Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Good Friday, some time ago, Edwin Booth saves Robert Todd Lincoln in Jersey City?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
What a cool story...worth following up with this article containing an excellent bit of history confirming the story to be true - however debunking the different versions that have floated around for quite some time:

http://www.historynet.com/edwin-booth

I was recently reading a history of the transcontinental railroad with my daughter - a story which follows the travels of Robert Louis Stevenson - and they included a surprising narrative that described Stevenson's time aboard the Jersey City railroads - not great, I might add.

Posted on: 2013/3/29 20:50

Good Friday, some time ago, Edwin Booth saves Robert Todd Lincoln in Jersey City?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
OK, found this "Good Friday" story. No way of knowing if it is true, but it is quite a tale. It really reeks of an "urban legend" type of story. But it would be great if true.

Maybe this should be posted under the "PATH" thread, since it involves train tracks? Anyways, here it is, courtesy of Examiner.com

Edwin Booth, a Shakespearean actor, was at a train station in 1862 or 1863 (historians do not know the exact date) in Jersey City, NJ when a man fell off the platform and onto the tracks. The man was in a helpless position having fallen into an open space along the tracks. Booth quickly sprang into action, jumping down onto the tracks, seizing the man by the coat collar and pulling him to safety. In that situation, the man who was rescued actually recognized his rescuer, calling him by name and thanking him. He later indicated that the man had indeed saved him from potential dangerous injury.

What makes the Civil War story much more interesting is not so much the event itself, but the participants. The rescuer was none other than the brother of the more famous Shakespearean actor John Wilkes Booth. And in fact it was on Good Friday, 1865, when his brother shot President Abraham Lincoln at Ford?s Theater.

The person rescued that day was a Harvard College student who was on holiday, traveling from New York to Washington, DC. He was being accompanied on the trip by his friend John T. Ford, who ironically also owned Ford?s Theater. The student who was rescued by Edwin Booth was Robert Todd Lincoln, President Lincoln?s son.

How about that!

http://www.examiner.com/article/today ... ilar-to-a-civil-war-story

Posted on: 2013/3/29 19:55
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017