Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Letter: Tips for Jersey City council members on how to behave at a public meeting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
It all boils down to respect. The folks on the council don't even pretend to listen to people that speak at the podium. Most of the votes are predetermined. Conversely the constituents in the audience don't respect the council. I'm surprised the proceedings were civil at all. Given the behavior of the council I can envision a meeting in the future where all hell breaks loose.

Posted on: 2010/3/12 5:15
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Re: Letter: Tips for Jersey City council members on how to behave at a public meeting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Today 5:20
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with all of this, but as a side note, it would be nice if the citizens attending the meetings would behave themselves too. I wish that people would turn their cell phones off while sitting at these meetings, or at least put them on vibrate. I must have heard a million cell phones ringing at last night's meeting and it was really annoying.

On top of that, when council members are talking or citizens are talking to the council, personal conversations in the audience should be kept to a whisper only or go outside. While Fulop is the only one I have any genuine respect for on the city council, I would like to hear what is being talked about and people deserve not to be distracted by conversations about last week's basketball game, or whatever.

We live in a democracy, but all too often, these city council meetings feel like anarchy.

Posted on: 2010/3/12 4:54

Letter: Tips for Jersey City council members on how to behave at a public meeting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Letter: Tips for Jersey City council members on how to behave at a public meeting

By The Jersey Journal
March 11, 2010, 2:20PM

TIPS FOR COUNCIL MEMBERS TO REMEMBER, ESPECIALLY AT COUNCIL MEETINGS:

You are not above the citizens, no matter how high in the saddle you sit. Besides your immediate family they are the most important people in your lives and you will need them again.

Know that the hopes of your constituents have been placed in your hands, and you have been elected to represent them, not yourself.

At least act as if you are listening. Do not glare, stare off into space, nod off, roll your eyes, give dismissive looks and most of all TRY NOT TO YAWN!!

Pick up a bottle of 5-hour energy drink. You may be wired, but at least you will be alert.
Understand no one would be standing at that podium if not for the decisions you made.

Show some empathy and put yourself in your constituents' shoes, no matter how far a reach and distant that may seem to you now. A greater power has chosen you to carry on its work, be it God or Satan.

Acknowledge that you are living in a glass house and people will throw stones.

Feel secure in knowing that if you lose this job you still have your county position and benefits to fall back on.

Remember that Steven Fulop is not the only one amongst you to have a brain and voice. It would be refreshing to hear your opinions and who knows, you may surprise yourself and come up with something useful.

Do not take it personal, unless your hand was seen in the cookie jar also.

ALLEN OLIVE
JERSEY CITY

Link

Posted on: 2010/3/12 3:54

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact