Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Is work permit supposed to be posted?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Reminds me my childhood in Soviet Russia. Friendly neighbors who have local KGB office number written on the wall, just above the telephone. Good luck with the building department, hope you don't have any violations yourself.

One should celebrate the neighbors who care enough about their community to be making sure the homes near theirs are built correctly and are up to code. This isn't a matter of "snitching." In some cases, it's a matter of major safety.

In two of the homes we bought and rehabbed (with proper permits) in the Heights, there were so many lick 'em and stick 'em construction issues we had to unravel and fix, it was ridiculous. The most egregious was electrical work that was so hazardous and non-code it was by a miracle there hadn't been a major fire.

So kudos to you, Sam, for not turning the other cheek and not swimming in the apathetic soup that brings our community down.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 23:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sam112 wrote:
Anyway, my reasons for wanting to know if the work is permitted: First this company knows better and should be getting permits.

Don't assume this. Acquiring building permits fall on the shoulders owner, not the contractor. Contractors care about money. If they're getting paid, they won't care what the city says they can or can't do.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
HeightsBrat, Thanks for the info. Found out they do not have a permit.

KOCTEP, I'm not talking about some small homeowner who wants to put up some new kitchen cabinets. First this a major real estate corporation with hundreds of buildings in Jersey City that is buying cheap, then doing massive renovations and then seeking very high rents (you could probably buy a whole town in the Soviet Union for a couple months of the rent they are seeking for some properties). The question of the justice of inflated rents aside, if they can get decent tenants who care and are invested in the property, fine ... but, we'll see.

Anyway, my reasons for wanting to know if the work is permitted: First this company knows better and should be getting permits. Second, let them pay increased property taxes for the renovations -- they can afford it, they will be charging enough rent, and why should my tax bill be increased to subsidize their work on the sly. Third, I'd like to make sure the work is done right. There have been too many fires in this town due to half assed wiring and I'm not about to vouch for their workers.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 22:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 15:46
From Departing Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Reminds me my childhood in Soviet Russia. Friendly neighbors who have local KGB office number written on the wall, just above the telephone. Good luck with the building department, hope you don't have any violations yourself.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

owlie wrote:
He must be making a lot of noise that is disturbing you?

If he is doing major renovation, plumbing, ripping down walls, electric, not only should he have a permit, it should be displayed (in the window is a common place). If there is excessive noise at unreasonable hours, call the police. They can also ask to see a permit which the owner or contractor should be able to produce. You can also call the Building Dept. & find out if a permit has been issued & if not, an inspector should be sent to the location to assess the situation.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 11:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
He must be making a lot of noise that is disturbing you?

Posted on: 2014/7/30 5:38

Is work permit supposed to be posted?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
A neighbor who recently bought an adjoining house is apparently doing a major renovation (wood piled up in backyard 5 feet high). How can I tell if he acquired necessary permits? Are permits supposed to be posted?

Posted on: 2014/7/29 23:22

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017