Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
135 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Kool & the Gang at home in Jersey City to mark 50th anniversary
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
[quote]
user1111 wrote:
I love PM Dawn... JC has an impressive list of performers that were born here..

Akon
Joe Budden
Frank Sinatra
John P. Hammond
Andrew Hill[/quote

I knew about Hammond, but not Andrew Hill. Here's a YouTube page devoted to his music:

http://www.youtube.com/artist/andrew-hill

Posted on: 2013/10/1 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I love PM Dawn... JC has an impressive list of performers that were born here..

Akon
Joe Budden
Frank Sinatra
John P. Hammond
Andrew Hill

Posted on: 2013/10/1 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Quite frankly, I was a big fan of PM Dawn, they were fellow JC guys:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P.M._Dawn

Posted on: 2013/10/1 12:40

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/2 14:03
Group:
Registered Users
Could Kool and The Gang be the best musicians out of Jersey City?

They are really good.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 11:59

Kool & the Gang at home in Jersey City to mark 50th anniversary
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Aiyana Cronk/The Jersey Journal

Members of Kool & The Gang got together last week at various locations in Jersey City -- where their 50 years of making music began -- for a promotional photo shoot to help commemorate the upcoming anniversary.

"I feel at home," alto saxophonist Dennis "DeeTee" Thomas, who grew up in the Lafayette section of the city told The Jersey Journal Friday. "I haven't been back here in a while, and being here is cool. Jersey City is a very groovy joint."

Among the places the remaining original members of the band ? lead vocalist Robert "Kool" Bell, his brother, tenor saxophonist Ronald Bell, Thomas, and drummer George Brown ? visited was the historic White Mana restaurant on Tonnelle and Manhattan avenues.
The band formed in 1964 under the name "Jazziacs," and adopted the current name in 1969. They have since produced the iconic hits "Celebration," "Get Down on It," "Ladies Night" and "Jungle Boogie."

"It's pretty sweet to know that even people of (the 20-something) generation can relate to our music and still listen to it," Thomas said. "At the start I didn't know it would go this far."

The group has earned two Grammy awards, seven American Music awards, 25 Top 10 R&B hits, nine Top 10 pop hits and 31 gold and platinum albums.

In 2012 they toured with legendary rock band, Van Halen, while also making appearances on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, and Dancing with the Stars. The band -- whose members are all in their late 60s, currently still travels the world touring.

All seven original members were from Jersey City, and one of them partially credits The Jersey Journal for his music career.

"During my first year at Lincoln High School I delivered papers for The Jersey Journal," Brown said. "The money that I made delivering the papers was how I bought my first real snare drum."

Brown also said that growing up in Jersey City, and his time at the Journal helped foster his "entrepreneurial grounding and spirit."

"I haven't been back here in a while, but it's good to be back to some of the old haunts," Robert "Kool" Bell said. "Jersey City sure has changed a lot."

All four members of the band also traveled to other historic locations in Jersey City ? like the Stanley Theater and "The Junction" ? to take additional photos for the anniversary, as well as for their first ever holiday album. The album is expected to be released on Nov. 5.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 18:23

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017