Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JC history and Barry Lewis' walking tours
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy - jclandmarks.org

leads historical walking tours - mostly during Preservation Month, but other times of the year as well.

some of the tours have been - Lafayette, Light Rail, Warehouse District, Heights, Bergen Square, Harsimus Cove, Hamilton Park among many others including a "Five Finger Discount" tour.

Posted on: 2008/12/12 23:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
The Summit House: Exposed beams made from dismantled ships from the 1700's

Posted on: 2008/12/12 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Correction:

Quote:

One speaks to the Commerce Clause. Perhaps the most important provision in the Constitution in its reach. That case is Gibbons v. Ogden (1824).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibbons_v._Ogden

Ogden ran his ferries from New York to Elizabeth(town). I'm not sure if ferries to JC were involved, but the same waters and parties were in dispute.

Ogden only moved to JC to practice law in 1829.

Posted on: 2008/12/12 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
thanks, i will.

also, a few notable Supreme Court cases.

One speaks to the Commerce Clause. Perhaps the most important provision in the Constitution in its reach. That case is Gibbons v. Ogden (1824).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibbons_v._Ogden

Another regards the Sherman Antitrust Act and the Commerce Clause. I mentioned American Sugar... by which I was referring to the Sugar House and United States v. E.C. Knight (1895). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._E._C._Knight_Company

And then there is one about the 1st Amendment's freedom of assembly/ association:
(Frank) Hague v. Cmte for Industrial Organization (1939).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hague_v._CIO

The ACLU's recent set of cases, ACLU v. Schundler, don't rise to that level, but they're important as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACLU_v._Schundler

Posted on: 2008/12/10 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 18:21
Group:
Banned
Quote:

alanwright wrote:
I recently wrote the email below to Barry Lewis to encourage him to do a walking tour of JC.

I accidentally left out Van Vorst Mansion, the Apple Tree House, and St. John's on Summit among many others.

What else am I missing?

---------

I've seen a number of your programs over the years: Harlem, Bronx, Brooklyn, Newark. Have you considered doing a tour in Jersey City? I know you've done one of Hoboken.

JC does not have the strength and industrial might which Newark once had, but as I'm sure you know, it has a great history:

* The Revlutionary War: The Battle of Paulus Hook and the New Jersey Campaigns;

* sordid politics: from Hague alone we had red-baiting and child labor; ballot-stuffing; influence on Roosevelt and the flow of New Deal money; waves of corruption thereafter; etc.

* notable notables: Frank Sinatra (Hoboken-born, lived in JC and is said to have visited the Loew's Theatre); Frank Vincent (Sopranos, etc); Nathan Lane (The Producers); Richard Kuklinski (mass murderer!); Martha Stewart (born in JC); Bobby Hurley (winningest high school basketball coach in the nation. his protegees are his only rivals).

* longstanding and/or monopolistic businesses: Lorillard Tobaco; American Sugar; Colgate; Standard Oil, I think.

* oddities and incidents: the Black Tom explosion; home to one of the nation's most eclectic, free-form radio station, WFMU; diverse communities including South Asian, Irish, Polish, Phillipino, Italian... and on it goes. Perhaps the 2nd most diverse municipality in the country. Or maybe Hudson County is the 2nd most diverse county.

Of course, some of our architecture is no longer standing, though much of it has been preserved:

* The Loews Jersey - a functioning 1929 movie palace on Journal Square;

* Liberty State Park & Lackawanna Terminal for example; Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and the NJ-mainland as the place where immigrant feet first landed;

* The Bergen Arches - old rail lines cut in the days when so many tons of American import/export came through this shabby town;

* The Powerhouse for the Hudson Tubes, renovation status on the way;

* The Art-Deco Jersey City Hospital and Margaret Hague maternity ward - now under renovation as a condo;

* The Jersey City Armory: formerly a home to boxing and an extremely well-known velodrome;

* The beginning of the massive Holland Tunnel construction undertaken here... cutting right through the old gerrymandered neighborhood, The Horseshoe, which was the heart of the old Irish power base;

* Dickinson High School;

* The Embankment through downtown - elevated rail lines; legal status currently under review by District Court of NJ (or DC?) regarding Surface Transportation Board ruling;

* many old Victorians near Lincoln Park and in Greenville. Nearby are some old synagogues. Not far are St. Aloyisius and St. Patrick's Cathedrals;

* Dixon Mills - formerly a graphite factory; now a condo bldg;

* The White Eagle Hall - old Polish Catholic meeting place downtown;

* "Open Shaft" a factory next door to the WEH which was restored as a residence;

* Pohlmann Hall in the Jersey City Heights - http://pohlmannhall.com/history.htm

And a few that are no longer with us:

* Boyle's Thirty Acres (once held the largest ever prize fight: Dempsey-Carpentier);

* Roosevelt Stadium;

* a few old factories which were not converted into condos.

This is great, I've seem many of Barry's walking tours and have been fascinated by how much I thought I actually new and was able to learn, this dude is excellent.

You left out the famous "Joe Lewis" fight that took place in Mcginley Square in the late 20's early 30's if I'm not mistaken.....

Good Luck and let us all know if Barry writes back to you...

Posted on: 2008/12/10 19:47

JC history and Barry Lewis' walking tours
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I recently wrote the email below to Barry Lewis to encourage him to do a walking tour of JC.

I accidentally left out Van Vorst Mansion, the Apple Tree House, and St. John's on Summit among many others.

What else am I missing?

---------

I've seen a number of your programs over the years: Harlem, Bronx, Brooklyn, Newark. Have you considered doing a tour in Jersey City? I know you've done one of Hoboken.

JC does not have the strength and industrial might which Newark once had, but as I'm sure you know, it has a great history:

* The Revlutionary War: The Battle of Paulus Hook and the New Jersey Campaigns;

* sordid politics: from Hague alone we had red-baiting and child labor; ballot-stuffing; influence on Roosevelt and the flow of New Deal money; waves of corruption thereafter; etc.

* notable notables: Frank Sinatra (Hoboken-born, lived in JC and is said to have visited the Loew's Theatre); Frank Vincent (Sopranos, etc); Nathan Lane (The Producers); Richard Kuklinski (mass murderer!); Martha Stewart (born in JC); Bobby Hurley (winningest high school basketball coach in the nation. his protegees are his only rivals).

* longstanding and/or monopolistic businesses: Lorillard Tobaco; American Sugar; Colgate; Standard Oil, I think.

* oddities and incidents: the Black Tom explosion; home to one of the nation's most eclectic, free-form radio station, WFMU; diverse communities including South Asian, Irish, Polish, Phillipino, Italian... and on it goes. Perhaps the 2nd most diverse municipality in the country. Or maybe Hudson County is the 2nd most diverse county.

Of course, some of our architecture is no longer standing, though much of it has been preserved:

* The Loews Jersey - a functioning 1929 movie palace on Journal Square;

* Liberty State Park & Lackawanna Terminal for example; Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and the NJ-mainland as the place where immigrant feet first landed;

* The Bergen Arches - old rail lines cut in the days when so many tons of American import/export came through this shabby town;

* The Powerhouse for the Hudson Tubes, renovation status on the way;

* The Art-Deco Jersey City Hospital and Margaret Hague maternity ward - now under renovation as a condo;

* The Jersey City Armory: formerly a home to boxing and an extremely well-known velodrome;

* The beginning of the massive Holland Tunnel construction undertaken here... cutting right through the old gerrymandered neighborhood, The Horseshoe, which was the heart of the old Irish power base;

* Dickinson High School;

* The Embankment through downtown - elevated rail lines; legal status currently under review by District Court of NJ (or DC?) regarding Surface Transportation Board ruling;

* many old Victorians near Lincoln Park and in Greenville. Nearby are some old synagogues. Not far are St. Aloyisius and St. Patrick's Cathedrals;

* Dixon Mills - formerly a graphite factory; now a condo bldg;

* The White Eagle Hall - old Polish Catholic meeting place downtown;

* "Open Shaft" a factory next door to the WEH which was restored as a residence;

* Pohlmann Hall in the Jersey City Heights - http://pohlmannhall.com/history.htm

And a few that are no longer with us:

* Boyle's Thirty Acres (once held the largest ever prize fight: Dempsey-Carpentier);

* Roosevelt Stadium;

* a few old factories which were not converted into condos.

Posted on: 2008/12/10 19:32

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017