Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: The African American Community Should Support Councilman Steve Fulop For Mayor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Several members of Jersey City?s African American clergy endorse Fulop for mayor in 2013

Nov 27, 2012 | Hudson Reporter

JERSEY CITY ? Bishop Reginald T. Jackson, a former executive director of the Black Ministers? Council of New Jersey, was today joined by several other African American clergy members to endorse Ward E City Councilman Steven Fulop in his 2013 bid for mayor.

Fulop?s challenger next year is current Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy.

Referencing some of the most important concerns to voters, Jackson said Tuesday, ?Steven Fulop is an experienced leader who is committed to all the residents of Jersey City. A vote for Steven Fulop is a vote for positive change. Steven Fulop will not rest until every child in this city has the opportunity to attend successful schools and live in a city with safe streets, thriving business and young families investing in their communities. He will not rest until every child can walk the streets without fear of hearing gunshots, or being recruited by a gang, or being offered drugs. He will not rest until this city?s government treats everyone in the community fairly and equitably.?

Bishop Jackson made his endorsement in Ward F, home to Jersey City?s largest population of African American residents. He was joined by Rev. Donna Atwater of Greater Destiny Family Worship; Rev. Julian Cooper of St. John?s AME Church; Rev. Abdel Khan of Breath of Hope Ministry; Rev. Charles McKenney of House of Prayer; Rev. Reginald McRae of Mt. Pisgah AME Church; Rev. John Milligan of New Redeemer Reformed Episcopal Church; Rev. C. Eugene Overstreet of New Covenant Baptist Church of Christ and Ministries; Rev. Lawrence T. Rivers and Rev. Wendolyn Rivers of Trinity Faith Church; Rev. Vincent L. Thomas of Bethany Baptist Church; and Rev. Joyce Watterman of Continuous Flow Christian Center.

Elder Thysson Halley, of Chosen Generation Ministries, has also endorsed Fulop for mayor, according to Fulop?s campaign, although he did not attend the Nov. 27 event.

These endorsements come a day after New Jersey State Assemblyman Sean Connors (Jersey City ? 33rd Dist.) withdrew his support from Healy, citing the mayor?s handling of the superstorm Sandy earlier this month. Connors had previously endorsed Healy for re-election.

http://www.hudsonreporter.com/view/fu ... te_lead_story_left_column

Posted on: 2012/11/28 6:32

Re: The African American Community Should Support Councilman Steve Fulop For Mayor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
By presenting yourself as a Republican supporting Fulup do you think you might be linking Fulop with Romney/Ryan in people's minds and perhaps doing Fulop more harm than good?

Why is that?
New Jersey has a Republican Governor.
He's done a good job so far; certainly a better one than the previous utter disaster of a Governor (a Wall Street Democratic crook).

I think linking Fulop to the Republicans will only help him.

Posted on: 2012/8/28 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

Dahood wrote:
Why do people have to vote as a community? Why not vote individually based on who is the best candidate for the city and for their own progress and safety?
well, when you think about an election, a community is electing someone that they think will be best for the community. From the post, it sounds more like an appeal to the community of Greenville, and not so much to African Americans. Nothing wrong really with urging your neighbors and friends and family to vote for someone, is there?

It isn't a good idea to have support by one particular group it can come across as one sided. Voting individually or as a community is fine but as a group based on heritage will convey a racist attitude. How do you expect voters in a neighborhood to bond together if you treat others that are not of your own nationality or religion as outsiders ? In the 1982 hit song Subdivisions by the band Rush a line in the song goes as such "be cool or be cast out" Basing your vote on the candidate is the best evaluation plus you are not being a follower or a drone of the voting public.

Posted on: 2012/8/28 16:43
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
By presenting yourself as a Republican supporting Fulup do you think you might be linking Fulop with Romney/Ryan in people's minds and perhaps doing Fulop more harm than good?

Posted on: 2012/8/28 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
From the post, it sounds more like an appeal to the community of Greenville, and not so much to African Americans.

This is for the African American community not Greenville. The white young people in Greenville have already jumped on the Steve Fulup bus. The young African Americans here are split between SF and some have not decided and I hear daily from the African American community if Cunningham runs then I will vote for her.

Mostly all the African Americans here over 40 still have Healy signs in their windows. The African American seniors here will most likely vote for Healy. Most older whites here over 40 are split between Fulup, Healy or waiting for someone better to come along.

Healy has been in Greenville breaking ground on lots of new projects to secure votes over the last few weeks. And Fulop has been making his rounds here at most of our block parties and block associations BBQ's.

One nice thing about my block, 80% of us are from Brooklyn and we are a more diverse community( African American, Latino, White, Asian, and Indian) and we are not caught up in the JC politics like the old timers here. So we are more open to Fulup but the African American community along Garfield and Danforth they seem more willing to vote for Heally again.

Posted on: 2012/8/28 13:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dahood wrote:
Why do people have to vote as a community? Why not vote individually based on who is the best candidate for the city and for their own progress and safety?
well, when you think about an election, a community is electing someone that they think will be best for the community. From the post, it sounds more like an appeal to the community of Greenville, and not so much to African Americans. Nothing wrong really with urging your neighbors and friends and family to vote for someone, is there?

Posted on: 2012/8/28 13:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2012/8/28 13:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I hear that Cunningham may run, and that would make things a whole lot more interesting.

Posted on: 2012/8/28 12:15

The African American Community Should Support Councilman Steve Fulop For Mayor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I?m writing this letter to urge the African American community to unite behind Councilman Steve Fulop for Mayor next year in Jersey City. As an African American and a Republican living in Ward A Greenville, I see ongoing issues plaguing my community and how nothing is getting done by our elected officials on the local, state and federal levels. As you all may know, all of our elected officials who represent the Greenville community are Democrats. It does bother me to a certain extinct because our issues with continue to arise. Because of this, I mostly stick to my party lines but next year I will be voting for a Democrat for the mayoral seat.

I consider Fulop not an ordinary liberal on the local level. As a leader within the city, Fulop has stood up tirelessly against the status quo. When dealing with taxes in the city, Fulop always put residents first and voted ?no!? He always saw the hidden tax increases that many others didn?t see. He truly cares about helping residents to keep extra money in their pocket. When dealing with education, Fulop has been the biggest leader in bringing in real change and reform. Three years ago, residents came out in record numbers to vote in the school board race for Team Fulop candidates and in the last election the same occurred. He has a passion to make sure all children from every background succeed in public education in our city.

When dealing with crime, Fulop has been a leader in pushing for more cops for the city. The current administration-Team Healy has destroyed the quality of life in the African American community and has ignored us for years. Mayor Healy, Ward A Councilman Sottolano and Council President Brennan have thrown us under the bus. Crime is a huge issue, what have they done? Where are the foot patrols? Where is the increase in police presence? What happened to revising the curfew law? What happened to stable taxes? What happened to bringing more small businesses? What happened to excellence in our public schools? What happened to more jobs for adults and our teenagers? What happened to ending corruption? What happened to caring for the African American community? What happened to change we can see?

Team Healy continues to ignore the everyday issues facing African American families in the city. It is time for us to unite under a new leader who has a vision like no other. I?ve known Steven Fulop for nearly 3 years now, and he has never let me down. When I have issues going on in my community, I will give him a call and he will get the problem fixed. Fulop is a man with integrity, leadership and potential. With such high unemployment in the African American community, Fulop understands how to bring more jobs and training programs to Jersey City. Since he used to work in the private sector in finance, he knows how money works and how to make deals with businesses. This is what our community needs. As the election nears, Team Healy will continue to lie to us and there will be more candidates joining the race but remember what Fulop has been doing for the past years. He has been the only lone voice sitting on the council fighting to move this city forward. In May 2013, I?m urging African Americans to vote for Team Fulop so we can move this city forward and our community.

Thanks,

Demetrius M. Terry
Fmr. Chair of NJ Hudson County Teenage Republicans
Ward A Greenville Advocate.Vote for Steve Fulup

Posted on: 2012/8/28 12:14

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!