Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Re: LOTS of new Stop Signs Downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
OK, I don't have any reason to walk or drive that block of Pavonia often, but I would have sworn on a stack of bibles there was a stop sign on Pavonia, as there should be. Did someone steal it?

Uncontrolled intersections are pretty rare around here, the one that blows my mind is getting from rt 3 to Tonnelle, perpendicular ramps with a "yield" sign.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 23:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/14 18:55
Group:
Registered Users
The intersection had absolutely no signage so essentially cars going north on West Hamilton Place and cars going east on Pavonia Avenue both had the "right of way", i.e. an accident waiting to happen. In any case, I did reach out to Candice and she informed me of this frustrating fight since October 2013. Well, finally a stop sign was installed today for those traveling east on Pavonia. Painted crosswalks will be there tomorrow.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 22:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
West Hamilton Place and Pavonia is half a short block. It needs pedestrian crossing markings. A stop sign is a bit of overkill imo.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 17:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
I've been talking with Candus about this exact same intersection since October of last year. How hard is it to get a stop sign up at an intersection of two roads at a park?!?
I've been copied on several of the emails Candus has sent to the Department of Public Works and
Division of Traffic & Transportation and I can safely say it is not Candus' fault. The department is just not responding and doesn't seem to care at all. It's ridiculous.

Quote:

oJcanuC wrote:
There currently is no stop sign at the intersection of West Hamilton Place and Pavonia. I find this dangerous and absurd. I opened a request with the RRC on May 3rd. It is currently under assessment and I was told it can take up to 6 months for an assessment, but mine request was given "priority" since it was next to a park. Four months later I am still baffled what the problem could be as to why that intersection doesn't deserve a stop sign or two immediately. Am I wrong to think that there should at least be one stop sign at that intersection, probably two? The fact that there is not stop sign at all is asking for an accident. Please be careful when crossing those streets.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 4:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I find it sad that we can't look outside our own little sandbox to see solutions in other communities other than having every single block everywhere having a stop sign. Out neighbor Hoboken, which has similar problems has found ways to make the "pedestrian right of way" thing work. Almost too well, pedestrians there are so confident they don't even look up when crossing the street!

As it stands now, every resident wants a stop or a hump or both on THEIR street! This is not the solution, but for some reason better educating and disciplining drivers, normally a lucrative industry for local law enforcement, doesn't seem to be in the playbook. Every once in a while there's a push and you'll see a lot of tickets given, then it stops. As we all know, a cop at any stop sign in JC could issue tickets as fast as he could write them. I can't drive 10 minutes here without seeing someone blow a stop, and I don't mean a roll through. So adding stop signs without any significant enforcement is begging the question, don't you think?

Posted on: 2014/9/16 3:41

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/14 18:55
Group:
Registered Users
There currently is no stop sign at the intersection of West Hamilton Place and Pavonia. I find this dangerous and absurd. I opened a request with the RRC on May 3rd. It is currently under assessment and I was told it can take up to 6 months for an assessment, but mine request was given "priority" since it was next to a park. Four months later I am still baffled what the problem could be as to why that intersection doesn't deserve a stop sign or two immediately. Am I wrong to think that there should at least be one stop sign at that intersection, probably two? The fact that there is not stop sign at all is asking for an accident. Please be careful when crossing those streets.

Posted on: 2014/9/16 1:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stephen wrote:
The Harsimus Cove Association has published their observations on how to improve the process of installing a new stop sign. http://www.harsimuscove.org/news/new-stop-sign-rollout

thanks for staying on top of this, Stephen!

Posted on: 2014/4/30 16:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/5 15:04
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
The Harsimus Cove Association has published their observations on how to improve the process of installing a new stop sign. http://www.harsimuscove.org/news/new-stop-sign-rollout

Posted on: 2014/4/30 13:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Once again Reading comprehension skills on here are at an all time low. We went off track because a poster on here mentioned how their dog was almost hit from some jackass backing up down a one way street. The idiot driver is the given in this scenario. Agreed? Can we all agree we acknowledge the drivers suck?

Ok, we also then established this poster walks their dog like most dopey dog walkers in this city, as in well ahead of them. As in improperly. Therefore, if you just walked your dog properly (not likely), the chances of it getting hit by an errant driver are reduced.

Are some of you guys and gals on here not able to walk and chew gum at the same time?

Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
I just hope the dopey dog owners in this town actually take the time to be a responsible dog owner.

but dopey, irresponsible drivers: carry on.

Posted on: 2014/3/29 0:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
I just hope the dopey dog owners in this town actually take the time to be a responsible dog owner.

but dopey, irresponsible drivers: carry on.

Posted on: 2014/3/28 23:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Thank you, your link backs up everything I've said on this board. The only wiggle room is concept of dominance, which is playing semantics. The bottom line point is majority of dog owners in this city haven't taken a second to train their dogs (and themselves).

Thanks again for providing this. I just hope the dopey dog owners in this town actually take the time to be a responsible dog owner.

Quote:

vanvorst wrote:
Way to go off topic.

The whole alpha/dominance thing is a myth anyway. It's been debunked by MANY dog experts.

Association of Professional Dog Trainers

Posted on: 2014/3/27 20:11

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/21 19:56
Group:
Registered Users
Way to go off topic.

The whole alpha/dominance thing is a myth anyway. It's been debunked by MANY dog experts.

Association of Professional Dog Trainers

Posted on: 2014/3/27 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Must be fun to have you in the back seat of a car, Nyrgravey.

Posted on: 2014/3/27 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
That's not what I am saying. Control what you can control. If you walk your properly, then it will be much more difficult for it to get when drivers make mistakes. What's insane is how little attention the dog owners in this town actually give to properly training themselves to own a dog (much different than simply training their dogs).

Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

Forget stop signs, speed bumps, and police enforcement. We can all stop Jersey City drivers from being completely insane by simply...teaching our dogs to heel.

It's so obvious!

Posted on: 2014/3/27 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Stop making excuses for why you're terrible at walking your dog and wondering how it almost got hit by a car.

Wow. Seriously?! Somebody drives the wrong way down a one-way street, BACKWARDS, and the only takeaway you have is "you're walking your dog wrong?"

Forget stop signs, speed bumps, and police enforcement. We can all stop Jersey City drivers from being completely insane by simply...teaching our dogs to heel.

It's so obvious!

Posted on: 2014/3/27 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
JCBiscuit, it's not about pulling. Your dog walks you. Period

Step up, and be the human in the relationship. Stop making excuses for why you're terrible at walking your dog and wondering how it almost got hit by a car.

http://m.dogbreedinfo.com/?url=http%3 ... ticles%2Fdogwalk.htm#2933

"Walk your dog, do not let your dog walk you. If you allow your dog to walk in front of you while on a lead you are reinforcing in the dog's mind that the dog is alpha over you because the leader always goes first. This can lead to many behavioral issues that some regard as a "breed trait" or "personality," when actually it is your dog being in charge of its humans. When a dog walks in front, it does not drain its mental energy. The dog is not relaxed, as it has the big responsibility of leading the pack. This mental anguish can build up inside of a dog. When a dog is hyper or high-strung it means the dog is not getting the proper amount and/or type of exercise. If your dog runs laps around your yard or house, this is an indication that it is not getting enough exercise."

Posted on: 2014/3/24 7:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
He doesn't pull me, he simply walks ahead of me where I can see him. There are, sadly, more horrible events happening in the world.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Well then, my friend, you need to read a book on proper dog walking. That's horrible. Your dog walks you. Much like most people in this city. It's sad.

Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
I have to somewhat agree with Heights. Are you one of the many people in this city who doesn't know how to properly walk their dog? (In other words, 10 feet out in front of you on a retractable leash?).

It would be refreshing to meet a dog owner in this city who actually knows how to properly walk their dog.

(Assuming they actually had them on leash of course).

Only in Jersey City does one need to look both ways on a one-way street.

And I was 2 feet behind my dog, who walks on a regular leash.

Posted on: 2014/3/24 6:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Morris Canal WAS the safest place to run your dog. In a few weeks its going to be known as the place to get the most tickets from animal control. Second behind VVP and Hamilton. Just wait and see what's in store...

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
I have to somewhat agree with Heights. Are you one of the many people in this city who doesn't know how to properly walk their dog? (In other words, 10 feet out in front of you on a retractable leash?).

It would be refreshing to meet a dog owner in this city who actually knows how to properly walk their dog.

Everybody knows that the best, safest place to run your dog is Morris Canal Park but I would hardly blame the "almost" victim since they did indeed get out of harms way. I suppose you think that woman who got run over with her 5 year old is a terrible parent?

Posted on: 2014/3/24 1:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Well then, my friend, you need to read a book on proper dog walking. That's horrible. Your dog walks you. Much like most people in this city. It's sad.

Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/24 1:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/8 3:47
Group:
Registered Users
NO MISTER
THAT MY TIO BEN
HE GOOD PEPLE BUT CRAZY

Posted on: 2014/3/24 0:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/24 0:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Everybody knows that the best, safest place to run your dog is Morris Canal Park but I would hardly blame the "almost" victim since they did indeed get out of harms way. I suppose you think that woman who got run over with her 5 year old is a terrible parent?

Posted on: 2014/3/24 0:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Ill give it you. That was chuckle worthy lol.

Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:

Interesting side-note: The man who alerted me was the same gentleman who walks down Erie yelling at phantoms, occasionally with a vuvuzela and/or hardhat.

He actually posts here under the name "Heights".

Posted on: 2014/3/23 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:

Interesting side-note: The man who alerted me was the same gentleman who walks down Erie yelling at phantoms, occasionally with a vuvuzela and/or hardhat.

He actually posts here under the name "Heights".

Posted on: 2014/3/23 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/3/23 14:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Just this morning, I watched yet another person blow through the stop sign at Erie and First. Then I stepped in the road to cross Erie, and somebody shouted "look out!" That same car was now backing up through the First and Erie intersection.

I wasn't looking in her direction, as I don't expect cars to to be coming from wrong way on this one-way street. I pulled my dog out of the way moments before he would've been flattened.

Because yes, I am this kind of person, I ran after the car. She stopped in front of that little Montessori school and calmly explained to me that she was just dropping off her son.

To recap: This woman drove backwards on a one-way street for an entire block in order to get her kid to nursery school.

Interesting side-note: The man who alerted me was the same gentleman who walks down Erie yelling at phantoms, occasionally with a vuvuzela and/or hardhat. This is the only moment of clarity I've ever witnessed from him, and it literally saved my dog's life. I thanked him profusely, and he replied, "the people in this town drive like they're crazy."

Didn't your mother tell you to look both ways ? Also how long was you dog's leash and was it retractable ?

Posted on: 2014/3/23 11:07
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Just this morning, I watched yet another person blow through the stop sign at Erie and First. Then I stepped in the road to cross Erie, and somebody shouted "look out!" That same car was now backing up through the First and Erie intersection.

I wasn't looking in her direction, as I don't expect cars to to be coming from wrong way on this one-way street. I pulled my dog out of the way moments before he would've been flattened.

Because yes, I am this kind of person, I ran after the car. She stopped in front of that little Montessori school and calmly explained to me that she was just dropping off her son.

To recap: This woman drove backwards on a one-way street for an entire block in order to get her kid to nursery school.

Interesting side-note: The man who alerted me was the same gentleman who walks down Erie yelling at phantoms, occasionally with a vuvuzela and/or hardhat. This is the only moment of clarity I've ever witnessed from him, and it literally saved my dog's life. I thanked him profusely, and he replied, "the people in this town drive like they're crazy."

This is why so many college music programs make you use pen. If you make a mistake you gotta live with it or start over. She missed her turn so she backs up? What a moron.

Posted on: 2014/3/22 5:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:

I wasn't looking in her direction, as I don't expect cars to to be coming from the wrong way on this one-way street. I pulled my dog out of the way moments before he would've been flattened.

I'm glad you and your pooch escaped injury. That's a great story. Maybe that guy is Boo Radley?

he is SO Boo Radley!!!

Posted on: 2014/3/22 5:15

Edited by JCbiscuit on 2014/3/22 5:41:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:

I'm glad you and your pooch escaped injury. That's a great story. Maybe that guy is Boo Radley?

Posted on: 2014/3/22 4:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/22 4:47

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017