Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
143 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Jersey City election 2013: at-large council candidate debate in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City election 2013: at-large council candidates debate abatements, infrastructure

By Anthony J. Machcinski/The Jersey Journal
April 18, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Six candidates for at-large seats on the City Council shared their visions for Jersey City tonight to a crowd of about 75 gathered inside School 28 in The Heights.

The candidates involved in tonight's forum included Omar Perez, who is running on a slate headed by Mayor Jerramiah Healy.

Also present were incumbent Councilman at large Rolando Lavarro and candidates Joyce Watermann and Daniel Rivera, who are all running with mayoral candidate Councilman Steven Fulop.

Ramon "Ray" Regalado and Sean Connelly, who are running on a ticket headed by Jerry Walker, were also present.

Team Healy candidates Councilwoman at large Viola Richardson and Councilman at larger Peter Brennan did not attend.

The candidates addressed several hot button issues, including recycling and quality of life issues. The hottest topic, though, was tax abatements, the long-term tax breaks the city uses the lure developers to build in the city.

"I'm completely against tax abatements," Regalado said tonight. "Why should we give tax abatements to people who want to come to the best land in Jersey City?"

Many of Regalado's opponents said that abatements can be great, if used right.

"I am for tax abatements in the right community," Watterman said, adding that when abatements are negotiated, they can benefit residents of Jersey City.

Perez said the city needs to use abatements as a way to "start growing outside of the Gold Coast."

The candidates also discussed the city's aging infrastructure.

"I would like to drive through our city without needing a tire iron," Connelly said, adding that the city has the money to improve roadways.

Rivera said that Jersey City is a normal city built in the 1800s and the fact that "no one to date has dealt with any of the infrastructure is shameful."

Lavarro added, "Our aging infrastructure needs to be addressed. We need to get creative in dealing with this financial burden."

The citywide election will take place on May 14, when the mayoralty and all nine City Council seats are up for grabs.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... large_c.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/4/19 9:11

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017