Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
183 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 183

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Greenville:'SLAP ON WRIST!' Mom protests 99 days for man involved in hit and run on child
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Why was he covering up evidence?

Quote:

mscoleman49 wrote:
... He was a passenger, who later tried to cover up evidence. So no, I don't think he should have received as harsh a penalty as the negligent driver ... Also, I don't think spending 99 days locked up is a "slap o the wrist" in any way.

Jabari, now 7, suffered significant brain injury, said Ashley. He takes special education classes and has the mental abilities of a 4-year-old, she said. He also has skin problems and can no longer run due to leg injuries, she said.

For three months after he came home from the hospital, he'd wake up screaming and sweating, Ashley said. "My son is nowhere near the person he used to be."

Posted on: 2009/6/9 2:11

Re: Greenville:'SLAP ON WRIST!' Mom protests 99 days for man involved in hit and run on child

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/23 2:16
Group:
Registered Users
This is shoddy journalism. If the writer had even an ounce of journalistic integrity he would have clearly pointed out that the man who was sentenced to 99 days was NOT THE DRIVER of the car. He was a passenger, who later tried to cover up evidence. So no, I don't think he should have received as harsh a penalty as the negligent driver will likely face when he is sentenced in the future.

Also, I don't think spending 99 days locked up is a "slap o the wrist" in any way.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 1:00

Greenville:'SLAP ON WRIST!' Mom protests 99 days for man involved in hit and run on child
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
'SLAP ON WRIST!'
Mom protests 99 days for man involved in hit and run

Monday, June 08, 2009
By TOM SHORTELL
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A Jersey City man involved in the hit-and-run of a 6-year-old will not serve any more than the 99 days he already spent in jail for his crime, outraging the victim's mother.

Jabari Cooley, a Jersey City boy, was dragged 70 feet by a 1991 Acura sedan that struck him on Grant Street on July 22 last year.

Jabari was kept in a medically induced coma to allow swelling in his brain to subside and spent six weeks in the hospital.

Jermyn "Redman" Mobley, 34, and Daquan Mixson, 19, pleaded guilty to their roles in the incident - Mobley for tampering with evidence by wiping down the car to remove fingerprints and Mixson for assault by auto. Mobley was sentenced to time already served, 99 days.

"Ninety-nine days just isn't good enough to me. That's no time at all," Jabari's mother, Tieka Ashley, said of Mobley, who is also serving a separate four-year prison term for distributing drugs on school grounds.

"I don't understand, how do people commit crimes and they only get a slap on the wrist?"

Jabari, now 7, suffered significant brain injury, said Ashley. He takes special education classes and has the mental abilities of a 4-year-old, she said. He also has skin problems and can no longer run due to leg injuries, she said.

For three months after he came home from the hospital, he'd wake up screaming and sweating, Ashley said. "My son is nowhere near the person he used to be."

Mixson's sentencing had been set for June 29, but it will be rescheduled since that date is now a furlough day for state workers. Assistant Hudson County Prosecutor Michael D'Andrea, who handled the case, said he expects Mixson to receive a three- to five-year sentence.

Ashley said she went to the county courthouse to speak at Mobley's sentencing last month, and after waiting for hours she found out Judge Melvin S. Kracov had already sentenced Mobley to the 99 days time served.

D'Andrea said Ashley should have been able to speak at the sentencing.

"I can only presume there was a miscommunication from the court, a major miscommunication," said D'Andrea, who was not at the sentencing.

Kracov said he had not been notified that Ashley wanted to speak.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 13:10

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017