Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
64 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 64

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City Heights: School Recommendations?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/13 16:39
Group:
Registered Users
Hi workerbee2!

We live in the Heights and are considering PS 28 and their PreK4 program (and beyond) and really want to learn more from other parents. Can we email offline? jcnew2012@gmail.com
Many thanks

Posted on: 2011/12/13 16:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/14 17:06
Group:
Registered Users
I live in the Heights and seem to be almost the only parent on my street sending my child to the local public school (PS #28). As the previous poster said, the teacher makes all the difference. My son is in K, his PreK teacher last year was excellent. The principal of the school is also great. His teacher in K is "meh" and she is the 3rd K teacher he has had THIS year (they decided to add another K class after the school year started, so randomly took him out of his original class, then had a temp, then had his now permanent teacher) so we are not too happy with the situation.

If you have young children, the best "Abbott" program is Concordia Learning Center on Summit Ave (at St. Joseph's school) but they are only for PreK3. Park Prep Academy on Central is a private preschool on Central Ave that a lot of parents are happy with (Montessori-ish style). If you have a child who might have behavioral issues (like say, 1/2 of all 3 year old boys) I would not recommend it, but if you have a child not likely to have behavioral problems, it is good. I also know parents who have younger children at Mustard Seed School in Hoboken, and are happy with that, and others had their children at the Jewish preschool also in Hoboken, can't remember the name (we looked into it, we are not Jewish--you can attend if you're not Jewish but they definitely are a Jewish preschool--take off/celebrate Jewish holidays, etc.--we just thought it would be too confusing for our son)

For next year I am applying (again) for the lottery for Learning Community Charter School, which is near St. Peter's College. Several children on my street go there and everyone seems to love it, but as a result it is very hard to get in (there is a simple lottery system for admission). Also, obviously you need to deal with the transportation but should be able to arrange carpool and I think there is a bus. They are PreK-8th grade. There is a lottery for PreK and K, older than that the kid will automatically be on the waiting list in some order (also figured out by lottery). We are also applying (again) for Ethical Community Charter school.

Another option is Hoboken Catholic in Hoboken. It is very close to the light rail and I know some parents in the area who send their children there. There are also some charter schools in Hoboken (Hoboken Charter, Elysian Charter) but it is almost impossible to get in as a non-resident.

I have not really heard much about Liberty Academy Charter, or St. Nicholas parochial, but those are other options.

Honestly we are thinking of moving out of the area partly because of the schools :(.

Posted on: 2011/12/9 15:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/12 11:58
Group:
Registered Users
What age are the kids?

Having asked that I will say as parent of an 8 year old:

PS #8, - as in all JC public elementary schools if your kid gets a good teacher, all is good. The administration? I would rate as below average but that is probably true for nearly all JC public elementary schools. Two years ago my then 6 year old needed some special education. The Special Ed teacher was truly less than worthless. I tried complaining a bit but soon realized it would be a waste of time, the system protected the infective teacher.

St Nicholas- I looked into this, felt it was probably a good school but did not fit our needs. I have a friend who's 4th grader has attended since Kindergarten, he is, and always has been, satisfied. I would not hesitate to send my kid their now.

Liberty Academy Charter - Probably OK. However, I read some of the reviews and gave it a pass. I might use it if it were closer to my home but would never be thrilled about it.

This will be the second year I haul my kid (now 3rd grade) to Ethical Community Charter on Broadway. Not in The Heights but I truly feel it is worth the trip. While I do not use it, there is a reasonably priced school bus that runs in AM. In PM I presently car pool with one other parent, so only need to pick up 1/2 the time. Last year it was 3 parents sharing evening pickup, that was even better. It is a relatively new charter but I have been overwhelmed by the response to situations. Seems like they strive to provide what is best for the kid in all ways.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2011/12/1 3:13

Jersey City Heights: School Recommendations?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 2:57
Group:
Registered Users
Hey everybody,

Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions as to?:

-good public schools in Jersey City Heights

-good charter schools in the Heights

-good private schools in the Heights

Any insight from parents and/or caregivers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your help!

Posted on: 2011/11/30 21:45

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017