but thanks. It asks for an email address. Any spamming issues as a result, or can you put in a bogus address?

Posted on: 2015/8/21 23:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:

Posted on: 2015/8/21 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/8/21 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
Slight Caribbean accent. Emergency Call showed up on caller ID, but they've been known to forge that. The caller was insistent on knowing who she is speaking with despite being told that 911 was not called and there is no emergency.

Just hang up. If the calls persist tell them you'll call the local police department and handle it yourself, that usually scares them off. Also, don't bother answering if it says Emergency Call on your ID, that will eventually get them to move on to another target. Too bad you can't block the number but it would probably be spoofed anyway.

Verdict says total scam. What they think they will get, I don't know.

Posted on: 2015/8/21 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Slight Caribbean accent. Emergency Call showed up on caller ID, but they've been known to forge that. The caller was insistent on knowing who she is speaking with despite being told that 911 was not called and there is no emergency.

Posted on: 2015/8/21 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
A caller says: "you just called emergency" and tries to get information out of you. Asks "who am I speaking with, etc". Of course, no emergency number was called. Anybody got that scam? Or was it a mistake on part of an emergency operator?

Probably a new scam, since the IRS scam has been somewhat contained and is dying out like the Nigerian emails. Did the caller have a thick foreign accent and mediocre English? That's usually the tipoff it's a scam.

Posted on: 2015/8/21 15:15

A 911 scam?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
A caller says: "you just called emergency" and tries to get information out of you. Asks "who am I speaking with, etc". Of course, no emergency number was called. Anybody got that scam? Or was it a mistake on part of an emergency operator?

Posted on: 2015/8/21 14:49

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017