Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
148 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

SOHO finally actually enforcing artist loft laws! (long after we all were priced out)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I was trying to find a workspace in 86, and even then all the Lower Manhattan residential lofts "reserved" for artists were filled with doctors lawyers and bankers who could easily outbid them. I did end up finding a "commercial basement loft" in Tribeca that I worked in for 11 years, and lived in illegally for 8, till moving here. I find this a riot that suddenly someone discovered the law, WAY too late for most artists to come up with more than 10% of what those spaces are trading at! Lucky for B-Burg, Bushwick, Dumbo, etc.... and JC.

NY Times article today,
Quote:
Artists Only Need Apply By ANDY NEWMAN

As SoHo?s iron-boned, sprawling lofts became gold mines over the past two decades, co-op boards, banks, brokers and the city itself winked at the decades-old rule requiring that they be reserved for working artists.

But over the last year or so, something odd began to occur: people ? banks, co-op boards and the like ? started paying attention to the rule. And last year, for the first time in memory, the city rejected as many applications as it approved, in a cryptic process that mystifies those who have gone through it. The bottom has not dropped out, and the typical artist will still be unable to afford to move in. But the sudden reawakening of the artist-in-residency requirement has shaken up the SoHo real estate scene. [NYT]

Posted on: 2010/11/12 17:10

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017