Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
161 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Jersey City officials want NJ to make state schools affordable for illegal immigrants
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Yvonne wrote:
Tax dollars especially college dollars should first go to American citizens. If this pass, an NY state resident, an American citizen,.

I am confused. So, you believe that if you live in the same State as I do, you are entitled to get me pay a part of your tuition. And, if you live few miles away, across the border with another State, - you are entitled to take a smaller chunk of my money. Finally, if you live here, but are a citizen of another country, you are not entitled...

Basically, my questions is, - how do you determine your share in my income? What's your algorithm?

Posted on: 2013/2/27 3:51

Re: Jersey City officials want NJ to make state schools affordable for illegal immigrants
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
arcy wrote:
No person is illegal.
They're undocumented.

Nobody questions their personhood.

The word "undocumented" is entirely meaningless. Consider:

1. If we do have immigration laws, then people who violate them are not "undocumented", because they can't have any documents, and their presence here is illegal by the definition of the term.

2. If, on the other hand, we decide to get rid of the immigration laws and make it an open borders country, - nobody would need any document in the first place.

So, if you want it to be an open-borders country, fine by me. However, two points: (a) stop using meaningless demagogic words, (b) explain what will happen with all the social programs that we love so much?

Posted on: 2013/2/27 3:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I went to college in NYC while living in Hoboken, NJ. I had to pay out of state tuition. There were people from other countries, not American citizens, receiving in state tuition. I though that was wrong and I believe this is wrong. Tax dollars especially college dollars should first go to American citizens. If this pass, an NY state resident, an American citizen, would pay double, while the non-American resident who lives in state would get a break while attending college in NJ. Illegal residents do receive many breaks, free public education from k-12, some live in subsidize housing (there is no law requiring citizenship to live in subsidize housing, even President Obama's aunt live in public housing) and health benefits. The exception would be if an illegal resident served in the military.

Posted on: 2013/2/27 3:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/23 19:32
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
No person is illegal.
They're undocumented.
It's the 21st century. Borders don't even exist anymore for corporations. Companies can just move their businesses overseas but people can't? It's a double standard. Then the Supreme Court says corporations are people. They can't have it both ways.
People from other countries leave ther homelands because they can't support their families since most of the work in their homeland is maquiladoras or sweatshops (owned by USA companies). So the people move to the USA and send their money back to their families.
Many undocumented immigrants are exploited here in the USA. They're underpaid, abused and overworked. They have no labor protections and their bosses often exploit that by not paying them what they agreed on or by threatening to contact INS. The undocumented person lives their lives in fear and often are forced to act subservient so they don't ruffle any feathers. It's a sad existence. Undocumented immigrants should have the same rights as "citizens." Just because I was born here doesn't mean I should have more rights than someone next to me who was born somewhere else.

Posted on: 2013/2/27 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Something is fishy with this story. How can you qualify for something if you are here illegally. It sounds like a "if you can't beat 'em join 'em" gig. Remember when illegal apartments were a hot issue "well I'm sure it still is" but anyway our mayor stated that all illegal apartments should be made legal so we can collect tax revenues on them, plus it was hard to prove otherwise so lets just cave in.

Posted on: 2013/2/27 2:21
Get on your bikes and ride !

Jersey City officials want NJ to make state schools affordable for illegal immigrants
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City officials want NJ to make state schools affordable for illegal immigrants

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
February 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Jersey City elected officials plan tomorrow to press the state Legislature to pass two measures that would allow children of illegal immigrants to qualify for in-state tuition rates and access to financial aid if they attend public colleges and universities.

The local measure, which the City Council will consider at its regular meeting tomorrow night, is sponsored by Councilman at large Rolando Lavarro and Ward C Councilwoman Nidia Lopez.

The two said in a press release that the children of undocumented immigrants shouldn?t have to suffer because they were brought to the United States by their parents.

"Jersey City is a city of immigrants, and these are our children," said Lavarro. "They have worked hard, earned good grades, and dreamed big dreams. Many of them have known no other home.?

He added: All they want is the opportunity to continue their education, and give back to their state of New Jersey."

The state bills have been introduced in the Senate and Assembly and await consideration by education committees. State Sen. Sandra B. Cunningham is a primary co-sponsor on both, while state Sen. Brian Stack, also the Union City mayor, has co-sponsored both.

If the state measures are signed into law, students would qualify for in-state tuition rates and financial aid if they attend high school in New Jersey for three or more years, graduate from a New Jersey high school or obtain a GED and file an affidavit with the college or university stating they have applied to legalize their immigration status.

"I am honored to help throw open the doors of higher education and allow our young people to better themselves and, in turn, better all of the people of Jersey City," Lopez said. "We must support our DREAMers."

?DREAMers? is the word used to describe undocumented residents who came to the United States at a young age, and it was coined after Congress in 2001 introduced legislation intended to provide them with some legal residency status.

Congress has never passed the DREAM (Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors) Act. It came close in December 2010, but its passage was blocked by Senate Republicans.

Mayor Jerramiah Healy -- who is running in May's election against Lavarro's and Lopez's running mate, Councilman Steve Fulop -- said in a statement that he has for "years" supported making college affordable for illegal immigrants.

"Not educating our youngsters is not only hurting them and their families, but it is also hurting our city and our state," Healy said. "Having one set of students who pays a discount and another set that pays an exorbitant amount is not only unfair, but it is also un-American."

The Jersey City council meets tomorrow at 6 p.m. at City Hall, 280 Grove St.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... o_press.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/2/27 2:06

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017