Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
146 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Buying a condo in JC Heights - anything I should know?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/21 2:29
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a block above you on New York Ave. You should be fine safetywise. I like my block and and consider it very safe.

Tips -

Besides using the lightrail, you also have the buses on Palisades. The 87 is great because it runs a lot - and goes directly to the Hoboken Path terminal. It's also cheaper than the lightrail (and faster depending on traffic). If you need ever to get to midtown / port authority look into using the 99S that also runs up and down Palisades. Bus is great when its raining and snowing (if that ever happens).

Get to know your neighbors. I have a dog so I met alot of people by just walking the dog. People in general are really nice and open. I know most of my neighbors on my block and they are great.

I usually dont walk home from the lightrail after 11pm alone. That's a personal decision because I'm a woman. The times I have though it felt safe and nothing happen. I usually take the bus or a cab from Hoboken.

The laundry place on South and Palisades was just renovated and has good rates for dropoff. It's usually packed.

There's a little bodega on the corner of Bowers and Webster thats pretty decent for emergency runs. The people who run it are nice too.

Parking. The area is a pain for parking. Parking Authority is ridiculous and will boot your car if you have an out of state plate. When I have family visit me - they put the car in a garage in hoboken. There is one right by the 2nd street lightrail stop.

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Posted on: 2007/1/14 19:57

Re: Buying a condo in JC Heights - anything I should know?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/10/30 21:29
Group:
Registered Users
Welcome, you'll find there are quite a few of us on this board, and the numbers are growing.

Things are changing, but the fact is, your new neighborhood does have crime issues. It depends on exactly where you are, but Palisades has definite gang activity. You will note, however, that there are many new condo projects, and the light rail has been making the neighborhood evolve quickly. We are by Pershing Field, and despite some dicey moments, feel safe and pretty quiet on our block.

We lived Downtown for a long time before we bought up here two years ago. We really like the neighborhood feel. I highly recommend getting involved with a neighborhood group--we found that really put us in touch with both the new families, and people who have been here for a long time.

Don't miss Rizzos for pizza and cappuccino on Central by Pershing Field!

Posted on: 2007/1/14 0:46

Buying a condo in JC Heights - anything I should know?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/11/25 14:19
Group:
Registered Users
I'm brand new to the website and soon to be a new resident of JC Heights. As a native NY'er, I'm familiar with the 'elements' of just about every urban neighborhood. However, this is the first time I'm actually investing in real estate in the NYC/NJ area.

Like some others, I'm shunning the cookie cutter model of Hoboken and taking a chance on buying in- what I have been told is- an 'up and coming' area. On the particular block I'm purchasing my condo, there are quite a few buildings being gutted, then rebuilt with new/pricey condos. This is what gave me the indication that I can get bang for my buck as opposed to Hoboken, yet also potentially turn a greater profit on my investment years down the line.

My thoughts are, the more people who decide to buy and live in their own property, the less likelihood of crime and safety concerns. People who spend $400k for a 2 BR condo don't usually rob people or break into cars. While that may not be the case completely right now, hopefully the increase in homeowners will result in the decrease of the criminal element.

I'm buying a place one block east(?) of Palisades (on New York Ave) and I'm having some anxieties about things such as crime, safety - and parking (for myself and my guests)!

I'm a young, single professional man who enjoys walking the streets whenever I want to and intend on spending many Friday/Saturday nights among the Manhattan and Hoboken crowd, then utilizing public transportation and my legs to get me home.

Prior to putting an offer on this condo, I did many nights and weekends of driving through JC Heights - and was grateful for that 70 degree Saturday 2 weeks ago. I figured that would give me a true indication and feel for the neighborhood since everyone was outdoors. Personally, I liked what I saw. An eclectic mix of cultures and everything from young to old in the neighborhood.

Any suggestions, comments, or advice from JC Heights residents?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2007/1/13 23:58

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017