Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Collecting on Pie
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
At yesterday's council meeting I brought up the subject of the city mailing out the first two quarters of 2014. This was in my letter to Jim. The Business Administrator did admit they mailed out estimated quarters. But if the money is spent by the mayor, how can the council make cuts? The administration did not inform the city council they were mailing out estimated bill. Below is my letter to Jim.

I read Jim Behrle's letter to the editor in which he said, "I don't think taxes are going to go up relentlessly up with this mayor and council. If I'm wrong, I'll buy you a slice of pie at the VIP Diner "? in four years." Well, Jim I am ready to collect on that pie now because taxes went up under this administration and you are not even aware of it.

Only the 3rd and 4th quarters should have been mailed to taxpayers. Jersey City has reverted back to a calendar year from a fiscal. Fiscal years ends on June 30 but a calendar year ends Dec. 31. This new administration mailed the first and second quarters for next year with the 8 percent increase built in. There have been no department hearings nor has the administration given the council a copy of the mayor's budget. The council did not vote on the first six months of next year but if taxpayers do not pay, they are hit with an 18 percent interest payment.

This is what should have happened, the city could have only mailed the estimated first quarter (February) in January 2014 while the council holds department hearings. The whole process could have been finished with the council adopting the Calendar Year Budget for 2014 in March.

I am quite sure the new administration will say, we do not know how much money we will receive from the state and we cannot do the budget. My answer is "baloney." The city changed to a fiscal year in 1991 to be on line with the state but the process was even slower so it reverted back to a calendar year.

Personally, I believe the 1st and 2nd tax quarters are illegal since only the council can adopt a budget under the Faulkner Act, Now returning to your offer, I like my pie with a cup of coffee.

YVONNE BALCER

Posted on: 2013/9/12 23:43

Re: Collecting on Pie
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I'd like a chance to respond to Yvonne Balcer's recent letter (Letter writer owes me pie; Friday). Of course, I'll buy you a slice of pie and a cup of coffee from the VIP Diner! But, it might be a tad hasty to declare yourself the winner of the bet that taxes will go relentlessly up under Mayor Fulop and this City Council.

As long as you agree that when I'm proven correct over the course of the bet that taxes in fact did not go up and up and up, that you're gonna owe me some tasty treats from Ward C. Tell me where to deliver the pie or where you want to meet up!

JIM BEHRLE
I am always at the council meetings Jim.
Yvonne

Don't do it Yvonne, people will think you're a tart.

Posted on: 2013/9/11 20:36

Collecting on Pie
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I'd like a chance to respond to Yvonne Balcer's recent letter (Letter writer owes me pie; Friday). Of course, I'll buy you a slice of pie and a cup of coffee from the VIP Diner! But, it might be a tad hasty to declare yourself the winner of the bet that taxes will go relentlessly up under Mayor Fulop and this City Council.

As long as you agree that when I'm proven correct over the course of the bet that taxes in fact did not go up and up and up, that you're gonna owe me some tasty treats from Ward C. Tell me where to deliver the pie or where you want to meet up!

JIM BEHRLE
I am always at the council meetings Jim.
Yvonne

Posted on: 2013/9/11 17:09

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017