Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: PSEG disconnection SCAM alert
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
The JCPD might be too lazy to do anything but the FBI does investigate these types of crimes and is more responsive. Contact the Newark office and let them know that the JCPD refused to help.

http://www.fbi.gov/newark/contact-us/contact

Posted on: 2015/6/12 0:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Also got the "we are holding a family member hostage" one. I told them to call me back in an hour & I would tell them where to leave the family member & the money I wanted to take him back. LOL

Now that's funny!

Posted on: 2015/6/12 0:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Goldjason wrote:
Just received a call from a scam artist who says he is from PSE&G saying he is a few blocks from me saying he is disconnecting my service for non payment. He said we had ignored several notices sent to us. Of course this was not true.

Unfortunately he seems to have infomation about my account.
Trying calling PSE&and G was in vain since they are now on automated system it was not possible to verify and talk to any real person until half hour later.
The caller ID shows a cell number that does not exist in the US
They gave me a an 800 number to call them when I arrive at A&P.
I was told to make a cash deposit to PAYPOWER at A &P on 18th street, Jersey city and to call them when I arrive there.. Had called 911 but was told simply not to pay it. The police could have been more proactive and these scammers would have been apprehended.

If they're telling you to pay in cash and/or wire transfer at a grocery store, it is just another scam. No legitimate company would specifically request you pay your bills that way.

Idea - post the phone number that they called you from, as well as the 800 number they told you to call, and we will all know not to answer those calls and block the number from calling. It will also help spread the word. And if anybody's really bored, they can proactively call the number, bombard the scammers with annoying phone calls until they decide to disconnect the number and move their focus to other parts of the country where people are more polite and gullible (I hear those boiler-room penny stock pitches still have some success in the more polite Midwest).

Posted on: 2015/6/12 0:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
I've gotten the "you won a prize & we just need to verify your credit card number". I would have loved to see the look on their face when they tried to purchase something.....they got numbers off 5 different cards from 4 different companies. Also got the "we are holding a family member hostage" one. I told them to call me back in an hour & I would tell them where to leave the family member & the money I wanted to take him back. LOL

Posted on: 2015/6/11 23:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Gold - sorry you had to go through this - it can be unsettling.

The local police really cannot do anything about these types of calls so their instructions were spot on. If they were doing this door-to-door, then they could have probably intervened.

The folks perpetrating these crimes via the telephone generally work off-shore. There's another thread here about the IRS scam. It works similarly. The scammers were asking for codes off of pre-paid cards like GreenDot, or requesting money via Western Union.

It's alarming how many people fell for this.

I've gotten IRS scam calls before. Just this morning, I got an IRS robo-call telling me I had to pay up or else gloom and doom would fall upon me. I hung up - case closed.

If the people keep calling, just block the call from your phone provider.

Posted on: 2015/6/11 23:36

PSEG disconnection SCAM alert
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/20 16:05
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Just received a call from a scam artist who says he is from PSE&G saying he is a few blocks from me saying he is disconnecting my service for non payment. He said we had ignored several notices sent to us. Of course this was not true.

Unfortunately he seems to have infomation about my account.
Trying calling PSE&and G was in vain since they are now on automated system it was not possible to verify and talk to any real person until half hour later.
The caller ID shows a cell number that does not exist in the US
They gave me a an 800 number to call them when I arrive at A&P.
I was told to make a cash deposit to PAYPOWER at A &P on 18th street, Jersey city and to call them when I arrive there.. Had called 911 but was told simply not to pay it. The police could have been more proactive and these scammers would have been apprehended.

Posted on: 2015/6/11 22:30

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017