Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: How to keep cellar/coal chute dry
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
I have worked on a few of these cellars before. Dehumidifiers are a good solution, but a permanent solution is circulation. Is there space in your laundry room to install an exhaust and intake fan? Can the space be opened up more to allow air to circulate? Is there a flooding problem in the space?

Also, be mindful of mold in this kind of environment. It's really important that you get this space dry.

Posted on: 2008/8/12 3:51

Re: How to keep cellar/coal chute dry

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/6 12:27
Group:
Registered Users
I had the same problem with my basement when I first moved in, got a dehumidifier from Sears ($99 I think) and it's been extremely effective. The basement (+- 400 sqft) is completely dry and there isn't a big difference in the electric bill. I know this isn't the solution you're looking for but it worked great for me.

Posted on: 2008/8/11 17:54

How to keep cellar/coal chute dry
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/18 16:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I have a cellar under the steps of my front stoop which used to be, I think, the building's coal chute. Previous residents converted it to a storage/laundry room but the area is always super damp and I'm afraid this humidity will cause damage.

Aside from a dehumidifier (which is hard on the electric bill and not wholly effective), does anyone else have any ideas from their own experience on how to keep this room dry? Does anyone else have a room like this that they have converted? How did you do it?

Thanks!!!

Posted on: 2008/8/11 16:52

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017