Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Basement Apartment Question

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/11 20:53
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds like it would work fine for me. Has a separate entrance and all - bathroom already there - so thats all Id need.

Thank you agian for your help and suggestions - much appreciated!

Posted on: 2011/8/8 4:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/12 11:58
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, the common area is the staircase(s) and Foyer.

Don't create a kitchen. Just consider the existing basement space as part of the 1st floor.
You will still have a 3 family but live (sleep) in the basement and get "roomies" that live on the first floor.
Use your micro on a table in the basement living area and go in peace.

Overwhelming odds are that it even if it is possible, it will not be cost effective to change it to a legal 4 family.

More about creating rooms.....You can create STORAGE rooms in a basement BUT.... for appraisal and valuation purposes they can not be considered bedrooms unless they have alternate escape routes, are significantly above grade with windows of a minimum size. There are other details but these are the highlights.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 0:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for taking the time to respond, greatly appreciated. This is a very friendly and informative message board :)

Id estimate the basement is about 50% below grade.

The full bathroom (that is in excellent condition) is already existing. My consideration was creating a kitchen because what I have read was that it was required. If I didnt need one to legally be able to live it in - I wouldnt bother. Because like I said, the microwave and I get along very well.

The widows are completely above the ground sp I would assume (again, I will need at some point to hire a professional) that bedrooms could be created.

So I guess the situation Id be in from a cost perspective is - to be considered a legal unit - does there have to be a kitchen? Or Can it just be living area with a full bathroom. (Because that would be totally suitable to me)

And as far as the sprinklers go - when you say common area - You mean the foyer and stairway walk up areas? That would be the only common area among the current 3 units.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 20:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/12 11:58
Group:
Registered Users
I would agree with all lolo says above and add:

If your basement is significantly below grade it will not be possible to add or change it to a separate apartment. This may not be an issue in your situation as you describe many windows and doors.

If you are adding a kitchen or bath in the basement, it will not only be costly (very) but may not be possible while also adhering to local codes.

If it is already a 3 family, to increase it to a 4 fam will necessitate adding fire sprinklers to the common areas (if it is not already sprinkled) Make sure you check on this, I have found numerous people that were significantly into planning and budgeting on projects like yours before they found this out. Even architects without JC work experience have been surprised with this after they have put significant time into the project.

You can use the basement as living area. no limitations on this. A simple way to put it is: If you do not add or significantly change any plumbing, your permit and zoning needs are minimal. You can create rooms but you may not be able to call them bedrooms unless they have daylight (a window that is 50% above grade). And alternative fire escape routes (IE through windows that are large and accessible enough)

You can also find numerous "contractors" (they will most likely be unlicensed with no insurance) that would be happy to take your money and put in a kitchen or bath with no permits. If you get caught you will pay dearly to bring things in compliance. Keep in mind an unlicensed contractor has no virtually risk or liability in this situation.

If you go the licensed contractor route, make sure they are experienced with JC. Do not allow them to take any shortcuts with permits and zoning.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 15:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, for sure!! My skills are very limited if it went beyond anything super simple. If youve used anyone who does good work, Im open to suggestions.. I know no one.

First I have to find out some good information though - I dont want to do some work and find out it was pointless to have it done.

I guess worst case, I can get myself some roommates - that Id never see. Bec from my reading I see you can use the basement as living area as an extension of the first floor.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 1:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/29 3:50
Group:
Registered Users
If I were you, I would shell out the $$ to hire a good contractor who works often in Jersey City. If you need a permit of any sort (and you probably will) or a C of O or anything, it's worth the money.

I spent five Monty Python-like hours at the Jersey City Dept of Buildings just this week and advise you to avoid visiting their office (on Montgomery Street by the water) unless you have a few hours to burn and unending patience. Any information you get from the public servants there will be incomplete or incorrect, and it will certainly be given in a hostile manner. The petit napoleons there certainly don't want to deal with you, a tax-paying citizen and property owner.

Just save yourself a lot of trouble and time and hire someone.

Posted on: 2011/8/6 22:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well thank you for that response. Sounds logical. Im def going to look into this with the zoning board at some point, but wanted some opinions and ideas. So any others would also be appreciated. Just want to get an idea of what I might have to go thru.

Funny part is all of this has raised a new concern now - I looked up a zoning map last night for Jersey City, http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/uploa ... /RFP/ZoningMap28Jan09.pdf

And the house I am trying to finalize purchase on is CLEARLY in an R-1 zone. Which says 1 and 2 family homes. So before I take this any further I think I may visit the town offices.

Posted on: 2011/8/6 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I believe that once you alert the city that you intend to live in the basement that you have to apply to zoning to convert to from a 3 to a 4-family house. Depending on the neighborhood, you may or may not be granted the zoning change. You would probably have to apply for permits for the kitchen construction. And you, most assuredly, would go through an immediate tax reassesment because you are changing the use of the building. I may be wrong but I think that's what would happen.

Posted on: 2011/8/6 13:40

Basement Apartment Question

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Good evening Jersey City residents!

Ive noticed a few questions about basement apartments listed in this forum - but none of them really answered my question. Im not looking to rent one - Im looking to live it in myself.

Im about to close on a 3 family house in Jersey City. The whole street has 2 and 3 family houses on it. 2nd and 3rd floor are fully rented. And I planned to live on the first floor.

Im single, and the first floor apartment is 3 bedrooms. I am moving to this from a studio apartment, and was just laughing today at the amount of furniture I am going to need to buy and how empty it is going to seem. But it gets me way closer to work and I stop throwing away money on an apartment.

Then I had a thought. The basement of this 3 family is fully finished - It may actually be in better condition than the actual units. The floors are nicely tiled, the walls and ceilings are all sealed up. Probably 7 to 8 feet head clearance. 2 front windows, 4 side, and 2 back windows. A separate walk in entrance directly from the front of the house, a second entrance from the lobby once you enter the main part of the house, and steps and two steel doors that lead to the outside back yard.

When you enter from the front door, You come down three concrete and brick steps and enter into a room that I would say 15-18 wide by 15 long. As you walk towards the back of the house, there is a hallway - normal size that divides the left and right side of the basement about 33%/66%. On the left there is a full bathroom with shower (same size as the other three bathrooms in the house which are directly above it on the other floors)(No Window but a fan in the fixture), then there is a boiler room (with a closeable door), then a final room on the left hand side has a sink and washer dryer hook ups. Right above this final room would be the kitchens of all of the above units. On the right side is 2 additional rooms. Basically a carbon copy of the upstairs units but to a smaller scale - and 1 less room.

I was considering putting in a small efficiency type kitchen - I do not cook - so a microwave, refrig, sink (plumbing is existing), counter/cabinets and some storage would work for my needs. Then I would use the front room as my living room and one of the rooms as a bed room. The final room would just be for my storage.

Is this something I can do? I have no intention on renting it to anyone - its perfect for my own use. I work alot of hours and basically sleep and shower. What do I need to do? Register it with the city? Can I just do it because I own the building and would be living it in myself? I wouldnt be surprised if someone lived down here at some point!

Any help from those of you with knowledge on the situation would be much appreciated. If you can refer me to someone would could help me with this - that would also be great!

Thanks! And looking forward to moving to Jersey City!

Posted on: 2011/8/6 1:47

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017