Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: J CITY Theater's new production: Private Eyes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/8 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Tonight is your last chance to catch this amazing show! Tickets are going fast - so I would recommend getting your tickets online. www.jcity.org

Clay

Posted on: 2011/4/16 16:25

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/27 3:17
Group:
Registered Users
Just want to get the word out (although the show's run is almost over) - I went to this last night with my girlfriend and it was AWESOME! A very well acted and well directed play it absolutely exceeded expectations and we will definitely be going to future productions at the JC Theater!

My only regret was not going sooner!

Plus, they had $2 wine and home made baked goods. C'mon - you can't beat that!

Posted on: 2011/4/15 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Tonight is our 2 for $30 discount night. Buy one ticket and get your second ticket half off!

Come on down and add a little mystery to your life.

Quote from an audience member last night:

"Amazing! This rivals anything I've seen in New York or any of the larger regional theaters in the area. Great job!"

Posted on: 2011/4/14 13:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's not over!

You're not too late!

J CITY Theater's final 4 performances of Private Eyes, begins tonight.

This has been J CITY's most successful show EVER! And tickets are going fast - so be sure to order yours online at www.jcity.org

Don't miss the show that is breaking records!

Here's what folks are saying:

"Your best show yet! I've seen every production and I think this one is the best!"

"Loved it! J CITY always makes me think. Always makes me laugh. I wouldn't miss it. Once again, I'm impressed."

Final four performances are tonight through Saturday - 8pm.

Hope to see you there.

Posted on: 2011/4/13 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Check out our great review from Baristanet!

Nothing is as it seems in ?Private Eyes,? a witty Steven Dietz knockoff of Tom Stoppard, in production at the J City Theater in Jersey City. What starts out as an arrogant director auditioning an actress for a part turns into something very different when he repairs next door for lunch, and something very different again when another director appears on the scene.

Before long, we?re asking ourselves: OK, is this the play within the play, or is there another layer? Are we watching something real, or a dream or a cuckolded husband?s revenge fantasy or a rehearsal? And what?s real anyway, given that we are in a church basement off Hamilton Park, craning our necks around support columns to see the action?

Because nothing is quite as it seems at this theater, either.

The setting would suggest a kind of bargain basement entertainment. But the company, in which nearly everyone seems to be wearing multiple hats, pulls off a very stylish entertainment. You have to like a show where everybody in the cast wears sunglasses indoors at some point.

Sandy Cockrell directs with verve and plays Lisa, the leading lady with a fine actressy bravado and insecurity. Her real-life husband Clay Cockrell is her stage husband Matthew, believable as both petty tyrant and sad sack making stuff up for his therapist. Clay is also executive producer for J City.

Vincent Ticali manages to be both prissy and virile as a visiting artist, a British director on the prowl for new conquests. And Eileen Gaughan is flat-out hilarious in multiple roles, especially, in fedora and, naturally, sunglasses, a Jersey-inflected private investigator. ?I prefer ?dick,?? she informs a somewhat awed Matthew.

Steven Dietz is a rare playwright, one who?s managed to make a living without much in the way of New York productions. The folks at J City are doing justice to one of his better-known works.

?Private Eyes? continues this weekend and next at J City Theater at St. Michael?s Church, 252 Ninth Street, Jersey City.

Posted on: 2011/4/9 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Tonight is our 2 for $30 Thursday night! Buy one ticket at the regular $20 price and get your second ticket for half off!

A great date night!

And don't forget - tomorrow night (Friday) is the Artist Talk back session. Following the performance, the cast, crew and artists of Gallery 9, will be available to discuss their work.

Hope to see you there!

Posted on: 2011/4/7 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Private Eyes begins it's 2nd week of production tonight!

Add a little mystery back into your life with J CITY Theater
at 252 9th Street.

Hope to see you there!

Posted on: 2011/4/6 13:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
What an amazing opening night! Thanks so much to our great audiences!

"The best show yet! This one is my favorite so far!"
Steven Santillian

We continue tonight and for the next two weeks, Wednesdays through Saturdays.

Tickets available at www.jcity.org

Remember - Free Artist reception today from 4pm to 6pm.

Come on down to meet the artists of Gallery 9's art exhibition and the actors of Private Eyes, then take advantage of the dinner and show package at either The Embankment or Hamilton Inn and then come on back for the show. A great Saturday of entertainment!

Posted on: 2011/4/2 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Opening night is tomorrow night! Come on down to J CITY Theater to see a great show!
Hope to see you there!

Posted on: 2011/3/31 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Opening is Friday - so be sure to get your tickets soon.

And don't forget our Dinner and A Show packages with local restaurants:

Option 1:
Just as in the past, The Embankment Restaurant is offering their $30.00 prix fixe meal (3 courses!) for those seeing the show later that night. Just tell your waiter you are seeing the show after the meal.

Option 2:
Hamilton Inn is offering 10% off your entire bill (that's right - not a typo: the entire bill) for those seeing the show later that night. Not to be combined with other specials.

Two great ways to support your local restaurants, see a great show, and save money!

Posted on: 2011/3/28 17:42

J CITY Theater's new production: Private Eyes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
J CITY Theater announces the opening of their new production: Private Eyes by Steven Dietz.

Private Eyes is a ?relationship thriller? - a comedy of suspicion in which nothing is quite what it seems. Matthew?s wife is having an affair with Adrian, a British theater director. Or perhaps the affair is part of the play being rehearsed. Or perhaps Matthew has imagined all of it simply to have something to report to Frank, his therapist. The audience bares witness to the characters? delicious deceptions and are ultimately the detectives - the real private eyes, who search for clues to Dietz?s laugh out loud comedy of surprise and misdirection.

With dialogue that snaps and crackles with biting humor, Dietz explores characters who continually try to tell the truth - but in the end learn the value of ?the comforting white lie?. Secrecy and deception hide the twin fevers of passion and suspicion. To borrow a phrase, Private Eyes is a ?riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma?.

?The cleverest and most artful piece presented at the 21st Humana Festival? - Village Voice

The show runs April 1st through 16th, Friday and Saturday the first week, and then Wednesday?s through Saturday?s for the remaining run.
Time: 8pm.
Tix: $20.00
Address: 252 9th Street

For additional information: www.jcity.org

Posted on: 2011/3/24 18:14

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!