Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Roving Gang of Teens: Monticello and Emory
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
Mr Fulop is new and eager. I am not sure of the old school cats running your neighborhood. Change is coming my dears.

Posted on: 2008/10/5 19:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/20 23:56
From Bergen/Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Getting back on topic, last Saturday night around 11:00, a large group of teens again made their way down Monticello toward Communipaw. Other than being loud, there was nothing to warrant a call to the police. I still have to wonder if there isn?t some sort of event in the area. In other cities, it is commonplace to have police officers present at such events to ensure that pedestrian traffic moves along to bus stops and other modes of transportation. As mentioned, this is a concern for all of the city and not just certain areas as evidenced by recent events downtown also. I?m not sure what bureaucratic steps are now taken to hold events and make them safe for those attending as well as the residents of the neighborhoods where they take place, but obtaining a permit along with the hiring of police officers should be mandatory if it already is not. This is a worthy request of our city council. Other than Mr. Fulop, are there other council members on this list? If not, they should be as this is a great forum to find out exactly what their constituents are demanding of them publicly.

Quote:

tanze_des_lasters wrote:
We had an incident in our neighborhood similar to those occurring on Erie Street (without gunshots) last night around 10:00. A crowd of about 35 teens (mostly males wearing the white tee uniform and white bandanas) made their way onto Emory Street from Monticello. Many were arguing very loudly and it escalated to shoving matches between many of the teens. They piled on top of cars setting off alarms and trespassed onto fenced properties. JCPD was called, a car was sent, lights flashed and they were told to disperse through a PA system. The incident lasted about 15 minutes until the police arrived. Does anyone know if there was a church or community gathering last night in that general area? I?d like to know so the problem can be addressed with those who might have organized it.

Thanks,
~donna

Posted on: 2008/10/2 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
My partner and myself moved here from Bushwick Brooklyn. Not the greatest of places We live downtown. We shop at the local "mom & pop" places often. I visit a bar that has been here for more than 40 years. We like that part. The "old man'" across the street gives me a wave every morning. We do not live in the High Rise world. I have been to the area you speak of. I think is it great that new people start to take control when the city and its residents did not. Many people I have met in my neighborhood tell me how horrible it was in recent past. They grew up here. They are happy to see something better. That is not to say High Rise buildings. In Manhattan just recently, it was Chelsea. Then it was Hell's Kitchen. Now it is moving further uptown. It happens. Remember now more taxes will be infused to the neighborhood we discuss. Yes they need more help with the police but call your freeman. I have been in contact with mine and have gotten positive response. I applaud ""Lafayette".

Well thats all for now
Tah Tah

Posted on: 2008/10/2 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Nah I wouldnt do that, im not a violent guy. I can argue gentrification and downtown stuff for hours but in no way would threaten anyone with violence, not my style.

Posted on: 2008/10/2 20:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/9 20:30
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Eh,
Forget it, I was assuming you were making the standard "Try saying that to my face instead of from behind a keyboard" argumentative threat that you see on message boards all the time. I think we both need to work on our reading comprehension.

Posted on: 2008/10/2 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Haha, you thought I meant "blast away the non-downtowners" ?? That's pretty funny.

Posted on: 2008/10/2 20:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Who said im making a threat to you? I picked up a sense of say wise assness (just made a new word) so I made a comment for you to cool it. How is that a threat towards you?

Posted on: 2008/10/2 19:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Ah I see what he means after further inspection. No need to get smart emergent. Its easy to do that stuff from behind a keyboard.

I wasn't getting smart, it's not easy to distinguish if something is sarcasm when written on a keyboard. It is however evidently easy to make veiled threats.

Posted on: 2008/10/2 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Ah I see what he means after further inspection. No need to get smart emergent. Its easy to do that stuff from behind a keyboard.

Posted on: 2008/10/2 19:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
You gotta be kidding. So your suggesting blasting away anyone that dosnt live downtown from going downtown?

Really? Is this sarcasm? Obviously this isn't what he means... a comma does not equal the word "the".

Posted on: 2008/10/2 19:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
You gotta be kidding. So your suggesting blasting away anyone that dosnt live downtown from going downtown?

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

I actually think Downtown needs MORE police presence than we have, seeing the recent upswing in break-ins, etc (blast away, non-downtowners).

Posted on: 2008/10/2 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Oh yea the yuppies are the cure all to the problems in JC, gentrification solves every problem. Gimme a break. Thats something yuppies tell themselves to justify knocking out the residents/ mom and pop buisneses before them.

Posted on: 2008/10/2 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Bravo, emergent. I couldn't agree more. However, JC natives and longtime residents like to bash yuppies and gentrification because they miss the "old JC".

Posted on: 2008/10/2 19:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lafayette wrote:
I am not at all offended but it's so disheartening to live in a place all your life and to hear the same song...I don't want to hear it anymore. When I say that development in downtown has an effect this is why,
Lately, all attention is where the development is.
The police officers are all on traffic duty there, getting paid I think 35/hr......off duty ...why? Why don't they get a traffic patrol separate from the police force.
Second, I think that when the planning board mtgs, city council mtgs, announcments by Healy, etc all target the downtown area it creates division.
I have gone to meetings where the council is debating signage appropriate to a downtown area. It is a waste of time to spin wheels on dog runs, and appropriate signage when attention of Jersey City administration should be geared towards the biggest problems in JC....Everyone, not only the police have to get their priorities straight. And if you're a police officer and your too chicken to walk the beat on MLK drive WITH a GUN imagine the rest of us that are not "packing heat"! Come on now....Healy needs to get in motion cuz Bergen Lafayette is not going to vote him in this time around. No change over this way.

You still blame the downtown for taking attention away from other areas of Jersey City, but the fact is that ALL of Jersey City benefits from the development of downtown. I still don't understand how people don't understand this. If the downtown area became its own city called "Paulus Hook City" and was cut off from the rest of JC, you can't even begin to imagine how much worse off this new smaller Jersey City would become. Services like police, fire, rescue and other programs would have HUGELY reduced budgets, most likely much less than half of their current levels.

I feel like this board likes to bash the downtown and "yuppies", but these so called "yuppies" are the ones bringing the money and a hell of a lot of tax revenue, which gets passed down to the other areas of Jersey City and makes THOSE areas better in the long run.

Posted on: 2008/10/2 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
Yes you will need police presence in downtown since affluent areas get hit with the break-ins.

IT's not QUANTITY its QUALITY. We need Quality JC police officers. What good is it to have 1000 more cops cruising in there cars. Traffic stops are easy, they need to step it up. Recruit some real tough looking officers first of all.
A small woman police officer can't walk the beat here. I'm sorry. No offense but really? Let's stop making excuses. If you don't have enough cops make good use of the ones you have. The Chief needs to do some systematic planning.
A lot of police are older, smaller etc...How are they going to handle a crowd...We need police that are going to come in like army troops. Walk in groups of 4 cops then.......stop saying bergen lafayette has enough cops...so we go back to the same point then..If we have more cops than downtown and they are all here than why the spike in crime..They are not strategizing correctly and they don't have quality. SImple.

Posted on: 2008/10/2 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I completely agree with emergent. I live in the Van Vorst area, and I see maybe one or two cop cars PER WEEK in the entire neighborhood. That is not an exaggeration.

Driving through Bergen-Lafayette, West Side, or Heights...I see many, many, many more police officers.

I actually think Downtown needs MORE police presence than we have, seeing the recent upswing in break-ins, etc (blast away, non-downtowners).

Posted on: 2008/10/2 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I am not at all offended but it's so disheartening to live in a place all your life and to hear the same song...I don't want to hear it anymore. When I say that development in downtown has an effect this is why,
Lately, all attention is where the development is.
The police officers are all on traffic duty there, getting paid I think 35/hr......off duty ...why? Why don't they get a traffic patrol separate from the police force.
Second, I think that when the planning board mtgs, city council mtgs, announcments by Healy, etc all target the downtown area it creates division.
I have gone to meetings where the council is debating signage appropriate to a downtown area. It is a waste of time to spin wheels on dog runs, and appropriate signage when attention of Jersey City administration should be geared towards the biggest problems in JC....Everyone, not only the police have to get their priorities straight. And if you're a police officer and your too chicken to walk the beat on MLK drive WITH a GUN imagine the rest of us that are not "packing heat"! Come on now....Healy needs to get in motion cuz Bergen Lafayette is not going to vote him in this time around. No change over this way.

Posted on: 2008/10/2 14:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I haven't lived here long enough to provide information about how our police district operates but I would suppose recruitment of additional police would be helpful since we are in such a high crime area that is quite large in size. While living in a similar area in New Orleans, with the cooperation of the police providing car patrols, we saw a huge decrease in crime. Crime became practically non-existent in our neighborhood when they later began periodic foot patrols. A larger police force is needed for this though and that requires money. Regarding the curfew, it would indeed keep police bound to the station awaiting parent/guardian arrivals. In turn, there would be less patrolling on the streets and availability of police if serious crimes were occurring. My suggestion would be to relentlessly call the police if you see large groups of teens or anyone acting suspicious. So far, response has been within minutes when we have called for various reasons. The best thing to be is to be vigilant and keep the police informed about what is going on whether it be roving gangs of teens or drug paraphernalia found on the street. As Lafayette mentioned, ?the squeaky wheel get the oil.? Lastly, be hopeful. We live in an area rich in history and culture with beautiful architecture and many wonderful people. It?s worth fighting for a good quality of life here and remaining protective of it.

Posted on: 2008/10/1 22:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/24 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
I live in Bergen Lafayette and have been very active in my community with direct contact with the Police Captain and Executive Officer.

As one meeting I was told point blank that the police do not enforce the "curfew" because if they did, they would have to spend the rest of the night at the station house until a parent or guardian came to collect the underage offenders.

The reasoning is I suppose, the police are needed and community is better serviced if they were on the street instead of the station house.

Posted on: 2008/10/1 21:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Lafayette,
I am not a police officer. My problem with what you said is that you were insinuating that the crime in those areas of Jersey City were the direct result of two things; the development of downtown, and the lack of police presence in the areas of Greenville and Bergen Lafayette. I think there is simply no question that there is a lower police presence in Paulus Hook than those areas. I have driven through them, and I always see 2-3 times as many police cars during that drive then I'll see in Paulus Hook in an entire day.

I'm also sorry if you were offended. I certainly think everyone is entitled to a good quality of life, and I know there are many great and amazing people who are struggling to get by and have no other options than to live where they do. My comments about the people who live there were in reference to the criminals, dead beat parents, and gang members that are the cause of the problems in these areas. There is only so much police presence you can saturate an area with, and it's more of a temporary band-aid than anything. These proble your ms need to be fixed at the root, but that's a whole other discussion altogether.

Anyway, I simply disagree with reasoning that the development of downtown is to blame for the problems in other areas of Jersey City.

Posted on: 2008/10/1 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Emergent, in case you are police officer let me explain what I meant.
The police have a job to do. It is to enforce the law to the best of their abilities. Granted there is more work to do in this part of town you sound as if everyone on this side are low lives, who cause all the problems. So what are the law abiding , working people to do? Move to Paulus hook? Please help me understand....
Your attitude is one that most are reflecting which is there is nothing to do here because of the kind of people.. You forget that you offend those who are struggling to get good quality of life. At times there are 10 police cars parked in front of a station. Why can't they park on certain corners and just walk the beat sometimes? Don't post comments like these it shows you really don't know what is going on and you certainly haven't lived on the rougher part of town to understand. Just because some people can't afford to live in affluent areas doesn't mean we have to settle for sub-standard conditions. I hope that others chime in.
Thank you.

Posted on: 2008/10/1 19:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lafayette wrote:
I think that most people over on this side would agree with my statement. Saying my statement is ignorant shows how ignorant YOU are.
The JCPD is not fully enforcing laws, especially in Greenville and in Bergen Lafayette, and YES there is much attention giving to Downtown jersey city. We all know that. What's ignorant about that?
Clearly it is a good thing that Downtown is in good shape but the their are needs that need to be addressed for the safety and quality of life of everyone, not just one section of town.
It's funny that some get so testy when you mention these things but I'm sure you don't leave your area too often to even notice what is going on around you.

I GUARANTEE you there is more attention given to those areas by the police than in the downtown area. The reason those places are crime-ridden is not because of the police, it's because of the people who live there. There's only so much the police can do when there are SO many problems in a particular area.

Posted on: 2008/10/1 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I agree these "rental parties" are not good for those living in the area.

Quote:

ECH wrote:
Quote:

tanze_des_lasters wrote:
We had an incident in our neighborhood similar to those occurring on Erie Street (without gunshots) last night around 10:00. A crowd of about 35 teens (mostly males wearing the white tee uniform and white bandanas) made their way onto Emory Street from Monticello. Many were arguing very loudly and it escalated to shoving matches between many of the teens. They piled on top of cars setting off alarms and trespassed onto fenced properties. JCPD was called, a car was sent, lights flashed and they were told to disperse through a PA system. The incident lasted about 15 minutes until the police arrived. Does anyone know if there was a church or community gathering last night in that general area? I?d like to know so the problem can be addressed with those who might have organized it.

These church hall rental "parties" for teens have become
a major concern all over town, not just downtown.
We need to teem up with the police to put pressure
on the renters to stop this nonsense.
All the hard work that went into making
neighborhoods cleaner and safer than they
were in the seventies and eighties can easily
be undone.
The churches are looking to make money.
That's it, plain and simple.

Do not be misled by their
"Doing Mission" malarkey.
Put pressure on your council-person, also.
This needs to be nipped in the bud before it
gets ingrained. Once churches get grant
money to support their "youth mission"
we will never be able to put a stop to it.

Posted on: 2008/10/1 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I think that most people over on this side would agree with my statement. Saying my statement is ignorant shows how ignorant YOU are.
The JCPD is not fully enforcing laws, especially in Greenville and in Bergen Lafayette, and YES there is much attention giving to Downtown jersey city. We all know that. What's ignorant about that?
Clearly it is a good thing that Downtown is in good shape but the their are needs that need to be addressed for the safety and quality of life of everyone, not just one section of town.
It's funny that some get so testy when you mention these things but I'm sure you don't leave your area too often to even notice what is going on around you.

Posted on: 2008/10/1 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Truth hurts

Quote:

emergent wrote:
Quote:

Lafayette wrote:
THE JCPD is doing a bad job of enforcing it because everyone is too busy Developing downtown. thats why.

what an ignorant statement

Posted on: 2008/10/1 2:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lafayette wrote:
THE JCPD is doing a bad job of enforcing it because everyone is too busy Developing downtown. thats why.

what an ignorant statement

Posted on: 2008/10/1 0:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Are the people running the show up for election? I do not live in the neighborhood but if I did I would make the point.
Making a neighborhood better and there is no support. And people wonder why ?

Posted on: 2008/9/30 22:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Lafayette is the best so far. It does take work but it can be done. Areas all over the country are in their position because no one stepped up to the plate. I feel a change a com'n

Posted on: 2008/9/29 19:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Been there and done that in one of the worst areas of New Orleans. It worked there and can work here also. Thanks again.

Quote:

Lafayette wrote:
Just to let you know...we do have many people active, that go to council meetings, planning board meetings, community and police meetings. Of course since our areas need more help we need as many people as possible to get involved. The "squeaky wheel gets the oil" and god knows we need a lot of oil!!!

Posted on: 2008/9/29 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Just to let you know...we do have many people active, that go to council meetings, planning board meetings, community and police meetings. Of course since our areas need more help we need as many people as possible to get involved. The "squeaky wheel gets the oil" and god knows we need a lot of oil!!!

Posted on: 2008/9/29 17:41

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017