Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Anyone have any experience negotiating bills from JC Medical Center?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Kelc wrote:
The saga continues....

If you really get to be good at doing this and it's hard getting a job in your field after grad school, maybe consider trying, while you're job hunting, to offer to handle insurance matters for, say, $300 per client. (That's probably too low, but maybe charge a small amount for the first couple of guinea pig clients.)

When I had my daughter, I would have gladly paid $500 to someone to deal with all of the insurance matters, but, even though I tried calling around to find someone like, I couldn't find anyone who was into that at any price.

Posted on: 2008/2/7 20:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/2/7 17:11
Group:
Registered Users
The saga continues....

It only took JCMC 4 months to finally acknowledge that they hadn't performed a procedure that they charge me $1847 for. Hurray.

They also charged me $5446 a day for three days that they specifically told me I wouldn't be responsible for....am still waiting to hear back about that one.

But, for anyone out there that has to go through the Charity Care process, I would say two things:

First, Milly (in the JCMC office) is wonderful and so helpful. Definitely meet with her.

Second, the office does not seem to be aware of the state law dictating how income is estimated, so bring the following publication with you to your meeting.

http://www.nj.gov/health/cc/documents/charity_care_section.pdf

Specifically, they tell people that income is estimated solely based on the month prior to entry (which is one of three methods that can be used...and they HAVE TO use the method that results in the lowest estimate...which for me still overestimates but at least gets closer to reality).

If anyone out there finds themself in a similar situation, I'd be happy to share what I've learned.

Posted on: 2008/2/7 17:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/19 21:19
Group:
Registered Users
Declare yourself indigent.

Posted on: 2007/8/14 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Definitely get in touch with the Charity Care Department at JC Medical Center. This is exactly what it is for. You may not have to pay anything.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2007/8/14 13:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/20 19:03
Group:
Registered Users
sorry to hear about your hospitalization and the costs involved in it. My mom was in the hospital for five months in 2005 and we are still trying to resolve billing issues even though she has a very good Aetna plan

If the insurance that you are required to have while attending school does not cover any of this, you may qualify for charity care as your income is probably limited due to being a full-time student. The hospital is required to provide you with information and the paperwork for the state-run charity care program.

If it ends up that you have to negotiate, I would try to pay no more than they would receive from a managed care insurance carrier. For example a MRI would be billed out to the carrier at an estimated $1200.00 and that is probably what they would charge the uninsured patient. The reimbursement from the insurance carrier would be only an estimated $300.00 or so. You see how it goes....the hospital/doctors are not receiving in reimbursement what they are billing out so you could try that route.

Posted on: 2007/8/14 12:11

Anyone have any experience negotiating bills from JC Medical Center?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 21:28
Group:
Registered Users
I was hospitalized for 8 days in the late spring and am now wading through over $60,000 in bills. And, of course, I am a full -time student supporting my also-a-full-time-student husband on a meager stipend. Ha ha ha ha. Ain't life grand?!

So, is there anyone out there with any experience dealing with Jersey City Medical Center bills? Especially looking for any referrals for decent people to contact in their billing department.

I'm actually at the point that I'm afraid to accept my student loan for the coming year because I don't want them to hold that against me as an asset. I'm particularly annoyed that they kept me there several extra days simply because they don't do the procedure that they thought I needed (but didn't) on the weekends. Plus, though I was at an in-network facility (and I made my student insurance status/litmited income known to every single person there...repeatedly), every single doctor that they assigned to me was out-of-network! Lovely!

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Posted on: 2007/8/14 7:01

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017