Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Replacing Trees that were Removed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Quote:

parkman wrote:
If you decide to ask to them to replace the tree or offer to do so yourself, please be aware we have planted only cherry and pear trees on this section of Montgomery and it would be nice to keep it consistent.

Aren't those the ones that are prone to splitting and regularly drop large limbs onto cars in heavy winds?
They do look nice, but maybe something else would be more appropriate.
Twenty years ago the default street tree was the Bradford Pear, it looked beautiful in bloom but it had one major drawback, it usually had competing leaders that creates a weak center structure and as a consequence would sometime split at maturity.

There are now alternative varieties such as ?Chanticleer?, Redspire, or Capital, which have better structure. There are also Bradfords that are cultivated to have a single leader.

Posted on: 2011/4/19 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

parkman wrote:
If you decide to ask to them to replace the tree or offer to do so yourself, please be aware we have planted only cherry and pear trees on this section of Montgomery and it would be nice to keep it consistent.

Aren't those the ones that are prone to splitting and regularly drop large limbs onto cars in heavy winds?
They do look nice, but maybe something else would be more appropriate.

Posted on: 2011/4/19 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Tommyc that house just sold, so you would have to approach the new owners. If you decide to ask to them to replace the tree or offer to do so yourself, please be aware we have planted only cherry and pear trees on this section of Montgomery and it would be nice to keep it consistent.

If you call Parks and Forestry to find out the next planting dates, ask for Al Lynch at 201 547-4449, he has this info. He will put you on a list for this Fall, let you know what choices of trees are available, and send the necessary forms to fill out.

Posted on: 2011/4/19 18:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/25 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
The tree is never free:

If you get the property owner's signature you would pay $100.00.

If it is your property, you would pay $100.00.

I thought you might want to contact the property owner to inform them of this city program. They may be interested in taking advantage of the low cost ($100.) themselves.

In my opinion, the people who dug out their oil tank should be OBLIGED to replace the tree, but I don't know if there is a rule on the books (that's why it would be good to contact the Mayor's Action Bureau).

The Parks Dept.'s low cost tree program is limited to 100 trees -- so it's important to get the application in as soon as the Parks Dept. announces the 2011 program (the trees are planted in the Fall). Worth a call to find out details...worth the call just to speak to the woman I spoke to...She said it would be an eyesore (!) to plant a tree in front of an abandoned building.

Posted on: 2011/4/19 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Only in JC would somebody in the f'ing Parks Department ask you why you would want a tree. It's unbelievable.

Wait, so if you get the homeowner's signature, nobody pays for the tree, but if you don't get the homeowner's signature, you have to pay $100?

Sorry NewtoJCHeights, but your post was a little unclear.

Posted on: 2011/4/19 16:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/25 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
My husband and I have a similar situation. We have a house next door which is basically abandoned until the market turns (the owner pays taxes). It has a large grassy cut in the sidewalk. We would like to have a tree planted there...so we contacted the City Department of Public Works Division of Parks and Forestry. We received an application for the 2010 Fall Tree Planting. The city supplies the tree and plants it. And there is a way to have one of these trees planted on someone else's property -- you would need their signature. Of course this would be a method for YOU to pay for the tree (about $100. through the city) and, I suppose, you would have to wait till 2011. You can also approach the owner with this option -- it is a significantly reduced rate for a tree.
I do suggest you call the Parks Dept. yourself: (201 547 4449. Be prepared to be received with skepticism by the female answering the phone. In response to my inquiry she said "why would you want a tree????" Frankly, I was appalled by her attitude -- she works for the Parks Dept!
You might also try reporting the issue to the Mayor's Action Bureau (201) 547-4900/5555 They have been somewhat responsive.
Anyhow, good luck!

Posted on: 2011/4/19 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(don?t know if you knew of the site, maybe give them a call instead of email, who knows maybe they will listen)

(I am pretty sure the homeowner has to request the tree)

Division of Parks and Forestry

?Responsible also includes maintenance of all city trees throughout the city of Jersey City, tree trimming, root shaving of tree, stump grinning, tree removals and the planting of trees.?

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/public_works.aspx?id=1430

**interesting also found this from JC independent about the annual city tree planting program from Nov 2010...

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... es-for-curbside-planting/

Posted on: 2011/4/19 16:34

Replacing Trees that were Removed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
A month or 2 ago, an oil tank was removed on Montgomery Street between Barrow and Jersey. In the process, a tree was removed from the sidewalk, leaving a barren space on a formerly nice, consistantly tree-lined block.

Shouldn't the homeowner, who has an oil tank removed, be required to replace the tree? Or is this the city's responsibility?

I emailed Councilman Fulop, and he replied to me and copied a few people from the Parks Department on his response to me, but then he emailed me separately saying that the individuals in the parks department don't check their email! LOL, what a joke.

What can be done to request a tree planting?

Posted on: 2011/4/19 16:23

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017