Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Preschools in JC : Reviews Needed!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
We received our PreK-3 enrollment today, we have been assigned to PS5, which is surprising, as PS5 has not had a three year old program in previous years.

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/7/21 0:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/17 15:34
Group:
Registered Users
My son just graduated kindergarten at St. Elizabeth's Child Care Center on Garrison Ave. It costs $650 per month. Two meals and two snacks are included. They open at 7 and close at 5:30, late pickup til 6 for more $.

The day care is structured as a school. All the children were reading by the end of pre-k or early into the kindergarten year. Good academics, great, loving care. If the religious aspect doesn't bother you, I'd highly recommend them.

Posted on: 2012/7/17 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Public preschool registration begins tomorrow - Tuesday 1st May 2012!

http://www.jcboe.org/newboe/images/images/pdf/depts/ec/preknew.pdf

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/4/30 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
I second JPHurst's recommendation of the public pre-school programs, free schooling for 3 and 4 year olds, save yourself $8,000!

My daughter attended the 3 year old program at PS3, which was excellent, and then the 4 year old program at PS37, which was also decent. Several of her friends attended the PS5 four year old program, which was likewise good.

This year I will be registering my 3 year old son at my local school, PS37-Cordero, which does not have a 3 year old program, so he will presumably be one of those bused to PS22.

Registration begins a week from now, Tuesday 1st May - Friday 4th May, between 9am-11am & 1pm-2pm at your local zone school.

Robin.

He may still be sent to 3, but it does not have the capacity to handle every 3 year old downtown. Part of this is because the dual language program has become extremely popular. I believe they have 3 sections now at P.S. 3.

So if you apply for the dual language program, there's a better chance of him being sent to 3. But there are some traditional pre-K 3 classes as well.

One thing to note, the people who administer the dual language program want parents to commit to sending the child not just for pre-K, but through the whole program (which is planned to go through fifth grade). So they are essentially asking people to commit to P.S. 3 as the kid's elementary school.

This is not enforceable however, and I know people who sent their children to Kindergarten at their zone school after pre-K in dual language, largely because the BOE did not provide transportation after pre-k.

Posted on: 2012/4/24 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
The only Montessori school I would recommend in Jersey City is Hamilton Park - it is an excellent, albeit expensive program.

Remember that anyone can get a Montessori plaque for just a small investment. It's the schools that follow the true philosophy that are a rare find. The director at Hamilton Park is passionately dedicated to creating a true Montessori experience - and I admire her for that.

You might also want to try Primary Prep in Journal Square and also Garden Cooperative in Hamilton Park.

Posted on: 2012/4/24 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
My graduate school credits cost only slightly more annually than that Montessori preschool. I sure hope it's worth it.

FWIW you can probably find someone who is unemployed or underemployed with a BA or even MA in child development to nanny for your family for about the same as the cost of those programs; less if you do a "nanny share" with another family.

Posted on: 2012/4/24 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I second JPHurst's recommendation of the public pre-school programs, free schooling for 3 and 4 year olds, save yourself $8,000!

My daughter attended the 3 year old program at PS3, which was excellent, and then the 4 year old program at PS37, which was also decent. Several of her friends attended the PS5 four year old program, which was likewise good.

This year I will be registering my 3 year old son at my local school, PS37-Cordero, which does not have a 3 year old program, so he will presumably be one of those bused to PS22.

Registration begins a week from now, Tuesday 1st May - Friday 4th May, between 9am-11am & 1pm-2pm at your local zone school.

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/4/24 17:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/25 2:29
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks so much for your inputs. I have contacted the OLC school and Little Harbor Academy.

Does anyone have reviews of the other private schools or daycares?

Thanks.

Posted on: 2012/4/24 16:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pikwiks12 wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I am a new member to this forum and am so glad to have found it!

I have just moved to Jersey City and am really looking for a good preschool for my 3 year old son.

I have tours scheduled of the following places and would really appreciate feedback about these places:

1. Hamilton Park Montessori School
2. Early Learning Academy
3. Viaquenti Preschool
4. Montessori School of Jersey City

Any other recommendations are also welcome!

Thanks for your help.

Priya

One good school you should have on your list is Little Harbor Academy - part of the OLC School of Our Lady of Czestchowa, on Marin Blvd. in Paulus Hook. They have programs for kids from toddler-2 through Kindergarten. It's a great alternative between public and independent private schools. Pre-K programs at LHA fill up quickly, just like every other good school in Jersey City. Check out their websites at www.littleharboracademy.org and www.olcschool.org.

This is a Catholic parochial school but you do not have to be Catholic to attend.

Posted on: 2012/4/24 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
We send our daughter to Public School 3. We are very happy with it.

Despite what you may hear from some detractors, any of the four downtown Public Schools (3, 5, 16, 37) are fine. Assuming your child is entering Pre-K 3 in September, P.S. 3 is the only one that actually has a 3 year old Pre-K program. They also have a dual language section where your child will learn English and Spanish.

Because space for pre-K 3 is limited, there are other options. If you sign up your child through your zone school, they will be given a space in a school in another neighborhood. Some downtown kids were placed into 3, others were placed into P.S. 22 which is in Lafayette (busing is provided). Everyone I know that was sent to P.S. 22 likes it as well for the pre-k. Beyond pre-k they have expressed some concerns, but if you live downtown your child won't be sent there for Kindergarten.

Alternatively, there are various contracted out programs for Pre-K 3. The two that are downtown are St. Bridget's Academy and the International Learning Center. Last year, St. Bridget's had an early registration (weeks before the public school registration) so that may have already passed.

Sign up for the public schools starts on May 1st. To get into the dual language program, you first register at your zone school and then prepare a separate dual language application. Both P.S. 3 and P.S. 5 have dual language programs but P.S. 5 starts at pre-K 4.

There are lots of people who feel they have to send their kid to a private school downtown, so there are plenty of options for that. But it really is not necessary.

Posted on: 2012/4/24 15:32

Preschools in JC : Reviews Needed!!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/25 2:29
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hello Everyone,

I am a new member to this forum and am so glad to have found it!

I have just moved to Jersey City and am really looking for a good preschool for my 3 year old son.

I have tours scheduled of the following places and would really appreciate feedback about these places:

1. Hamilton Park Montessori School
2. Early Learning Academy
3. Viaquenti Preschool
4. Montessori School of Jersey City

Any other recommendations are also welcome!

Thanks for your help.

Priya

Posted on: 2012/4/24 15:15

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017