Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
140 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: V-Day Jersey City 2010 Presents a Benefit Screening of WHAT I WANT MY WORDS TO DO TO YOU
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gaia wrote:

...The film goes inside a writing workshop led by playwright and activist Eve Ensler, consisting of 15 women, most of whom were convicted of murder. Through a series of exercises and discussions, the women delve into their pasts and explore the nature of their crimes and the extent of their own culpability.

Statistics about incarcerated women:
Nationally, women prisoners are the fastest growing group in the prison population.
The vast majority of women in prison have been victims of violence prior to their incarceration including domestic violence, rape, sexual assault and child abuse...

Sounds very interesting...

I wonder if the film touches on Eve Ensler's ideas regarding child abuse ...

This is taken from wiki....

Eve Ensler wrote the Vagina Monologues which include a section entitled "The Little Coochie Snorcher that Could". This portion of the play, as originally performed, has been criticized for including a lesbian rape scene of a 13-year-old girl by a 24-year-old woman who uses alcohol to lower the inhibitions of her victim. At the conclusion of the segment, the narrator (the grown-up thirteen year old girl) fondly reminisces about the rape, claiming that it helped to nurture her and help her grow as a woman, and finishes the play with the line, "If it was rape, it was good rape". The segment received criticism not only for depicting any rape as "good", but also for forming a double standard, as elsewhere in the play, male-on-female rape is depicted as not only inexcusable but the ultimate act of violence against women.
The scene was modified in later performances; the young girl's age was changed to 16, and the "good rape" line was omitted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eve_Ensler

Posted on: 2010/3/4 21:50

V-Day Jersey City 2010 Presents a Benefit Screening of WHAT I WANT MY WORDS TO DO TO YOU

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/22 18:53
Group:
Registered Users
Co-Sponsored by _gaia and Art House Productions
V-Day Jersey City 2010
Presents a Benefit Screening of
WHAT I WANT MY WORDS TO DO TO YOU
Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 5 p.m.
Art House Productions
1 McWilliams Place
Jersey City, New Jersey
(SE Corner of Hamilton Park, near Erie/8th St)

Tickets: $5.00 (available at door)
Proceeds benefit Hudson County Rape Crisis Center

What I Want My Words To Do To You offers an unprecedented look into the minds and hearts of the women inmates of New York's Bedford Hills Correctional Facility. The film goes inside a writing workshop led by playwright and activist Eve Ensler, consisting of 15 women, most of whom were convicted of murder. Through a series of exercises and discussions, the women delve into their pasts and explore the nature of their crimes and the extent of their own culpability.

Statistics about incarcerated women:
Nationally, women prisoners are the fastest growing group in the prison population.
The vast majority of women in prison have been victims of violence prior to their incarceration including domestic violence, rape, sexual assault and child abuse.
Women who are violent offenders are even more likely to have been abused and to be incarcerated for responding to that abuse violently.
The Hudson County Rape Crisis Center assists survivors of sexual assault, ages 12 and above in Hudson County. 24 Hour Hotline: 201 795 5757

V‑Day is a global movement to stop violence against women and girls. For up-to-date screening information and other V-Day fundraisers visit www.gaiastudio. org, www.arthouseproduct ions.org or www.vday.org. For more information on our beneficiary visit www.hcrcc.blogspot. com.

GLOBAL SPONSORS: Dramatists Play Service, Amanda Keidan Jewelry, LUNA, Random House, Shawn & Shane, Vosges Haut-Chocolat

LOCAL SPONSORS: _gaia, Art House Productions and Garden State Rollergirls

Posted on: 2010/3/4 20:32

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017