Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
62 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 62

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Snyder High junior's prize-winning art to be displayed in U.S. Capitol
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Good for him

Posted on: 2013/6/19 13:09

Re: Snyder High junior's prize-winning art to be displayed in U.S. Capitol
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
good for this kid, snyder needs all the positive pr and role models it can get

Posted on: 2013/6/18 18:25

Snyder High junior's prize-winning art to be displayed in U.S. Capitol
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Paige Morris/The Jersey Journal

Budding Jersey City artist Tyler Ballon will soon see himself on display in Washington, D.C.

The Snyder High School junior?s self-portrait will be shown in the nation?s capital for a year, starting June 23 the grand prize outcome of the 10th Congressional District Art Competition earlier this year.

Each spring, the Congressional Institute sponsors a nationwide search for artistic talent in each congressional district?s high schools. Of all the work submitted from young artists in New Jersey?s 10th District, which represents Hudson, Essex and Union counties, Ballon?s piece was chosen as the best.

Resized Image

The portrait, which shows the 16-year-old Ballon in his cluttered school studio looking up from a yet-to-be-sketched drawing, began as a class assignment.

?We had to do a self-portrait in colored pencil. That?s what we were learning,? said Ballon.

At the time, Ballon had no idea that his project would find its way into the hands of the competition judges and, ultimately, into the U.S. Capitol building.

Ballon is still unsure how his piece wound up in the competition. A teacher at Snyder?s Arts High School may have submitted the piece on Ballon?s behalf after it won a gold prize in the national Scholastic Art Awards in February, Ballon said.

Tyler?s uncle, Moses Ballon, also expressed his shock at his nephew?s win.

?I never knew he had this talent,? Moses Ballon said, noting the portrait?s precise, realistic details. ?When you look at this picture, his eyes look back.?

Tyler believes that what makes his art stand out is not only his attention to detail, but his ?style.?

?I think what I draw is different from what others draw,? Ballon said. ?I like working on figures. When I think of what I want to draw, I just sketch that scene or take a picture of it and do it in color.?

In addition to colored pencils, Ballon works with graphite, markers, water colors, and other media.

The unveiling of his self-portrait next month will be the cherry on top of a sweet artistic year for Ballon. In addition to his gold prize from Scholastic, Ballon won another gold prize for a mixed media piece and a silver prize for a colored pencil portrait of his niece in the same competition.

Ballon?s father is extremely proud of his son?s accomplishments.

?Snyder gets so much negative press,? Tyrone Ballon said, ?but here?s a boy in the inner city, a public high school kid doing something artistic and positive.?

After taking an all-expenses-paid trip to Washington, D.C. with his family to see his portrait and meet President Obama next month, Tyler, with Arts High School classmate Xavier Alicea, will be two of the 60 students nationwide to attend the summer seminar at the prestigious Marie Walsh Sharpe Art Foundation in Colorado Springs, Colo.

Tyler is currently deciding on art schools to apply to in the fall.

Posted on: 2013/6/18 12:11

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017