Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: PETER STUYVESANT MONUMENT - The Jersey Journal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe I am wrong about the chain of events, if I am I hope someone will step in and correct me but the way I understand the story it went like this: The city allowed the school to take the peter Stuyvesant monument without asking the public if we were O.K. with having a cultural touchstone taken away. We were promised the school would put up a new monument in the place of the one they were stealing. The school wanted to install our monument outside their building instead of actually paying for a monument themselves. I lost track of the story at that point but perhaps there was no information made public, but at a certain point the school decided not to use the stolen monument. Now the city is asking the PUBLIC to pay to have the monument returned?

Posted on: 2011/3/14 19:24

PETER STUYVESANT MONUMENT - Fundraiser

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/26 3:22
From Jersey City/New York City
Group:
Registered Users
Save the date! The Peter Stuyvesant Homecoming Fundraiser is slated for Monday, March 28, 2011 at the Casa Dante Restaurant. For the $75 fundraising level you can attend the general reception from 7:00pm - 9:00pm and for the $250 fundraising level you can attend the cocktail hour and fundraiser from 6:00pm - 9:00pm. This special event is sponsored by the City of Jersey City in close collaboration with the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy and a committee of local preservationists. The goal is to raise much-needed restoration funds for the 1913 J. Massey Rhind-designed bronze statue that was removed last year from its position in front of MLK School on Bergen Avenue. Below you will find the official RSVP form. If you cannot attend the event the City will gratefully accept your mailed donation for $50 and up. Checks should be made out to Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy/Stuyvesant Fund and mailed to: JC Landmarks, P.O. Box 68, Jersey City, NJ 07303-0068 Thank you very much for supporting this important preservation campaign! More info can be found on the JC Landmarks website at www.jclandmarks.org.

Posted on: 2011/3/13 22:55

Re: PETER STUYVESANT MONUMENT - The Jersey Journal

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, this link to the Peter Stuyvesant Monument article is more comprehensive and features the full text, slide show, and three short films:

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ndmarks_the_statue_o.html

- PTV

Posted on: 2011/2/7 14:46

PETER STUYVESANT MONUMENT - The Jersey Journal

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Read today's (Monday) and tomorrow's (Tuesday) Jersey Journal article about the historic Peter Stuyvesant Monument, which was ripped from its pedestal near Journal Square in 2010 and now sits inside a stone yard on Tonnelle Avenue:

http://www.nj.com/columns/jjournal/in ... 97063561272700.xml&coll=3

There is an accompanying Stuyvesant slide show as well:

http://photos.nj.com/4505/gallery/leg ... ter_stuyvesant/index.html

-PTV

Posted on: 2011/2/7 11:20

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!