Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
158 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

ON THE CATWALK TO FAME Jersey City model strutted her way to final six
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
ON THE CATWALK TO FAME Jersey City model strutted her way to final six of televised modeling show

Friday, November 30, 2007
By JEFF THEODORE
JERSEY JOURNAL ARTS EDITOR

W hen Lisa Jackson reflects on her time as one of the statuesque ladies competing on "America's Next Top Model," she vents to blow off steam against her chief rival on the popular show.

One might think that rival would be Bianca, the blunt-talking model who told her to her face that "Top Model" was no place for someone like Jackson, who spent four months making her living as a go-go dancer.

Or you might believe that enemy No. 1 was "Top Model" creator Tyra Banks and her band of laser-eyed judges who nit-picked and critiqued Jackson, panning things such as her runway delivery or photos that fizzled with no sizzle.

If you figured any of the above was a major worry for Jackson, you're wrong. The Jersey City resident says her main detractor is the woman she sees each day in the mirror.

"I wish I hadn't been so hard on myself," the 20-year-old, 6-foot-1-inch Jackson says with a grunt. "Tyra, Ms. J (one of the judges), anybody could say what they wanted about me. But I was my own worst critic. I focused on things I shouldn't because I was being too much of a perfectionist."

Jackson, who was eliminated from the show last week, says she has mixed feelings about her departure.

"In a way it's bittersweet because I think I would have done really well at the go-sees in China," she says. "But in another way, I'm OK because I get to sleep in my own bed, see my family, and be around my fiance."

Nonetheless, Jackson, who grew up in Connecticut but now resides in Journal Square, says proving herself on "Top Model" helped exorcise some personal demons in her life.

"Growing up, I had a lot of negativity around me," says Jackson, who is of Jamaican and German heritage. "A lot of people, from family to friends, badmouthed me and said I wasn't going to do anything. It really hurt to know people think that way about you. So, I had to move away from there to make things happen for me."

Jackson quit a job, packed her bags and moved with her fiance, Jose, to Jersey City to pursue modeling.

The initial months in Jersey were lean times for Jackson and her fiance. To make ends meet, she says she took a job dancing at a Weehawken nightclub.

"We were really struggling," Jackson says. "I thought because I was tall and skinny that I would make it as a model really fast in New York. But that didn't happen. With the dancing, I wasn't naked or anything. It was more like go-go dancing or burlesque. But, you know, I'm not perfect. I did it for the money so we could stay in Jersey City. I didn't want to go back to Connecticut and those people who didn't think I would make it."

On "Top Model," Jackson says she has no hard feelings against Bianca, who called her out about the dancing.

"There was a rift and it really upset me," she says. "But I don't hold grudges. Once I put it aside and apologized I really meant it. Bianca is actually pretty fun."

Still, when many of the girls on the show gossiped about her, Jackson says it felt like high school all over.

"But what are you going to do, that's the way girls are," she says. "It lasted for like one day."

The ladies on the show that Jackson counts as true acquaintances are Jenah, Ebony and Saleisha.

"I will definitely stay in touch with them because we all, at one point, got along," Jackson says.

During the show, Jackson won two challenges. The rewards for winning included a photo shoot with Seventeen Magazine and the other was a prominent role in a music video with singer Enrique Iglesias.

"He was really a cool guy and professional," she says of Iglesias. "We got our shots done and the video turned out great."

Jackson says her encounters with Tyra Banks often revolved around issues with her confidence.

"She would tell me to watch my image and how I present myself," she says. "On the show, I really couldn't grasp that. Now I understand what she was trying to say and want to hit myself upside the head. The whole thing was frustrating because you do lose confidence when you're in a competition like that. When I would do less than I expected, it took its toll. Now I know it's not the end of the world."

When asked whom she thinks will take the "Top Model" crown, Jackson turns diplomatic but points to Chantal and Heather as favorites. As it turns out, though, judges removed Heather out of the running on Wednesday night.

With more confidence intact, Jackson says she intends to frame her "Top Model" experience as only a beginning.

"I have my portfolio and next week I'm showing it to photographers in New York," she says. "I want them to see that I have range and can do many things. I'm so looking forward to getting started."

Posted on: 2007/11/30 16:06

Interview with Lisa from Americas Next Top Model - 20-year-old dancer from Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Interview with Lisa from Americas Next Top Model - 20-year-old dancer from Jersey City

Resized Image
November 28th, 2007 by Mark
Author's web site: http://www.myspace.com/realitywanted

Recently we had the pleasure speaking with Lisa from America?s Next Top Model. She was the eighth girl eliminated from the show. Lisa is a 20-year-old dancer from Jersey City, NJ.

Q. Jason (RealityWanted.com): What made you want to be on the show? Had you watched prior seasons?

A. Lisa (America?s Next Top Model 9): I have always wanted to be on the show. I attended an open casting call and ended up getting a call back and eventually they cast me for the show.

Q. Jason: Obviously the commercial shoot was hard for you, did you think you were improving?

A. Lisa (America?s Next Top Model 9): When you think you are in the bottom two you end up stressing yourself out more. So I ended up trying harder but it showed more to everyone.

Q. Jason (RealityWanted.com): What was your favorite time on the show? How about your most memorable experience?

A. Lisa (America?s Next Top Model 9): I think my favorite photo shoot had to be the Gargoyle shoot and the smoking one. I think I did great in those and really enjoyed myself. Also one of my most memorable experiences on the show was when I won the academic shoot. Also just getting to know the girls there and developing bonds with them.

Q. Jason (RealityWanted.com): What was the best advice you received on the show?

A. Lisa (America?s Next Top Model 9): Tyra told me to not let other people dull your shine and that meant a lot to me. I learned a lot even after watching the show about myself and my need to display more confidence. I need to work on being able to accept criticism and work on things.

Q. Jason (RealityWanted.com): If you could change one thing about yourself on the show what would it be?

A. Lisa (America?s Next Top Model 9): I wish I was able to hold back my emotions better.

Q. Jason (RealityWanted.com): Do you think you learned a lot by being on the show?

A. Lisa (America?s Next Top Model 9): The experience was great and I learned a lot being in front of the cameras and having the opportunity to work with all of the different photographers. Just being able to adjust and learn different styles was great.

Q. Jason (RealityWanted.com): Obviously it must be tough living with all of those girls, was it as bad as it seemed on TV?

A. Lisa (America?s Next Top Model 9): In the beginning it was tough getting adjusted to everyone but over time we all got along and it wasn?t as bad as it seemed. We all had a lot of fun together.

Q. Jason (RealityWanted.com): So what?s next for you? Are you planning on continuing in the modeling industry?

A. Lisa (America?s Next Top Model 9): Yes. I am close to New York currently so it is easy for me to attend tryouts. Thought about moving to Los Angeles but for now I am going to give modeling a try out here on the East Coast.

Q. Jason (RealityWanted.com): Do you have any recommendations for the girls trying out?

A. Lisa (America?s Next Top Model 9): If you want your hair long tell them you want it short. Seems they always reversed everything you wanted.

Q. Jason (RealityWanted.com): So who are you rooting for to win America?s Next Top Model?

A. Lisa (America?s Next Top Model 9): I am rooting for Heather, she is great.

Posted on: 2007/11/28 21:25

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017