Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: PODS on street?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Hahahaha! That's amazing!

Not as good but close - One day i was walking home and noticed a guy pulling apart our azalea tree (inside our front gate), taking off flowers.

I screamed at him to stop (obviously), and he got all belligerent with me - first saying "no speak english", so i pantomimed why he was going to get his ass kicked for theft, and then, when he realized that I knew he spoke english, he proceeded to tell me he was taking the flowers "for my wife's birthday" (i don't care, douche), and then that "you have too many" flowers.

WHAT?!?! i had too many flowers for myself, and that's why he had the right to steal (and break our tree in the process).

i love jerks!

Posted on: 2012/3/5 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
I'd heard the story of the cobblestones being stolen - but never heard the pergola one... amazing!

and yeah, when my nice trash can got stolen, i was very sad. Hell, i had even painted (with a nice stencil) our name and house number on it. I hate people who steal other people's crap!

When my wife lived up on the Blvd near Journal Square she had a barbeque grill stolen from her back yard. In broad daylight. With the charcoals lit and glowing hot. With the chicken already on it. Talk about take-out!

Posted on: 2012/3/5 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah when we did it we tried to pile a house hold of furniture into the kitchen on the vinyl floor. We did it but didn?t cover the stuff so good. Had saw dust all over it and it stunk from the fumes.

Posted on: 2012/3/2 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I'd heard the story of the cobblestones being stolen - but never heard the pergola one... amazing!

and yeah, when my nice trash can got stolen, i was very sad. Hell, i had even painted (with a nice stencil) our name and house number on it. I hate people who steal other people's crap!

I hope the PODS thing works out - i saw one a few months ago and realized it'd be much easier to just move crap into it once - instead of doing the room-to-room dance with all the crap!

Posted on: 2012/3/2 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
But then again this happened in a city where a counsel member had a Lincoln Park pergola dismantled and brought to his house in the burbs.

that is so outrageously ballsy that I almost love him for it.

Posted on: 2012/3/2 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
ANd yeah - i'm well aware of the street rules. Thankfully, our street is much safer now than it was when we bought here. Heck, i had a beautiful trash can (sturdy, thick, with wheels...) that got stolen (full of trash) right after I got it!

That is sad!

Ok CapnJon I knew you probably had the rules down pat. Just checking on an old-timer as we all should. Those newcomers amaze me. I walked by many a house that had nothing nailed or wired down. I guess it is hard to lose their suburb ways..until that first shinny trash can gets jacked.. that is.

I?ll add a little JC history lesson here for the newcomers. The streets in JC use to be all sweet cobble stone, like down in LSP. (yes that bumpy as* road) In the 80?s there were still a few that were not covered over with asphalt. A few ?construction? companies were caught ripping out entire sections of the old cobble stone streets around JC for their "other" projects. That takes balls! But then again this happened in a city where a counsel member had a Lincoln Park pergola dismantled and brought to his house in the burbs.

Ps ? excellent idea using PODS beats moving crap from room to room to room or the basement.

Posted on: 2012/3/2 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Hi NeverLeft - yeah, been here a long time (GreatGrandpa was a Hague Boy, Grandpa lived up at an orphanage in Hoboken during the Great Depression, and Dad was born at Christ Hospital)... used to be on JCList all the time but gave it up for a few years 'cause i couldn't deal with all the BS that was taking place on here.

ANd yeah - i'm well aware of the street rules. Thankfully, our street is much safer now than it was when we bought here. Heck, i had a beautiful trash can (sturdy, thick, with wheels...) that got stolen (full of trash) right after I got it!

Thankfully, these PODS units are very strong, and don't expect anyone to be able to get into it. Having said that, i'll absolutely be photographing everything that's going in there. Thankfully, 99% of it is just crap that my hoarding tendencies refuse to let me discard!

And thankfully, i'm only going to have all my crap in the POD for a day or two while the floors get re-done....

thanks for the good luck wishes!

Posted on: 2012/3/2 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
From looking at your post count and location you don?t seem to be a newbie to JC from the burbs or Midwest.So I am assuming you are very familiar with the JC rules of the street.

I will not list all of the rules here? not enough time or space.

I?ll skip the higher numbered rules??110- nail or bolt down all outside flower pots down?, ?125- wire down all flowers and shrubs , two loops per stem or branch?, ?310- ?antique? new outside garbage cans with grease or fish oil before being placed in service?

Let me just list the one?s you should brush up on.

?15- anything left on the outside of a JC house structure is considered abandoned property.
Including items left inside locked front yard gates and porch light fixture blubs.?

?20- the thickness of any outside free standing metal storage structure is to be made of heavy gauge .30mm steel ..preferably diamond tip drill bit proof?

?32- anything left at or beyond the curb is instantaneously considered a potential loss. Have all receipts and pictures handy for your auto/house insurance company.?

?63- when moving fairly expensive items in or out of a house always do it in the darkness of night and cover the item with any handy blanket or sheet. Newly purchased flat screen TV?s should be disguised in flat baby crib boxes from IKEA, or flat picnic table boxes from KMART if available. Discard the original flat screen TV box at the store NEVER at home!.?

Good luck!

Posted on: 2012/3/2 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Ten bucks a day for a permit, all need is a photo ID, and pay with money order.

i said to the (very pleasant) woman on the phone "that's it? it's that easy?" and she said "Yep, in jersey city... can you believe it?"

ha ha!

Posted on: 2012/3/2 15:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/4 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Super nice? Are you sure you called the right number?

Posted on: 2012/3/2 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Ok sooo what was the outcome?

Posted on: 2012/3/2 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Just called - they were super nice. Thanks for the number!

Posted on: 2012/3/1 16:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
thank you, i'll give it a shot!

Posted on: 2012/3/1 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
You have to call the DPW: Division of Traffic & Engineering
(201) 547-4470 for the permit.

Posted on: 2012/3/1 15:01
Get on your bikes and ride !

PODS on street?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Everyone, i searched to find any possible answers, but couldn't find any... so i'll ask here.

I want to put a PODS container on the street in front of my house for two weeks - http://www.pods.com/ - as i need to empty the house to put new floors in.

My question - can i get a permit to have a PODS unit on the street for two weeks? I see dumpsters on the street for months, so i figure there may be a way.

Does anyone have any helpful advice?

I feel like if I call the Parking Authority, based on past experience, i'll get nowhere....

Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 2012/3/1 14:56

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017