Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
65 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 65

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Talks on ending floods on 440
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Talks on ending floods on 440

Jersey Journal -- KEN THORBOURNE
Monday, October 01, 2007

Jersey City officials are hopeful that a sit-down held last week with state Department of Transportation officials will lead to the end of severe flooding along Route 440.

At the Sept. 20 meeting, DOT brass assumed responsibility for clearing the clogged, DOT-owned catch basins and outfall pipes along the route, but no timetable was nailed down, MUA Chief Engineer Joseph Beckmeyer said.

"They (DOT) said they would begin the cleaning operation," Beckmeyer said. "They didn't give me a schedule. They had to review a contract with their private hauler. They were going to get back to me."

A few weeks ago, the MUA offered to do the work - and then send DOT the bill.

The state balked at that arrangement since it didn't want to give the MUA a "blank check," plus there were unresolved traffic and indemnification issues, DOT spokeswoman Erin Phalon said.

The flooding along Route 440 has hit businesses and Country Village residents hard, and often turns the intersection of Communipaw Avenue and Route 440 into a lake, MUA officials said.

"Hopefully there is going to be full cooperation and the problem will be solved," Beckmeyer said.

Posted on: 2007/10/1 11:19

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017