Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Lunar eclipse to occur tonight
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/18 20:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I just watched it. Wish I had a telescope handy

Posted on: 2008/2/21 3:37
We are what we pretend to be. So we must be careful what we pretend to be - Vonnegut

Re: Lunar eclipse to occur tonight

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/20 11:32
Group:
Registered Users
You beat me to it...

Anyway, here are some details...

Quote:
8:15 p.m.: A slight stain should appear on the moon's lower left edge - the penumbra, Earth's light outer shadow that the Moon started entering at 7:35 p.m.

8:43 p.m.: A dark bite will appear in the moon's lower left edge. The moon will start entering the umbra, the central dark part of Earth's shadow. The bite will keep growing. And this curved edge of Earth's shadow will be direct visual proof that Earth is round.

9 to 10 p.m.: Telescopes will show the inky shadow of Earth creeping over exquisite bright lunar craters and mountains. In the country, stars will come out in droves across the sky. Saturn and Regulus burn brighter and brighter. The moon will move slowly farther from Regulus and closer to Saturn.

10 p.m.: The last slice of moon will enter the umbra - the start of the eclipse. There may be a lingering yellow or blue rim on the moon's upper right, but the moon as a whole should now look one or more shades of red or orange.

10:26 p.m.: Mid-eclipse. Saturn and Regulus, the heart of Leo the Lion, will burn brightest.

10:52 p.m.: The eclipse will end. A bright sliver of light should break out at the lower left edge of the moon. The last bit of umbra will disappear from the moon at 12:09 a.m., and the penumbra should disappear by 12:45 a.m.

More from Press of Atlantic

Allow me to brag a bit, it was published on my site first: Total Lunar Eclipse

Posted on: 2008/2/20 22:02

Lunar eclipse to occur tonight
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Lunar eclipse to occur tonight

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 | 11:25 AM

Reaches peak at 10:26 p.m.

NEW YORK (WABC) -- Tonight's your last chance to see a total lunar eclipse for nearly three years -- if the weather cooperates.

If skies are clear, the silvery full moon will slowly transform into a dusky red or orange as the eclipse reaches its peak at 10:26 p.m on the East Coast. Then it will slowly revert back to its normal hue by around midnight.

Skywatchers viewing the event through a telescope will also be able to see Saturn and the bright star Regulus on either side of the veiled full moon. Unlike solar eclipses which require protective eyewear, lunar eclipses are safe to view with the naked eye.

Weather could be a spoiler for the total eclipse, however. Forecasters say there's a chance of snow from the heartland to the East Coast.

The next chance to see a total eclipse won't be until December 2010.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=5969356

Posted on: 2008/2/20 21:44

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017