Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
137 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Moving to Duncan Ave near McGinley Square
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/12 14:04
Group:
Registered Users
My parents moved to fairmont ave and Kennedy. Lack of restaurants is only complaint but there needs to be clientele for them...honey bakery just opened up on Bergen ave and has great food. I feel safe almost at all hours walking from path on Kennedy...much safer then on Montgomery downtown, more light and people. They have been for 6 months and like the quite and neighborhood feel.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 5:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you for the reply, have a great holiday weekend

Posted on: 2013/1/2 4:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/9 14:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
St. Peter's has cut back its development plans for McGinley Square because of lack of financing. Otherwise, little has changed.

Posted on: 2012/12/31 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
Hope everyone had a nice holiday. My cousin is looking to move to 22 Duncan or 60 something Duncan (she can't remember the exact #) I use to live on Tuers between Vroom and Montgomery and never had a problem, just wanted to see if anything has changed since this thread was posted over the summer. Thank you for any input you can give me.

Posted on: 2012/12/31 3:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/9 14:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I'm one of those people who lives on Duncan between Bergen and Kennedy, and I also like it a lot. In two years, I haven't had any problems. Up until 8 pm (9 pm this time of year), I have no qualms about walking home from the PATH; after that, I take a $5 cab ride home from the Journal Square cab stand. I actually feel better about walking home mid-evening in this neighborhood than I did when I lived in Hamilton Park because the streets are less deserted.

Obviously it's an urban neighborhood, and you do have to be cautious and observant. There were some rapes in the neighborhood last year, including one in a building on Fairmount. The perpetrator was caught a couple of days later. You've probably heard about the terrible shootout on Reed St. three years ago in which five police officers were shot. That gave me some pause when I was first considering the neighborhood. But basically, McGinley Square/Lincoln Park is a neighborhood that varies a lot block by block, and you can sense pretty quickly which blocks are okay and which are best avoided. Kennedy is pretty much okay, in part because of campus security for St. Peter's College. Bergen gets much seedier as you head south. Some of the east-west blocks are fine, some are kind of intimidating. I hear that the stretch of Duncan west of West Side Avenue is NOT good, but on my block of Duncan there are a lot of folks who sit outside in warmer weather--older residents, parents with little kids--and keep an eye on things. It's actually a fairly friendly area, and I know many more of my neighbors here than I did downtown, which again makes me feel safer.

The biggest downside to the neighborhood is the lack of decent restaurants, coffeeshops, etc. There don't even seem to be any campus hangouts for the St. Peter's students. But the college is embarking on a big development project in McGinley Square that may bring more dining/entertainment options to the area.

Posted on: 2012/6/15 14:50

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/21 22:10
From West Side
Group:
Registered Users
Well, it depends on what cross streets you're talking about, but if you are east of West Side Ave, then that's a pretty nice area. I know people who live between JFK & Bergen and really enjoy it.

Posted on: 2012/6/14 23:33

Moving to Duncan Ave near McGinley Square

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/19 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
My boyfriend, my dog, and I will be moving to Duncan Ave near McGinley Square this weekend. We are in our early/mid 20's. He works in Manhattan and I go to school in SoHo. We saw the apartment and walked from the PATH Wednesday night at around 9 and it seemed like a very nice street. I want to get others opinions on the area though. How safe is it? Is there much crime? Is it a relatively quiet area?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 2012/6/14 20:17

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017