Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Jersey City to push to include Little India in Newark Avenue Restaurant Row
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
Why not all of Newark Ave? The Filipino area near the courthouse is in the greatest need of a boost.

Posted on: 2012/3/16 2:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Let me get this straight. First, city creates a rule that restaurants can not be placed close to each other.

Then it creates an exception.

And then it "pushes" to add something to the exception.

Posted on: 2012/3/16 2:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
You are going to ruin one of the good things in JC. The Little India stretch of Newark Ave?.. if you include it in the Restaurant Row plan. That part of Newark Ave. has been thriving since the late 70?s. It went from empty gated store fronts to years of fully leased stores without the cities ?help?. Never an empty store if one does leave another is in its place the next month. (permits who needs stinkin? permits , we ARE little India!) Did you ever drive down Newark Ave at night or on weekends? It is like Times Square.

I thought the idea of Restaurant Row was to attract NEW businesses to a depressed area. The Downtown part of Newark Ave. was in need of help and it is getting it with the Restaurant Row plan. Weren?t there a lot of empty stores and dollars stores there? No place to catch a bite to eat or buy something for the house?

Little India has successful grocery, phone, jewelry, and clothing/fabric stores, bread and sweet shops, banks and temples. It has around 4 or 5 restaurants already. If the plan is passed all of those stores are going to disappear. The landlords are going to increase the rents for the NEW entertainment establishments wanting to cash in on the plan. And it will return to its gated empty stores of the 70?s because of too much restaurant competition.

You are going to screw up a fascinating, interesting, thriving area of JC just so you can have a beer and listen to sitar music with your curry! Where is the Asian Indian population going to get their groceries? Edison? (gee they have trouble driving...err.. around JC and you are going to send them down south?)

You think it is sad about the DTJC Brightside Traven not being in range. Wait until Casa Dante gets turned down..a freakin? half a block away from the Little India boundary.

Who came up with the Little India plan was it City Hall?(have any council members ever been over there?) Or was it a few greedy Newark Ave. developers? Does anyone know? I am pretty sure there are at least one or two big Healy donors along Newark Ave. I will bet you 10 rupee?s that if you ask the Indian store keepers and shoppers they will tell you they want more grocery stores not restaurants.

Or is this a plan to appease the CanCo crowd? (more condo sales) Or the dang DT newcomers? (yeah you guy?s )

The whole area outside of Little India is also doing just fine. All apartments and houses are fully occupied. Why? because everything they need is right in the area.(including PATH) Don?t take it away. You are going to mess up the balance.

PS ? I can?t wait to have live music while I?m eating my WC murder burgers?great idea city hall!

Posted on: 2012/3/15 23:22

Jersey City to push to include Little India in Newark Avenue Restaurant Row
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
About time...

Jersey City said it will reintroduce plans to expand the Newark Avenue Restaurant Row to encompass Little India, one day after the City Council rejected a similar plan because it also included one existing Bright Street restaurant.
The city?s new plans will exclude that sole restaurant, The Brightside Tavern, from its new proposal. City Council members said last night they were uncomfortable expanding Restaurant Row, a city effort to attract new bars and restaurants, for just one business.
Mayor Jerramiah Healy said in a statement today that the city?s vision is to include the restaurants along Newark Avenue between Kennedy Boulevard and the Pulaski Skyway.
?It is our hope that the City Council will see the importance of expanding what has been a successful designation to this area of the city,? Healy said.
Restaurants in the Newark Avenue Restaurant Row, which encompasses a triangle-shaped area along Newark Avenue from Grove Street to Jersey Avenue, are exempt from state liquor laws that prohibit one licensed establishment from being within 520 feet of another.
The Brightside Tavern owner had sought to be included so he could obtain an entertainment license without applying for a zoning variance, a city official said.
Ward E Councilman Steve Fulop, who voted against last night?s proposed Restaurant Row expansion, said he might have voted in favor had the expansion included Little India alone, and not The Brightside Tavern.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_to_push_to_include.html

Posted on: 2012/3/15 19:35

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017