Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
71 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 71

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Cop's hand slashed during Greenville break-in arrest
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Cop's hand slashed during break-in arrest

Wednesday, June 10, 2009
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A Jersey City police officer was cut with a knife while making an arrest yesterday afternoon in Greenville, officials said.

Officer Philip Schinnagel was on Stegman Street about 2 p.m. when he saw a Jersey City man, Vincent Aviles, 36, of Bergen Avenue, trying to enter the front of the home and go around the back, reports said.

When Schinnagel followed Aviles to the back yard, he saw Aviles, wearing socks on his hands, trying to pry open a window, reports said.

Jersey City police spokesman Lt. Edgar Martinez said that when Schinnagel attempted to arrest him, Aviles shouted "I've got a gun - I'm going to shoot you!" When Schinnagel tried to handcuff him, Aviles pulled out a stainless steel knife and slashed Schinnagel's right hand, Martinez said.

With the help of backup officers, Schinnagel arrested Aviles, who yelled to the cops "I have AIDS. I'm going to give you all AIDS," said Martinez, who added that Aviles was brought to the Jersey City Medical Center complaining that he was going to have seizure.

He was treated and released into police custody. Aviles was charged with criminal attempt burglary, possession of a weapon for unlawful purposes, possession of a weapon and aggravated assault, Martinez said.

Schinnagel, who is assigned to the South District, was taken to Christ Hospital, where he received six stitches on his right hand, Martinez said.

Schinnagel joined the department in 1992, Martinez said, adding that during his career Schinnagel has been awarded four commendations and 14 Excellent Police Service awards.

Posted on: 2009/6/10 15:29

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017