Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City Flag
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Somehow, I think is going to devolve into those who want to redo the JC flag into one that shows 'diversity', the desire for 'income equality', reflect and embrace LGTG rainbow unity, and Fulop for Governor . . . maybe throw in slave reparations and open borders too.

Why not just leave it the way it is?

Didn't think of it but you're definitely onto something. It may end up into a nice symbol that Fulop can use in his governor campaign to court "progressives."

Posted on: 2015/10/31 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
ugh I hope not that would be such a dumb idea and lead to a jumbled mess I'm sure. My idea (just started thinking on this after that last post) was a flag with the lower half a gold-orange, to represent the "Gold Coast" that has always been the economic driver here, and maybe the city's Dutch foundation. The upper half would be a dark green, to represent the upper parts of JC that are the life and heart of the city. The Lenape also called the Palisades "rocks that look like trees" or something like that.

On the lower half of the flag would be a star or star fort similar to the one at Paulus Hook, which was essential during the Revolutionary War. On the top half, I'm not sure. An apple to represent life and abundance and the Apple Tree House? A gateway or arch to represent Jersey City's place as the gateway to the US for immigrants? A studded crown or a torch to represent the Statue of Liberty and everything it stands for? Lots of options.

Posted on: 2015/10/31 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Somehow, I think is going to devolve into those who want to redo the JC flag into one that shows 'diversity', the desire for 'income equality', reflect and embrace LGTG rainbow unity, and Fulop for Governor . . . maybe throw in slave reparations and open borders too.

Why not just leave it the way it is?

Posted on: 2015/10/31 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Flags should only be flown or hung from a flag pole or draped in a proper way. Making patches or clothing is a desecration to it, as if it were lying on the ground.
That's part of the flag code for the US flag, but people have been using flag crests and coats of arms on shields and clothing and drums and everything for thousands of years. In my opinion, if a flag doesn't look good on clothing, it's not a good flag. There's nothing disrespectful about wearing a flag design if it's not done to be disrespectful. It's just a design, after all.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/10/31 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ahal wrote:
Ignoring the sarcasm for a second, flags aren't supposed to have text. So, you know, that wouldn't work.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
It should have an image of the pie in the sky pedestrian bridge to NY and incorporate '6th Borough' somewhere in the text.

Good point. Keep the pie in the sky pedestrian bridge and replace "6th Borough" with a unicorn.

Posted on: 2015/10/31 16:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/4 12:11
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Ignoring the sarcasm for a second, flags aren't supposed to have text. So, you know, that wouldn't work.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
It should have an image of the pie in the sky pedestrian bridge to NY and incorporate '6th Borough' somewhere in the text.

Posted on: 2015/10/31 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/31 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Flags should only be flown or hung from a flag pole or draped in a proper way. Making patches or clothing is a desecration to it, as if it were lying on the ground.

Posted on: 2015/10/31 15:26
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure what to do with the state flag, but it seems like a city flag is a practical thing, something that we can do by getting buy in from a realistic quantity of stakeholders.

I suppose the big issue here is that I have no idea what the hell it would look like. Ha.

Quote:

CatDog wrote:
The NJ flag is horribly as well. Buff might work well on clothing but it's hideous on a flag. People wear the flags of California, Texas, Colorado, etc but nobody is proud of the flags of NJ, NY or others. Our flags are a footnote. A nicer looking flag would be a great boost to state pride.

Posted on: 2015/10/30 12:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The NJ flag is horribly as well. Buff might work well on clothing but it's hideous on a flag. People wear the flags of California, Texas, Colorado, etc but nobody is proud of the flags of NJ, NY or others. Our flags are a footnote. A nicer looking flag would be a great boost to state pride.

Posted on: 2015/10/28 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ahal wrote:
I've been listening to a design podcast called 99% Invisible lately. they had this episode about the flags that city fly and how horrible they are, but how a flag done right could be a surprisingly uniting symbol.

The Jersey City flag breaks several of the principals, perhaps most abhorrently the idea that you shouldn't have lettering or a seal on your flag.

My question is, if we had to re-create the Jersey City flag, what would it look like, and how would we get people to rally around it?

Totally think this should be the next design competition driven by the city, btw.

Here's a link to the episode that he re-purposed as a Ted Talk.

Unicorns. It should definitely have unicorns. And butterflies...

This is epic, btw...I can see it going down in JC *just* like this!

Last Week Tonight With John Oliver- New Zealand Flag Contest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlMCdgyaNV4

Posted on: 2015/10/28 14:56

Jersey City Flag
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I've been listening to a design podcast called 99% Invisible lately. they had this episode about the flags that city fly and how horrible they are, but how a flag done right could be a surprisingly uniting symbol.

The Jersey City flag breaks several of the principals, perhaps most abhorrently the idea that you shouldn't have lettering or a seal on your flag.

My question is, if we had to re-create the Jersey City flag, what would it look like, and how would we get people to rally around it?

Totally think this should be the next design competition driven by the city, btw.

[url=https://www.ted.com/talks/roman_mars_why_city_flags_may_be_the_worst_designed_thing_you_ve_never_noticed/transcript?language=en]Here's a link to the episode that he re-purposed as a Ted Talk. [/url]

Posted on: 2015/10/27 17:54

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017