Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: EPPS ON HOLD -- Ed board will have say in superintendent's future
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
I cannot speak for the teachers, but in both classes they complained a lot about not having any autonomy. A lot of the complaining came from one girl who teaches in a JC school not downtown. When we talked about a lot of great literacy strategies, she and others in state run districts such as Elizabeth and Newark said that they couln't implement a lot of them because they are "not allowed". There are, however, schools which have good prinicipals who give teachers a little more room for creativity and independence.

I could go on with a lot of examples such as the teachers disliking 100 book challenge because the stories are boring and unrelated to the kids' experiences, teachers saying they are not allowed to teach reading in the context of Science an Social Studies in the primary grades. My kids are in private school, but if I sent them to public school I would want to know about the principal and whether he/she has a good professional relationship with the staff. It's important.

Posted on: 2007/9/4 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

linky wrote:
I took some Masters classes in education at NJCU this summer. I heard stuff from JC teachers about the schools and the tryrannical rule of Epps that would curl your hair. ie: students' desks must be kept in groups at all times, except, of course, during the almighty standardized tests.

Seriously: did you hear anything else that you think parents of children entering the downtown JC public schools ought to know about?

If the teachers could talk to us honestly and get us change something about the district administration or school administrations, what would they want us to change?

Posted on: 2007/9/4 14:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
When he goes, it won't be a minute too soon.

I took some Masters classes in education at NJCU this summer. I heard stuff from JC teachers about the schools and the tryrannical rule of Epps that would curl your hair. ie: students' desks must be kept in groups at all times, except, of course, during the almighty standardized tests. Also, not a lot of time to teach Social studies and Science. They also mentioned that he's the highest paid superintendent in the state.

Bastard. Hate having that dirtbag thrust upon us by the State. If/when JC regains control of the schools, I really wish we could vote for the superintendent directly on the same day as the mayoral election. Nobody votes for the school board that chooses a superintendent.

Posted on: 2007/9/4 12:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Paterson, Jersey City districts in flux

State education commissioner reserves action on fate of superintendents

Tuesday, September 04, 2007
BY JOHN MOONEY
Star-Ledger Staff

State Education Commissioner Lucille Davy told the state Board of Education she has no plans to reappoint Paterson Superintendent Michael Glascoe next year, but added her decision could change if quick progress is made.

According to an e-mail sent to state board members on Friday, Davy also said she would decide on Jersey City superintendent Charles Epps' future "in concert" with that city's local school board, one of the first steps in the state ceding control of the district.

With Newark superintendent Marion Bolden expected to step down in 2008, Davy's latest announcement on Paterson and Jersey City portends possible leadership changes in each of the state's three largest districts, which are now all under state control.

Glascoe's uncertain fate was no secret even to his supporters in recent weeks, especially after Davy this summer appointed a fiscal monitor to the Paterson schools and then last month issued a critical monitoring report that did not recommend any return of local control as yet.

A top administrator in Fairfax County, Va., schools before coming to New Jersey, Glascoe was appointed to the post in 2005.

But Davy, in her letter to Glascoe, said her decision was not necessarily final, and she would revisit it early next year. The early notice that Glascoe may not be rehired was required under his contract, presumably to give him time to find a new job.

Davy listed several areas where she was looking for progress, including student achievement, the implementation of a new curriculum, and relations with the teachers union, community groups and the fiscal monitor himself.

"If you are amenable, I would like to reconsider this decision in February 2008, and determine at that time whether to offer you a contract for continuing as state district superintendent," Davy wrote Glascoe.

Efforts to contact Davy for further comment yesterday were unsuccessful.

District spokeswoman Laura Constable yesterday confirmed that Davy also called Glascoe with the news on Friday morning. Constable said Glascoe was not commenting further this weekend, but she and other district officials expressed disappointment with the decision.

"I was devastated to hear the news, because of the enormous work he'd done against tremendous obstacles," Constable said, citing gains in three quarters of the district's test scores in 2007.

Paterson school board President Andre Sayegh called the decision "totally unjust," especially in light of his own board's 6-1 vote of confidence for Glascoe at its last meeting. "The commissioner has disregarded us, an elected board," he said.

The picture is not as clear with Epps, who has been Jersey City's superintendent since 2000. After nearly two decades of state operation, the district is expected to regain some local control in the next year following a more positive monitoring report this summer, and Davy said she wanted to work with the local board in deciding the next superintendent.

"I haven't spoken to her, but I think that's a good thing," said board president William DeRosa yesterday. "This contract issue is hovering over the district, and we do want some clarification on where it is heading."

John Mooney may be reached at jmooney@starledger.com, or (973) 392-1548.

Posted on: 2007/9/4 9:50

EPPS ON HOLD -- Ed board will have say in superintendent's future
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
EPPS ON HOLD
Ed board will have say in superintendent's future

Saturday, September 01, 2007
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Today was supposed to be D-Day for Jersey City Superintendent of Schools Charles T. Epps to find out if the state intends to renew his contract.

But he'll have to wait.

According to the terms of Epps's latest three-year contract, the state Department of Education had until today to decide whether he should continue to lead the state's second-largest school district beyond next June 30, the expiration date of his current contract.

But in light of a recent state decision to return governance powers to the local Jersey City school board, the Epps decision is going to be put on hold, said Kathryn Forsyth, a spokeswoman for state Commissioner of Education Lucille Davy.

The local board could be fully empowered in the next couple of months, so Davy wants to make the decision with input from its members, Forsyth said.

Normally, local school boards appoint superintendents. But as a state takeover district since 1989, the Jersey City board has only had advisory powers.

Davy is scheduled to meet with local school board members on Sept. 12, officials said.

Epps declined to comment about the issue, but he said earlier this week that he hadn't heard from Davy.

Forsyth said Davy had "reached out" to Epps, and had spoken to Jersey City Board of Education Chairman William DeRosa.

"We have a lot of questions how it all works," said DeRosa. "Of course, we are going to bring up the contract."

Forsyth emphasized that Davy could make a decision on Epps's contract prior to the board becoming fully empowered.

The state Board of Education is scheduled to consider a resolution handing back governance to the local Jersey City school board on Wednesday and that could be the precursor to a transition period, Forsyth said.

Appointed by the state to run the district seven years ago, Epps, 63, earns $230,000 a year as superintendent and receives another $49,000 annually as a state assemblyman in the 31st District. He will step down from the Legislature at the end of the year.

Posted on: 2007/9/1 10:22

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017