Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
139 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Jerry Walker house-hunting in Jersey City, sparking speculation of mayoral run
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
This should split the vote, things just got interesting.
Amid cheers from a small but vocal crowd, former basketball star Jerry Walker announced his bid for mayor of Jersey City.

"I love this city, and I want to change its direction," Walker said at a press conference in Journal Square today.

Walker, who grew up in Jersey City and starred at St. Anthony High and Seton Hall University, is the founder of the nonprofit Team Walker organization, which operates after-school programs for Jersey City's youth. Walker said he has stepped down as president of the organization to focus on the mayoral campaign.

Walker said he has a four-point plan to improve Jersey City, with education as the number one priority.

"Every kid in this city can learn," he said, referring to perennially low scores by the city's public school students on standardized tests.

Crime, economic development and "holding real estate interests accountable" are Walker's other priorities, he said yesterday.

Incumbent Mayor Jerramiah Healy and Ward E Councilman Steve Fulop are considered the frontrunners in the May 14 non-partisan election.

"Jersey City can get ugly, but I'm ready for the fight," Walker said.

Walker, who lives in the Lafayette section of Jersey City, said that during his time playing basketball professionally in Europe, Jersey City was always the "number one" city he would talk about.

"I never left Jersey City, I've been here all my life. It really is my home," he said.

Community activist Adela Rohena said Walker represents "all sections of Jersey City" and the Latino community supports him because of "his hard work and dedication to Jersey City."

Resized Image

Walker, who has held a permanent part-time position with Jersey City as a Department of Recreation supervisor since 2004, said he'll announce soon a full slate of city council candidates.

JJ

Posted on: 2013/1/15 23:46

Re: Jerry Walker house-hunting in Jersey City, sparking speculation of mayoral run
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
In this part of town we know him as an activist.

Which part of West Orange do you live in?

I don't live in West Orange, I live here, his after school programs are very well known here. Ward A, and Ward F. Get a clue.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 23:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
In this part of town we know him as an activist.

Which part of West Orange do you live in?

Posted on: 2013/1/15 23:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

H-Parker wrote:
Does he have ANY experience in government?

In a word, No. In this part of town we know him as an activist... Here is a brief background of Mr. Walker.

There is nothing average about Jerry Walker. From his towering 6-foot-7-inch, 240-pound stature to the mammoth Big East Tournament championship ring on his left hand to his buoyant personality?everything appears larger than life. At 31, Walker has played for the Seton Hall Pirates, the New Jersey Nets and spent seven years playing basketball abroad in countries like Spain and Turkey. Walker, however, shrugs off his bragging rights.

Founder of Team Walker, an academic and enrichment program for inner-city children, he prefers instead to focus on helping youths and their families. ?Every year, I have a turkey drive for needy families,? he says. For Christmas, ?I?ll dress up as Santa Claus and bring gifts to kids.? Despite his efforts, Walker doesn?t seem satisfied. ?I always feel I want to do more,? he says. It?s this humility that propelled him from Jersey City, N.J., to the prestigious ranks of the NBA?and back.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/1 17:12
Group:
Registered Users
Does he have ANY experience in government?

Posted on: 2013/1/15 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

I guess he really is new to politics. Can someone tell him or his people that his campaign could get fined for stapling JERRY WALKER FOR JERSEY CITY MAYOR 2013 posters on telephone poles all over the city. I am sure that Menendez got fined.(yeah right) Seems a fresh crop showed up on poles this morning.

What next hundreds of road side plastic WALKER FOR MAYOR signs along Rt. 440.

Hey Jerry if you want to ?give back to the community? , don?t trash it with your posters. Geez talk about an eye sore..I still see Wally Shields for Mayor posters on some buildings and poles around JC.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Former basketball star Jerry Walker will announce Tuesday that he plans to run this May to become Jersey City?s mayor.

Walker, a local legend who played basketball for St. Anthony High School and Seton Hall, is a newcomer to local politics.

He will face Mayor Jerramiah Healy, who hopes voters will tap him for a third full term, and Ward E City Councilman Steve Fulop.

Walker will make the announcement tomorrow at noon in Journal Square, according to a press release from his campaign.

Walker is CEO of Team Walker, a nonprofit afterschool program that combines recreational and educational activities.

Rumors have circulated for months that Walker planned to throw his hat in the ring, with the Star-Ledger reporting last February that Walker was house hunting here in Jersey City.

The election is set for Tuesday, May 14. The mayoralty and all nine council seats are up for grabs.Walker for mayor

Posted on: 2013/1/15 13:31

Jerry Walker for Jersey City Mayor 2013
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Jerry Walker, a former basketball star for Seton Hall University and St. Anthony High School is house-hunting in his native Jersey City, The Star-Ledger's Auditor column reports today.

The house hunt has touched off speculation that he may be making a bid for mayor.

"I'm close to finding a home," the 6-foot-7 Walker told The Auditor. "I want to give back to the community so I'm exploring my options."

If he runs, Walker, 41, would join a field of fellow Democrats that includes incumbent Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy and Downtown Councilman Steven Fulop. State Sen. Sandra B. Cunningham is also reportedly toying with the idea of running.
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ton_hall_b-ball_star.html

Posted on: 2012/2/20 1:17

Edited by Webmaster on 2013/2/5 18:31:50

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact