Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
51 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 51

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Construction in Van Vorst Park?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Parkman - as the mother of two boys, I'd like to express our heartfelt thanks for all the work you and your team has put into the park. My two boys has spent many, many wonderful hour playing, exploring, growing, and making friends in the park (all their lives, as a matter of fact).

We're very lucky to have someone as passionate and dedicated as you to help maintain this oasis!!!

One day when my two boys are older (or as I should put it, old enough to stop driving me crazy), I'd definitely like to volunteer some time to the park, and perhaps even acquire a green thumb myself!
Truly, your sentiments are what drives us. This evolution of an historic park where my kids were unable to play due to its condition, and then being able to show what can be accomplished if you have a community that cares about where they live, will hopefully inspire others to be involved in ways they are able, to improve all areas of Jersey City's open spaces.

Posted on: 2014/6/19 3:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Parkman - as the mother of two boys, I'd like to express our heartfelt thanks for all the work you and your team has put into the park. My two boys has spent many, many wonderful hour playing, exploring, growing, and making friends in the park (all their lives, as a matter of fact).

We're very lucky to have someone as passionate and dedicated as you to help maintain this oasis!!!

One day when my two boys are older (or as I should put it, old enough to stop driving me crazy), I'd definitely like to volunteer some time to the park, and perhaps even acquire a green thumb myself!

Posted on: 2014/6/19 3:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Five years ago I decided to try a sprinkler event in VVP for kids under 12 on our pet free lawn for an hour, three times a week during the summer. Each event drew more and more children, so I decided to apply for grants to build a permanent feature in the park.

As one of the applications to Green Acres and Hudson County Open Space grants through the Jersey City Parks Coalition, of which we are members, we received $80,000 from the state and $40,000 from the county, to build a Sprayground adjacent to our current playground.

The concept was through the Friends of Van Vorst Park, Inc, which is a 501 ?)(3) non-profit, and was approved by the Jersey City Council for construction as a donation to the city.

It took the last five years to get local, state, and county approvals to start construction, and I hope to open the Sprayground by July 4th weekend. The only thing that will be missing for three weeks will be the learning element that needs to be applied after the cement has cured for 28 days. This will include a snake shaped alphabet, compass, clock, numbered hopscotch, and color wheel, which can be used as a learning area when it?s not in use as a Sprayground.

I would like to thank the Jersey City Parks Coalition, who is made up of your neighbor volunteers that are trying to develop and improve many of our parks that have been ignored or abandoned by the city due to financial constraints, the city?s Architectural Department, particularly Brian Weller, its Director, our past and present mayors and council, who have supported this project, community members who know we are short of funds and have contributed, and those that appreciate what we are trying to accomplish in this little oasis in our urban environment.

That is the short answer.

parkman

Posted on: 2014/6/19 2:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
I could tell you, but then I'd have to send you to Bayonne.
Let me finish watching Think you can Dance, and I'll explain.

parkman

Posted on: 2014/6/19 0:33

Construction in Van Vorst Park?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/19 0:39
Group:
Registered Users
hi, does anyone know what is going on in van vorst park? thanks.

Posted on: 2014/6/18 23:59

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017