Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
137 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Fulop wants to move Jersey City elections from May to November
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/27 3:00
Group:
Registered Users
Not growing up in NJ, I never understood this. Where I was from we almost always had everything on the same November election ballot. It is much more convenient and less confusing!!! Even worse is that only a few thousand people voted in the April Board of Education election. Hopefully future legislation will address that too.

Posted on: 2010/1/8 21:29

Fulop wants to move Jersey City elections from May to November
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Assembly passed bill yesterday that allows nonpartisan elections to be moved to November - should be a boon for voter turnout (and the death of the machine?) while saving money for the city - win-win in my book.

From Politicker NJ:

Fulop wants to move Jersey City elections from May to November
By Matt Friedman | January 8th, 2010 - 10:06am

Jersey City Councilman Steven Fulop announced today that he will introduce legislation to move the city?s elections from May to November.

?This will not only save Jersey City significant cash, but it makes sense. It is challenging to get the people to come out for each election, when they are held at incongruent times,? said Fulop in a written statement. ?We should move the elections to the people. I have been watching this legislation for the past year and believe it could fundamentally change how cities like mine are run. This is crucial for Jersey City to reach beyond the political machine to have a more representative election.?

The state senate yesterday passed legislation giving municipalities the option to change the dates of their non-partisan elections to November, which will concur with the November general election. It has already been passed by the assembly and is expected to be signed into law by Gov. Jon Corzine.

About 30,000 Jersey City residents voted cast votes in the May municipal election, versus about 39,000 who turned out for the November general election.

Eighty-six of New Jersey?s 566 municipalities hold non-partisan elections in May.

The law would likely benefit Fulop, a reform advocate long at odds with the power structure in Jersey City who has his eye on running for mayor in 2013. Increased turnout would allow him to appeal to voters less connected to the city?s political machinery.

Posted on: 2010/1/8 16:48

Edited by Webmaster on 2010/1/8 18:43:12

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017