Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Mrs. Maria Skupien................

Hide User information
Last Login :
2005/12/27 20:08
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you so much for your kind words about our Grandmother! My name is Michele and we used to live right next door to her at 281 Pavonia(a while ago). When I heard about everyone, even people who didn't know her,
writing such nice things about her, I had to log on and thank
everyone! She touched us all in one way or another, whether it was with her beautiful garden or a smile and a kind hello. On behalf of our whole family, we thank you and everyone who offer their prayers.

Posted on: 2005/12/27 20:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
My condolences to her family and friends. I agree, she sounded like a wonderful woman.

What a horrible way to leave this planet, too. Something definitely needs to be done. Didn't another elderly woman get hit crossing Montgomery by Marin over the summer?

Posted on: 2005/12/11 22:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/8 22:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rpinkowitz wrote:

Yes, she like many others are truly what makes HP a wonderful place to live. She was loved by so many. Can you imagine 11 kids? ( g-d bless her).

yeah, really.

Posted on: 2005/12/11 8:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2006/4/2 17:38
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

swooshy wrote:
My condolences to you all. She sounds like she was a great lady, the kind of person who makes your day better and this city brighter.

Yes, she like many others are truly what makes HP a wonderful place to live. She was loved by so many. Can you imagine 11 kids? ( g-d bless her).

Posted on: 2005/12/11 5:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
How terrible -- Newark Avenue is like a speedway for buses and trucks. The traffic lights when they are actually working, are often ignored! That whole stretch on Newark from Brunswick all the way up the hill to Dickinson High School is a free for all. Right where she was hit, trucks, buses and cars race up and down the hill at all hours. It is unreal at rush hour!

I agree with swooshy -- " I think everyone should write to Councilmen Lipsky, Fulop, the county executive and the Mayor."

I am deeply sadden by your loss -- it could have been ANY of us on Newark Avenue.

Posted on: 2005/12/10 15:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/16 16:24
Group:
Registered Users
My condolences to you all. She sounds like she was a great lady, the kind of person who makes your day better and this city brighter.

I think everyone should write to Councilmen Lipsky, Fulop, the county executive and the Mayor about this street. (Newark Ave.) It's not acceptable in a city this size to let this go unaddressed. There are NO places to cross this street(Newark Avenue) safely between Palisades Ave. and about 4th or 5th Street downtown. There is a crosswalk under the turnpike with a sign that is IGNORED by drivers. Please contact your elected officials and ask something be done about this.

Posted on: 2005/12/10 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/8 22:08
Group:
Registered Users
This is an absolute shock. I lived in Mrs. Skupian's building for about two years, so I know very well what a kind soul and sweet lady she truly was. I will never pass that corner again without thinking of her outside sweeping the sidewalk, tending to her beautiful garden and keeping a watchful eye on the neighborhood. The fact that it happened so suddenly and in such a senseless way is what shocks me the most. I add my heartfelt condolences to her entire family.

She will be missed by all who knew her. God bless.

Posted on: 2005/12/10 6:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I am so sorry to hear this, my deepest condolences to the family.

Newark Avenue is a dangerous place to cross. There are so many intersectiing streets where motorists can make sharp turns out of nowhere. Crossing north to south or vice versa is also generally a risk. There are far too many accidents waiting to happen on that street.

Joshua

Posted on: 2005/12/10 1:49

Mrs. Maria Skupien................

Hide User information
Last Login :
2006/4/2 17:38
Group:
Registered Users
We?ve learned of some very sad news.... Mrs. Maria Skupien was killed while crossing Newark ave.

News report from the Jersey Journal

For those who knew her, will share our shock and sadness for those who did not, she was one of those very special ladies that made Hamilton Park a very unique place to live. She was the woman who lived on the corner of West Hamilton Place and Pavonia who had that amazing garden; she had become a single mom with 11 children and raised them with love and an iron fist. Every day for 12 years like clock work, I?d walk my dog and she would be outside tending to her property. She greeted me for 12 years with a cheerful good morning and for 12 years I would say ?good morning Mrs. Skupien? Never calling her by her first name (it was a respect thing) she was such a cheerful lady and it was always wonderful to start the day being greeted by such a kind soul . She was from Poland (just like my Grandma who passed away years ago) and her perogies were just like my Grandma?s and always gave us care packages. Sundays at the Skupiens looked liked a scene from a movie all the kids, and grandkids eating dinner at mom?s house. That corner had so much life and love pouring out of that house.

She embraced all of us young silly newbie?s and welcomed us with open arms, She comforted all of us when P.O. Infantes was taken off life support, she comforted all of us during those dark days of Sep 11th. When my dad passed suddenly she came to my home and kissed me on the forehead and held me like I was one of her own children, it was a comfort during one of my saddest moments in my life, for many of us who moved to HP came from outside Hudson County and she was our surrogate, mom, grandma, and one of the reasons why Hamilton Park was not just where I lived but my home.

I will miss her terribly and my prayers are with her family.

Posted on: 2005/12/9 23:20

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017