Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Mayor Frank "I am the Law" Hague's House -2600 Kennedy Boulevard fire rains burning debris from roof
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
wood paneled library, which is just stunning.

yup! That was it.

Posted on: 2008/10/10 3:18

Re: Mayor Frank "I am the Law" Hague's House -2600 Kennedy Boulevard fire rains burning debris from roof
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hague's apartment was so big -- something like 20 rooms over 2 floors -- that it was carved into a number of apartments sometime after his death. The one for sale a few years ago may have been the one with his wood paneled library, which is just stunning.

Posted on: 2008/10/9 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
That's terrible. I actually toured this apartment with friends a few years ago when it was for sale.

Great building that needed a lot of work back then.

Posted on: 2008/10/9 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
A few more photos here:

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... e_at_historic_2600_k.html

I'm not sure I buy that 113 apartments were damaged. It appears the majority of the damage would be contained to that one corner. Although I guess water and smoke travel easily throughout a building.

Posted on: 2008/10/9 13:58

Mayor Frank "I am the Law" Hague's House -2600 Kennedy Boulevard fire rains burning debris from roof
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

For more history - just click here

Boulevard fire rains burning debris from roof

Thursday, October 09, 2008
By TOM SHORTELL
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The former Jersey City home of legendary Mayor Frank "I am the Law" Hague caught fire yesterday morning, officials said.

The three-alarm blaze at 2600 Kennedy Blvd. started around 9:34 a.m. as workers on scaffolding at the top of the 10-story building accidentally set a rubber tarpaulin on fire while welding a steel I-beam, Fire Director Armando Roman said.

One of the construction workers, Jose Nejiauyoa, 45, suffered second-degree burns to his left forearm and first-degree burns to his neck, Roman said. Another construction worker suffered smoke inhalation, he said.

Firefighters brought the fire under control in about an hour, Roman said.

Roughly 113 apartments, between the third and 10th floors, sustained moderate water and smoke damage, Roman said. Residents were allowed back into their homes around 11 a.m.

The construction workers from Watertrol Inc., of Scotch Plains, were replacing an exterior I-beam at the northeast corner of the building, officials said.

Residents of the condos said they saw burning debris fall from the upper levels of the building.

Diane Henderson, a resident on the first floor, was in the bathroom when she looked out the window to see what her dog was barking at. "I saw fire coming down from the roof," she said. Lit debris was setting bushes on fire, she said.

City officials said the site did not have building department permits for scaffolding or a sidewalk bridge, and the Fire Department had not issued a permit for welding or burn cutting.

Each penalty carries a $2,000 fine, said mayoral spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill. No summonses have been issued because the federal Office of Safety and Health Administration, which can enforce stricter penalties, is still investigating, she said.

Jason Chupick, secretary of the building's condo association, said the project's architect has worked closely with the city. "I would find that highly improbable," he said of construction happening without the permits.

Regarded as Hudson County's most powerful politician, Hague was mayor from 1917 to 1947.

Posted on: 2008/10/9 13:31

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017