Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
52 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 52

more...


Forum Index


Board index » All Posts (bodhipooh)




Re: Sweeney proposes slapping payroll tax on Jersey City businesses to fund schools
#91
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Refresh my memory... wasn't there supposed to be a hotel room tax that was supposed to allocated to schools? They want to be revenue creative, the city should be going after AirBnBs. I see more people @ Grove or Exchange with large suitcases and they do not appear to be looking for hotels.


In general, I dislike the idea of enacting new taxes that enable government to avoid having to deal with problems, but this is not a bad idea. A tax on AirBnB, or other short-term rentals, could be a more palatable solution that does not screw with residents, or the business base that has undoubtedly contributed to JC's resurgence. The city should get creative about solutions that can generate revenue without shafting the residents, but they should also really go after fiscal improvements. It is simply too easy to say "well, it is hard to find ways to save money." Do we really want to empower the local government to keep dreaming up new taxes without some accountability about its spending?

Posted on: 6/4 8:01
Top


Re: Sweeney proposes slapping payroll tax on Jersey City businesses to fund schools
#92
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

HeightsNative wrote:
Monroe, and non JC residents like him, quite frankly, have just as much skin in the game with JC as residents do.


No, they don't. Same as we don't let foreigners, even ones who live here, vote in our US elections. If a JC public employee chooses not to live in the city that employs them, they give up the right to vote in that city. They can choose to work elsewhere, same as all the people who complain about street noise and parking are told to move if they don't like it.

I hate the fact that we have Monmouth County resident cops who, when told of a crime, think and even occasionally say, "what do you expect, living in this shithole?" I had a friend who taught in the system say the other night that one of her colleagues was an deep racist who hated all the kids in the school. When your city employees are only interested in what they can extract from a city they don't live in, you don't give them a say in the budget.


Doesn't it smack you of "taxation without representation?" While I agree that non-residents can't (or, shouldn't) directly affect local politics, I do find it more than a little ironic to feign some indignation at non-residents for wanting to more say (or, visibility) into local spending when the city (and, its residents) are more than willing and happy to take the money of non-residents to help pay for local matters.

It reminds me of the proverbial free loader whose family will help finance his expenses, but who gets upset when someone questions his lifestyle and choices. Talk about chutzpah, really.

Posted on: 6/3 20:33
Top


Re: Will Jersey City and Hoboken ever lose Abbott District Status?
#93
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Well, it's finally happened. It's the end. The massive state aid to Jersey City is proposed to end under Democratic Governor Sweeney. Sayonara, assholes.


Ignoring your interesting mistake(?) about who's governor, why are you gloating? Unlike the reval, this affects all of JC negatively, which from your username, you profess to be a resident of. So who are you saying goodbye to?

This is a mess. There's no doubt in my mind we spend too much because it's been other people's money for decades, but a 25% rate spike in taxes on top of the reval will not be a good thing for the city.


I tend to think/believe that if it came to that, the city would flex its muscle to get the BOE to find ways to shrink their budget. As it is right now, any measure to make up the budget shortfall through additional taxes would reward the BOE malfeasance and waste that the state and city have enabled for so long.

Yes, a payroll tax could help prevent any pain today, but sooner or later we will need MORE money, and then what? More taxes? They need to get this mess under control, and the sooner the better. There is nothing politicians like more than taxes to fund their special interests and pet projects.

Posted on: 6/3 14:53
Top


Re: Sweeney proposes slapping payroll tax on Jersey City businesses to fund schools
#94
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
Interesting comment within the first article:

"Critics of the current funding system say Jersey City residents can afford to pay more than they do via the tax levy, which will be $124 million for 2018-19 (the district receives a total of $410 million in state aid)."

That's a frightening assumption, but I guess they're looking at all of the real estate millionaires who've been created since the reval.

Hoo HaH!!


But, it's not a frightening assumption, it's the truth! It only seems that way because people in JC have gotten SO USED to someone else footing our bills for so long that now being asked to pony up a relatively small percentage (say, 33% of the total school bill) seems shocking. In the real world, if you wanted to indulge in overspending, you wouldn't be able to pass that on to someone else so easily. Ultimately, it is VERY EASY to be in favor of increased social services programs, and bigger government, when you don't have to pay for them.

Currently, we are paying for ~17% of our school budget. Being asked to should twice that amount (~33%) is most definitely an imposition from a numbers perspective. Of course, that means a doubling of the local school levy, which would translate into a 25% increase of our new tax bills. Of course, people dont want to pay for more, but they dont want to make the tough choices to cut back in other areas. Ultimately, something HAS to give.

Allowing JC to impose a payroll tax is, to me, a terrible idea. It would only embolen the JCBOE to continue their wasteful ways, and who is to say the tax is kept at 1% for now? If things dont improve and streamline, who is to say the city doesnt find it easy and convenient to up that tax to 1.5%? Or, higher even??

Posted on: 6/3 11:02
Top


Re: New Jersey to lose three Sears, one Kmart, in latest round of store closings
#95
Home away from home
Home away from home


I am truly surprised by the hand wringing over these stores closing... in at least one or two other threads, people here seem bummed out over these closures. It's almost like no one here has ever watched Rain Main.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmGEhhRCVo0


Posted on: 6/1 13:07
Top


Re: New Tax Rate is Insane!
#96
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
New Jersey's effective property tax rate is around 2.26%.

JC's effective rate is around 1.6%.

So yes, even after the reval bumps up some people's property tax rate (and lowers others), JC's property tax rate is lower than most of NJ.



So I guess the people downtown who are going from $14,000 to $40,000 should find comfort that they are paying low taxes?


Mark my words, those taxes will see another substantial increase within the next 5 years (10, at the latest) once the state tweaks the school funding formulas and JC is asked/forced to shoulder a larger part of the local BOE budget. There is no way we get away with paying ~17% of the local school budget for much longer. Even at a paltry third (33%) we would be underpaying, but taxes would go up 25% for every homeowner based on the doubling of the current ~0.4% school levy.

Posted on: 5/31 20:19
Top


Re: Hamilton Park facilities
#97
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
I would assume/hope that was discussed (and apparently nixed) when the park was re-done just a few years ago. Not that I hate the idea, but inasmuch as it's intended to be a neighborhood park (not a regional park) it's fair to assume that most people live close enough to go home to take care of business. I know...kids....yadda yadda.


Interesting characterization. I would think that many people would object to the idea of Hamilton Park being a "neighborhood" park, and not a *city* park.

I once read in a thread here that most parks with water fountains (including LSP) had those shut off to deter homeless people from camping out in them. Not sure if that is true, or not. If true, I think that would also explain the dearth of bathroom facilities at all the local parks. Even LSP is mostly devoid of bathroom facilities, and it is a very large park that could really use more of that.

Posted on: 5/31 13:44
Top


Re: New Tax Rate is Insane!
#98
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
How is it irrelevant? JC's tax rate is so ridiculously low because of Abbott.


Its irrelevant because market values are high due to JC's proximity to NYC. So naturally with high property values comes low tax rates. Just as if the reval was done in 2009 then the rate would have been much higher.


Partly right, partly wrong. Higher real estate values do help keep down the tax rate, but our local tax rate is lower mostly for other reason.

Our school levy is only ~25% of the total tax rate, amounting to about .40%, and that only covers 17% of the local BOE budget. If the current school funding setup is modified, and we are suddenly asked to shoulder a higher percentage of the local BOE budget, we will see our local rate go up quite a bit. If we were asked to shoulder 33% of the local BOE budget, our new property tax rate would be a little over 2%, and if we were asked to cover half of the local school budget the overall tax rate would be a hair short of 2.5%. Our local tax rate is low not because of high property value, but because the local school budget is being paid by someone else.

Posted on: 5/31 1:25
Top


Re: Newark Avenue Pedestrian Plaza Expansion
#99
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

we are in P&K every other day. they're our go-to grocer. we will really feel their absence if they close.


Ugh, that would be super depressing. This is going to be one of those neighborhoods where regular stores that sell normal things that people need won't be able to exist. Food desert here we come!

La Conga is 1.5 blocks away from P&K.

Key Foods is 2.5 blocks away from P&K.

"Food desert?" Not so much.


This. So much drama... And, for the non stuck up crowd, there are two GIGANTIC food stores (ShopRite and BJs) not even 10 minutes away by foot. A downtowner crying about DTJC becoming a food desert is deliciously ridiculous.


Why care about any business for that matter? The reasons are that people get into their own routines and it's sad to see local business leave. When that happens neighborhoods lose some character. It's not always about finding their products elsewhere. Otherwise all stores could close and we could just shop at Walmart


Talk about strawman arguments...! Nobody is denying there is inherent value in small, "mom and pop" shops, or the concept of "shop local". But, it is utterly pathetic for someone (anyone!) to even try and claim that DTJC is at risk of becoming a food desert because P&K may close in the future. We are mocking THAT assertion.

For the record, a food desert is defined as living more than one mile from a supermarket in urban or suburban areas, and more than 10 miles from a supermarket in rural areas. If you draw a one mile radius circle with DTJC at its center, you will find a ton of supermarket and food stores within that circle, including 99 Ranch, ShopRite, and Key Foods, and multiple smaller shops where to pick up produce, fish, meat, etc.

Posted on: 5/30 14:32
Top


Re: Newark Avenue Pedestrian Plaza Expansion
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

we are in P&K every other day. they're our go-to grocer. we will really feel their absence if they close.


Ugh, that would be super depressing. This is going to be one of those neighborhoods where regular stores that sell normal things that people need won't be able to exist. Food desert here we come!

La Conga is 1.5 blocks away from P&K.

Key Foods is 2.5 blocks away from P&K.

"Food desert?" Not so much.


This. So much drama... And, for the non stuck up crowd, there are two GIGANTIC food stores (ShopRite and BJs) not even 10 minutes away by foot. A downtowner crying about DTJC becoming a food desert is deliciously ridiculous.

Posted on: 5/30 8:43
Top


Re: Newark Avenue Pedestrian Plaza Expansion
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

hero69 wrote:
if cobblestones are prohibitively expensive, what about some nice trees that provide shade and so public artwork. i would think that fulop and the City must have some extra money in the slush fund given the reval.


UGH. I wish people would stop with this type of comment. The reval is REVENUE NEUTRAL. The city is collecting the same amount of money post reval as it did before the reval. There is no such thing as extra money because of the reval.

Posted on: 5/29 15:15
Top


Re: Real Estate lawyer recommendation
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
I don't know anything about the specific situation, but I will say don't use any old lawyer who closes deals. They may have no idea about this kind of stuff but take it on figuring "how hard could it be?" This kind of Rights and Zoning issues is a specialty that you should put in the effort to find the specialist.

I once had a problem with the code officials, and friends who were general lawyers told me I should just fold. The Specialist looked at the papers and said "this is bullshit", which of course it was.



OP asked for a recommendation, do you have one?


#forum ad nauseam


Don't be such an ass. Often times, the key to a good answer is figuring out the options NOT to chase/follow/choose. His perspective is valid, and very much on point. Not to mention that the OP originally asked for opinions and thoughts on the issue in a separate thread about the same situation.

Posted on: 5/28 17:50
Top


Re: Real Estate lawyer recommendation
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

SRhia wrote:
@bodhipooh - yes, you're right. I'm the same one who posted that thread previously.

The other unit owner is aware that the roof is deeded to us. However, instead of asking us directly, they are going to ask the condo association / owners for a vote on this (we happen to have a condo meeting coming up).

So - I have a feeling this may get messy, so I just want a lawyer's contact handy, in case we need to go down that route.

I have looked through our bylaws and deed, and what I saw so far is that:
1. the roof is defined as a "General Common Element"
2. the right to construct a roof deck is "limited and reserved" to our unit only

However, the bylaw/deed does not explicitly say that other units cannot put anything up there. Our neighbor is taking the route that if they can obtain majority votes, then they can put the compressor up there?

====>>>>> Therefore - I'm not sure if we (as owners of the deeded roof) can conclusively say "No" to the neighbor and their compressor. I would have assumed that since the roof is deeded to us, then we should be able to say No, and that's the final word???

That's why we don't know how to handle this, and therefore may need to get a lawyer involved.

If anyone has any insights or experience into this, we'd greatly appreciate it - feel free to comment here, or direct message me.


UGH. Definitely 100% contact an attorney. Just the mere fact that the other homeowner has decided to go over your head to get access to the area over your head (yes, pun intended) I think you are right to assume/expect this to become messy. At a basic level, what good is it to have a roof deeded to you if you do not have control or say over what happens to it?

But, tellingly, the fact that the roof is defined as a "general common element" may indicate that everyone is entitled to roof access, which is really puzzling if you indeed hold a deed to said roof.

Honestly, I wish you luck with the situation, and I hope it gets resolved in a manner that is fair and desirable to you.

Posted on: 5/27 20:24
Top


Re: Why are Bullitt Cargo Bikes not a thing here???
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Sully wrote:
They’re not cheap and not as easy to store securely between rides as a regular bike - those will always be limiting factors. But as our bike infrastructure gets built out, and electric assist becomes less expensive and more widely available, I’d expect to see more cargo bikes around.

I’d LOVE to see cargo bikes as a bike share option in Jersey City, maybe a couple years down the line, after dockless and electric-assist bikes are added to the mix.


I suspect that cargo bikes will NOT be part of a share system for a long time, if ever. The associated costs of maintenance would be prohibitive. As it is, those heavy duty CitiBike bikes are hugely expensive to maintain, and experience a lot of downtime due to breakdowns and issues. A cargo bike would be the same, but much worse.

As for the popularity of cargo bikes, I feel they had their moment some 5 years ago in hipsterland, particularly the neighborhoods close to Prospect Park. I used to see a lot of them over there, but lately I rarely spot one

Posted on: 5/27 19:42
Top


Re: New Tax Rate is Insane!
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

drifterx wrote:
What would the delay do? So the 'oppressed' downtowner can move to GV? GTFO. Time to face reality.


In practical terms, an additional delay would have achieved nothing more than give DTJC homeowners an opportunity to try and unload properties to which they no longer could, or wished to, afford the property taxes. In other words, all those people in denial about the reval, or who believed that the city administration would do something (anything!) to not let DTJC get slammed with the obvious, expected increase, would have been rewarded for their attitude/stance.

Time to rip the band-aid and deal with the pain once and for all.

Posted on: 5/27 19:37
Top


Re: Real Estate lawyer recommendation
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Looking for good real estate lawyer recommendation - especially pertaining to deeded roof rights, and the right of other building owners to put compressors on roof (deeded to a different unit owner).

Thanks in advance.


You posted some time ago a similar thread in which you indicate you are the homeowner to whom the roof is deeded. If the roof is indeed deeded to you, and you do not wish to grant permission for the installation of A/C compressors, shouldn't that be the end of the story?

Personally, if I was in your situation, I definitely would not grant permission for the installation of compressors for anyone. Once you grant permission to someone, you have opened the proverbial floodgates to other neighbors making similar requests. And, notwithstanding any willingness to be accommodating, installing anything on the roof can invariably lead to complications down the road. Compressors vibrate, so if you are particularly sensitive to that sort of noise, you could be in for a very uncomfortable situation. Not to mention that all kinds of things can go wrong, including an outright malfunction that could require unit maintenance. Do you want those (potential) headaches in your hands?

Posted on: 5/27 19:28
Top


Re: New Tax Rate is Insane!
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

thor800 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

thor800 wrote:
The timing couldn't have been worse - most properties were reassessed at the height of the market


This argument shows a lack of understanding about the revaluation and property taxes. Whether it had been at the height of the market, or bottom, it doesn't matter. If the market had been lower, then the property tax rate would have been higher.

The city needed collect X amount of money.

X = (total value of market) * (tax rate)

If (total value of market) is lower, then (tax rate) has to go up, as X is constant in a revaluation.

The only thing that would make a difference is how different areas stack or compare against each other. The almost four year delay in the reval actually helped DTJC, as that period saw an accelerated increase in valuation in areas outside of DTJC, which translated into properties outside of DTJC getting relative higher levies than they would have 5 years ago.

In any case, the timing matters little. The reval was overdue, and DTJC was in for a HUGE increase regardless of when the reval had been completed. Those who claim the timing was terrible because it is a high market don't understand the issue clearly.



No I completely understand the market - DTJC assessed at the highest values ever with no regard for corresponding drop in market value after taxes double and no guidance moving forward.

Yes it was way overdue and definitely not fair for residents in other words to overpay for years, but also not fair to saddle downtown with absurdly high taxes with no clear plan to reassess more regularly in the future.


A couple of thoughts:
- if values are to drop because of a tax increase, wouldn't the same be true regardless of whether this is a high or low market?

- there IS guidance in place: a revaluation is legally mandated every 10 years. The citizenship should demand that is followed.

- Downtown is not being saddled with absurdly high taxes: they are being assessed the proper taxes, and they only seem high now because they were undertaxed for so long.

- agreed, there is no clear plan to reassess regularly, but there is a law that dictates that to be the case. Citizens can and should demand that future city administrations stick to the law.

- if DTJC loses value, whatever properties come on the market will likely be snapped up by other people. Local inventory is extremely low, although we are definitely seeing more properties being listed, presumably from homeowners who can't, or refuse to, pay the new taxes.

- one final thought: if a market correction takes place, areas outside of DTJC will suffer a much bigger impact. It is always that way. Areas like BeLa were experiencing good progress and gentrifying nicely when the market tanked in 2007/2008. It took over 7 years before it started to regain its footing, and valuation recovering to pre-recession levels. As such, DTJC will continue to retain its value vis-a-vis non-DTJC areas, so taxes wouldn't need to be adjusted.

Posted on: 5/23 16:56
Top


Re: New Tax Rate is Insane!
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

thor800 wrote:
The timing couldn't have been worse - most properties were reassessed at the height of the market


This argument shows a lack of understanding about the revaluation and property taxes. Whether it had been at the height of the market, or bottom, it doesn't matter. If the market had been lower, then the property tax rate would have been higher.

The city needed collect X amount of money.

X = (total value of market) * (tax rate)

If (total value of market) is lower, then (tax rate) has to go up, as X is constant in a revaluation.

The only thing that would make a difference is how different areas stack or compare against each other. The almost four year delay in the reval actually helped DTJC, as that period saw an accelerated increase in valuation in areas outside of DTJC, which translated into properties outside of DTJC getting relative higher levies than they would have 5 years ago.

In any case, the timing matters little. The reval was overdue, and DTJC was in for a HUGE increase regardless of when the reval had been completed. Those who claim the timing was terrible because it is a high market don't understand the issue clearly.


Posted on: 5/23 5:26
Top


Re: JC Topless ban, sex toy restrictions may be history
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Stringer wrote:

Council members uneasy about lifting topless ban on women

JERSEY CITY — An attempt to rewrite the city's 1980s-era obscenity law received a somewhat chilly reception by members of the City Council at its Monday caucus, with council members expressing specific concern over the plan to lift the ban on women appearing topless in public.

The measure, which deals specifically with sex toys, female breasts and body parts in intimate areas, led to an unusually uncomfortable and occasionally giggly conversation among council members. Ward D Councilman Michael Yun was unwilling to utter the word "breasts," referencing them as "those things" instead.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... omen_greeted_with_un.html



You would think we are living in a time warp from 100 years ago. Also, Boggiano reveals himself as being completely out of touch with these comments:

'... Rich Boggiano has said the new law would lead Jersey City to "become the Times Square of New Jersey."...'

'Boggiano said, "I was born and raised in New York City. I live here now. New York City went to hell."'

Has he actually been in NYC at all since the 90's??

Posted on: 5/23 5:18
Top


Re: Jersey City has big plans for 100 acres on West Side along Hackensack River
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
.
Jersey City pitches $180M plan to buy 100-acre riverfront site

Updated 5:29 PM; Posted 3:33 PM
By Terrence T. McDonald tmcdonald@jjournal.com

The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY — Jersey City is considering whether to buy the 100-acre Bayfront site on the Hackensack River waterfront, a potentially $180 million plan that Mayor Steve Fulop told council members would be an "aggressive" albeit expensive way to ensure a large amount of affordable housing on the city's west side.


http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... e.html#incart_river_index



"The city would act as the master developer, potentially divvying the land up among multiple developers."

#notoriety



What could possibly go wrong with the city acting as the master developer?

Serious question: isn't 105 MM for 100 acres a little too much? Or, is that the going rate for crap land located in the middle of nowhere? I truly don't have the slightest clue regarding valuation for this type of lot in such a location.

Posted on: 5/23 5:05
Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

srs7191 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

Actually.... my post was sarcastic in nature. I was hoping to get some of the left wing / progressive / communists on the site to respond? In typical fashion, they remain silent, because when one of their own (Bezos/WaPo) is caught in an issue wear facts challenge left wing agenda / dogma.


Ah, my bad, sarcasm doesn't travel well over text.


I was quite baffled by the post myself. The sarcasm may have been a little too cloaked. I missed it entirely.

The situation in Seattle and in Portland has gotten quite dire. Aggressive panhandling is quite common, drug addiction is rampant, and both cities have seemingly given up on a real solution to either problem. The previous mayor of Portland didn't even run for reelection. Both cities keep extending protections of the homeless population with policies and edicts that go against the best interests of businesses and other city residents. And, let's be clear, no one is arguing for either city to turn their back on the homeless population, just that it find better (and, effective) ways to address the issues.

Posted on: 5/17 10:21
Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

srs7191 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Meanwhile back in Seattle....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busines ... s-tax-20180515-story.html

I can't believe all the people that want to help Newark at the expense of Seattle... pretty obvious what is going on and its Jeff Bezos shirking his social responsibilities.


Jeff shirking his social responsibilities?

Seattle caused this chronic homeless situation with strict zoning laws and restrictions that stop anything other than luxury housing from being built (sounds familiar).

They created the problem, now they're trying to send the bill to others. Wish I could do that.


This. Plus, super liberal policies that encourage other young, homeless people to come live in Seattle among the same kind. My last trip to Seattle a year ago was a really sad one: the city is literally overrun with people drugged out of their minds and lots of homeless people who seem to have more rights and privileges than the average citizen. It is a sad state of affairs, and (understandably) the city residents have grown tired of their local government ineffectiveness.

The city refuses to be held accountable and instead is trying to milk their large companies for more money to pay for their own mess.

I know two couples that prior to moving to Seattle were serious liberals and now think of themselves as anything but that. The failure of liberal policies to protect the interests and rights of residents other than homeless people has caused a lot of resentment and discord. After three days visiting last summer, I doubt I’ll be going back anytime soon.

Posted on: 5/16 19:09
Top


Re: New Tax Rate is Insane!
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

landshark wrote:
2018 assessments are posted on the NJ website. Vacant land was missing from the previous lists. As I expected look low from the ones I checked downtown.

239 Montgomery: Assessed at 375k but the neighboring property the same size has a land assessment of 765k

63 Mercer: Sold in 2016 for 3mm but assessed at 774k

208 Columbus: Sold in 2015 for 1.45mm but assessed at 727k

131 Morgan: Sold in 2016 for 1.98mm but assessed at 775k


I've been saying for a while the land valuations were going to be a mess. Clearly they don't use comps for empty land and they use an ass-backwards subtractive system for developed land.

I had thought that since abatements are not on the land, just on the improvements, that we would see tax increases from abated properties. Solomon said no that's not the way it works. Funny, huh?


I hate to ever entertain, or partake in, conspiracy theories, but given the history of shenanigans related to this reval, and the powerful vested interests, one can’t help wonder if this botched implementation is perhaps a way to further delay the implementation of the reval results.

Too Machiavellian??

Or, it just doesn't make sense.

The reval is done. Property tax changes are already getting rolled out. They won't roll everything back because of issues with vacant lots.


You seem to miss the point: lots of improved lots are seeing wildly different valuations, even when located immediately next to each other or within the same block. The point that some are making, including myself, is that assigning completely different values to the built upon lots opens the door for a legal challenge that could potentially delay, or stop, implementation of the reval results.

It's too late to stop the reval. It's over.

Also, think about what you're proposing:

1) The city loses in court and has to do the reval.
2) They pay a company to do the reval
3) They secretly order Appraisal Systems to use a formula that is completely screwy with land values, but the final values generally get within 15% of comp values for developed properties
4) They hope that enough people notice the issue with vacant land that they sue the city not to adjust those vacant properties, but to force another reval (even though Appraisal Systems could just rerun the numbers with a new set of formulas)
5) This happens months after the city has already published a lot of new valuations AND taken the heat from downtown residents AND seen property values in other parts of JC go up when taxes there go down AND discussed doing a follow-up reval in ~2 years.

Ever heard of Ockham's Razor? ;)


Quote:
How can the valuation company, or the city, justify that which defies logic or reason? That is, how can two lots (of similar size) in the same vicinity have totally different values?

I have no clue whatsoever. You'd have to ask Appraisal Systems. (201) 493-8530.


You keep bringing up empty lots, but I never brought those up, nor do I care about those in the least. As for the reval itself, I have always been for it (and have been open about that position for years now) and accurately predicted the overall results (massive increase in DT, some increases in JSQ, substantial decreases in BeLa and Greenville) but missed the mark on the final rate (originally, I had assumed/expected a rate of about 2%, and later something closer to 1.8%). I mention all of this to dispel any notion that I’m advocating against the reval, or the implementation of its results. It is precisely because I want to see the reval implemented that I worry (in the broad sense of the word) that they are botching some basic stuff. I don’t believe the city has engaged in some grand conspiracy to screw up the reval, but I do believe it is possible that there is little pressure to ensure the final step (implementation) is as clear and correct as possible, and that there are some powerful interests that would benefit from a further delay of the reval being implemented.

It simply doesn’t make sense for a professional appraisal company to come up with values out of thin air for a set of properties, and that the breakdown of those values (land and improvement) vary wildly between adjacent properties of similar lot size and conditions. This is the type of stuff that could be used for a legal challenge.

Posted on: 5/13 15:43
Top


Re: New Tax Rate is Insane!
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

landshark wrote:
2018 assessments are posted on the NJ website. Vacant land was missing from the previous lists. As I expected look low from the ones I checked downtown.

239 Montgomery: Assessed at 375k but the neighboring property the same size has a land assessment of 765k

63 Mercer: Sold in 2016 for 3mm but assessed at 774k

208 Columbus: Sold in 2015 for 1.45mm but assessed at 727k

131 Morgan: Sold in 2016 for 1.98mm but assessed at 775k


I've been saying for a while the land valuations were going to be a mess. Clearly they don't use comps for empty land and they use an ass-backwards subtractive system for developed land.

I had thought that since abatements are not on the land, just on the improvements, that we would see tax increases from abated properties. Solomon said no that's not the way it works. Funny, huh?


I hate to ever entertain, or partake in, conspiracy theories, but given the history of shenanigans related to this reval, and the powerful vested interests, one can’t help wonder if this botched implementation is perhaps a way to further delay the implementation of the reval results.

Too Machiavellian??

Or, it just doesn't make sense.

The reval is done. Property tax changes are already getting rolled out. They won't roll everything back because of issues with vacant lots.


You seem to miss the point: lots of improved lots are seeing wildly different valuations, even when located immediately next to each other or within the same block. The point that some are making, including myself, is that assigning completely different values to the built upon lots opens the door for a legal challenge that could potentially delay, or stop, implementation of the reval results. How can the valuation company, or the city, justify that which defies logic or reason? That is, how can two lots (of similar size) in the same vicinity have totally different values?

Posted on: 5/13 14:25
Top


Re: New Tax Rate is Insane!
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

landshark wrote:
2018 assessments are posted on the NJ website. Vacant land was missing from the previous lists. As I expected look low from the ones I checked downtown.

239 Montgomery: Assessed at 375k but the neighboring property the same size has a land assessment of 765k

63 Mercer: Sold in 2016 for 3mm but assessed at 774k

208 Columbus: Sold in 2015 for 1.45mm but assessed at 727k

131 Morgan: Sold in 2016 for 1.98mm but assessed at 775k


I've been saying for a while the land valuations were going to be a mess. Clearly they don't use comps for empty land and they use an ass-backwards subtractive system for developed land.

I had thought that since abatements are not on the land, just on the improvements, that we would see tax increases from abated properties. Solomon said no that's not the way it works. Funny, huh?


I hate to ever entertain, or partake in, conspiracy theories, but given the history of shenanigans related to this reval, and the powerful vested interests, one can’t help wonder if this botched implementation is perhaps a way to further delay the implementation of the reval results.

Too Machiavellian??

Posted on: 5/12 3:34
Top


Re: Port Authority tests new security scanners at WTC PATH station
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

mpwJC wrote:
Quote:

srs7191 wrote:
Why would it take 200 units? Why not just integrate them into the ticket gates?

If the tech is good, let's replace the TSA with these machines.

The website claims 600 people per unit per hour, and no need to empty pockets. Would be nice to get comfort and speed at airport security.
I'm not following the math for 200 units either. At peak rush hour from 5-6 pm on weekdays, a little over 14k people enter the WTC PATH station. At 600 people per unit per hour, that would mean 24 units would be required to manage that volume. I'm not at all in favor of this kind of "security" measure being installed in the PATH system, but the math doesn't add up.


Your math is correct, but its application is completely off. While 24 units could, in theory, process 14K people in hour, that presumes that one can control the manner in which those 14K subjects are fed into the system.

If each machine can process 600 people every hour, that means it could theoretically process 10 individuals every minute, or one every six seconds. The reality is that, during rush hour, the same space may be occupied by 4, 5, or even 6, different people in a six second period. People at WTC move along in a manner similar to ants, following the person ahead almost immediately behind them. There is likely something like a one or two second separation. As such, if you take the 24 number you derived, and multiply it by 6, you end up at 144. 200 is not overkill, as such a system would need to have some redundancy built into it.

In any case, I hate the idea on principle alone. I find it unnerving to see so many policemen, and military personnel, stationed at WTC and 33rd street, and I rue the fact that we have allowed a police state mentality to take over our daily lives. I have spoken with friends who have told me, in no uncertain terms, that they actually don't feel safe at a station if they don't see police or military personnel deployed on site. Not too long ago, we used to thumb our nose at pretty much every other country in the world because of their use of national ID cards, and here in this region people seem to clamor for more police, more military, more random inspections, more of the security theater nonsense we have come to accept as normal and necessary.

Posted on: 5/10 19:43
Top


Re: White Eagle Hall *UPCOMING SHOWS*
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
I beg of you, use a carriage return to make this legible. I actually care what it says but it's written in the least user-friendly way.


So true. I am SUPER excited about attending more shows at White Eagle, but this massive paragraph without breaks is almost impossible to read. :(

Posted on: 5/9 17:12
Top


Re: Okay, so who here thinks the Katyn monument needs to go?
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

brewster wrote:
It must be endtimes, when even Gerry McCann sounds sensible on a subject. But LSP is obviously state land, and JC cannot make that choice. I liked the idea of the tip of Morris Canal Park though. That's a dramatic setting for a dramatic statue.

As for what to replace it with, how about a fucking flagpole and Old Glory? A symbol of unity rather than the endless divisive identity politics we currently suffer from all sides. No factions or niche constituencies, just US, the USA.


100% agreed with this! I am always surprised, and dismayed, by the dearth of US flags in this area. I have lived in so many other parts of the country where the flag is proudly flown in common/public areas, as well as outside of private residences. The "identity politics" of this region are so provincial... and, as you indicate, also divisive.

Posted on: 5/9 4:02
Top


Re: suede dry cleaning?
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hard to beat the services and results from Leather Spa. They are pricey, but very, very good. They even have a Tribeca location.

https://leatherspa.com/repair-services#garments

Posted on: 5/8 6:56
Top


Re: Architect for measuring floorplans
Home away from home
Home away from home


Not quite an answer to the specified request, but measuring and sketching floorplans, or entire homes, can be done very easily with the freeware SketchUp, which was formerly owned by Google, but now is a stand alone company. It is not so hard to use and the results are impressive.

Check it out here: https://www.sketchup.com

Posted on: 5/8 6:52
Top



TopTop
« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 117 »






Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017