Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...




Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users




(1) 2 »


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#48
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/4/10 18:00
Last Login :
2018/11/5 3:11
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 50
Offline
that Ginfi Mexican restaurant that was on Erie between 7th and 8th. Food was decent but barely had any customers so they had to close.

I agree that the HP area could use something. Grove street is a task just to get food.

Quote:

rycor wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
With the place on Erie closing, we could really use a Mexican take out place in the HP area aside from Taco Bell and Qdoba. I rarely feel like schlepping all the way down to the Grove St area just for food.

Soul Flavors was worth it though...well worth it. Damn.


What place on Erie?

Posted on: 2013/11/8 15:17
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#47
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/7/23 16:17
Last Login :
2015/10/6 15:31
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 102
Offline
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
With the place on Erie closing, we could really use a Mexican take out place in the HP area aside from Taco Bell and Qdoba. I rarely feel like schlepping all the way down to the Grove St area just for food.

Soul Flavors was worth it though...well worth it. Damn.


What place on Erie?

Posted on: 2013/11/8 14:48
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#46
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/2/9 3:46
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 291
Offline
The "everything" chorizo burrito here is delicious beyond words. *DROOL*

Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Taqueria Viva Mexico on Susses delivers.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 14:20
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#45
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/9/10 17:55
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1206
Offline
Taqueria Viva Mexico on Susses delivers.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 13:22
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#44
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/7/11 19:25
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 357
Offline
With the place on Erie closing, we could really use a Mexican take out place in the HP area aside from Taco Bell and Qdoba. I rarely feel like schlepping all the way down to the Grove St area just for food.

Soul Flavors was worth it though...well worth it. Damn.

Posted on: 2013/11/7 21:29
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#43
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/12/30 16:56
Last Login :
7/28 15:31
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 650
Offline
I have friends and coworkers from the SW and CA that say Taqueria is pretty good compared to anything they have had out west. Not the best, bt definitely head and shoulders above anything thye have had in the tri-state area. In fact, my one coworker's wife, who is of Mexican decent herself, and grew up in CA insists they make the trek to JC from Princeton, just to eat there regularly.

Orale is nice for the decor and festive ambiance, but the fgood lacks. It is bland, overpriced, and the service is mediocre. The pork belly I had there was deep fried and hard as a rock. The marrow was tasteless, and the little cast iron queso appetizers were greasy and lacking.

I will go there for drinks, but even there, I think the bar at Hard Grove is better.

Posted on: 2013/11/3 0:53
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#42
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/10/3 18:08
Last Login :
2015/2/3 2:12
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 41
Offline
Looks as if the new Tacqueria Downtown Catering Co. location will be a doing catering and/or delivery, take-out, storefront.

JC Life link

Posted on: 2013/11/2 17:33
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#41
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/7/1 16:39
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Posts: 1041
Offline
Yes, I know, I thought it was hilarious, I wasn't insulted dude! I was ribbing back, no worries. I read my comment back and realized it was a little harsh and the sarcasm didn't make it through LOL. Sorry about that.

Quote:

eblanco wrote:
For the record I was on your side with the dog leash thing. I couldn't resist, though.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Took ya long enough! It's about time we got back to non-sequitur trolling on these boards!

Quote:

eblanco wrote:
I heard Taqueria walks their dog without a leash.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 20:11
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#40
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/6/24 15:01
Last Login :
2018/11/11 21:03
From 2nd St.
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 45
Offline
For the record I was on your side with the dog leash thing. I couldn't resist, though.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Took ya long enough! It's about time we got back to non-sequitur trolling on these boards!

Quote:

eblanco wrote:
I heard Taqueria walks their dog without a leash.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 19:54
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#39
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/2/9 3:46
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 291
Offline
This is why I frequent JCList.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Took ya long enough! It's about time we got back to non-sequitur trolling on these boards!

Quote:

eblanco wrote:
I heard Taqueria walks their dog without a leash.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 19:44
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#38
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/7/1 16:39
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Posts: 1041
Offline
+1

Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:
The people that work at Taqueria are pretty rude in my experience. The food is okay, but not markedly better than the cart outside the Grove PATH.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 19:42
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#37
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/10/11 4:24
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 183
Offline
The people that work at Taqueria are pretty rude in my experience. The food is okay, but not markedly better than the cart outside the Grove PATH.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 19:23
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#36
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/7/1 16:39
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Posts: 1041
Offline
Took ya long enough! It's about time we got back to non-sequitur trolling on these boards!

Quote:

eblanco wrote:
I heard Taqueria walks their dog without a leash.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 18:29
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#35
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/6/24 15:01
Last Login :
2018/11/11 21:03
From 2nd St.
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 45
Offline
I heard Taqueria walks their dog without a leash.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 16:38
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#34
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/4/10 18:00
Last Login :
2018/11/5 3:11
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 50
Offline
taqueria is good but can we get some carne asada or adobada tacos?!

Posted on: 2013/10/31 15:52
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#33
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/10/15 19:58
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 175
Offline
Taqueria has gotten rave reviews from friends from Texas and California who I've taken there. Personally, I doubt it compares to the better taco places in San Diego, but it's certainly one of the best the New York area has to offer.

Orale is something else, more American than Mexican. Its food is good, but it mainly gets by on having a trendy atmosphere. Which is fine, and I'd eat there again, too, though less often than at Taqueria. Also, my wallet appreciates it when I eat at Taqueria.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 15:09
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#32
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2009/10/7 15:46
Last Login :
Today 1:55
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3168
Offline
I don?t think this link was posted yet. It looks like Soul Flavors was up for sale for a while for $129K. It is now under contract. fyi

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/182159 ... ve-Street-Jersey-City-NJ/

Posted on: 2013/10/31 13:00
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#31
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/8/28 14:45
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 219
Offline
Everyone is forgetting about the Dopeness.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 12:58
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#30
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2009/9/21 22:19
Last Login :
2018/8/14 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 137
Offline
Food at the end of the day is subjective. And everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

It?s hard to compare taqueria with orale. They are two completely different restaurants and if one prefers casual dining authentic Mexican food, they may enjoy taqueria and if someone enjoys trendy atmospheres and average at best but nicely plated food and a tequila bar, they may enjoy orale. But if we?re just comparing the food, taqueria is hands down better and I think if you ask 10 chefs their opinion, 8/10 would agree.

Taqueria is the closest thing to authentic Mexican tacos you can get anywhere in this area and I would argue NYC as well. Orale is the closest thing you can get to a dos caminos/rosa mexicano in NJ. Great atmosphere, fantastic tequila bar. Both are great additions to the area and we should argue less about what is better and be thankful that we have these options.




Posted on: 2013/10/31 12:19
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#29
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/7/3 5:49
Last Login :
6/21 17:38
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1299
Offline
no, skippy. i am.

I would love to have seen what terrible tragedy happened to you at taqueria. Judging from what i've seen here, you probably tripped in the doorway and everyone just laughed at you, carrie style.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 12:19
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#28
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/7/1 16:39
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Posts: 1041
Offline
Are you referring to me boss? I'm not 35 so not sure where you got that from. But nice try. Google isn't always right.

I've been all over this country and beyond, friend, so not sure what my being from JC has to do with anything. But again, nice try, oh Alton Brown of the Jersey City Mexican cuisine.

You enjoy you're table for one at the fly infested, corner shithole you refer to as a "restaurant", loosely termed.

Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Yes, clearly the person that's spent all 35 years of his life in this area is from yurop. Terribly sorry you don't know what the difference between good food and bad food is. You have my pity. Can I safely assume you think orale is some fantastic bouquet because it's "authentic"? perhaps its because they're pricier than the competition and you're one of the suckers that thinks the more something costs the better it is?

Fortunately for me, I won't have to bother having tasteless noobs like yourself in the places I like to frequent. This is doubly positive because most of those places I mentioned are fairly crowded and without your cardboard-loving self in there, I have a slightly better chance of getting a good table.
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Ha, piss off, like you're some kind of European trash.

Then your friends are all tasteless rubes like yourself. If you surround yourself with idiots, and you all share the same opinion, it doesn't make the collective thoughts suddenly seem intelligible. It's still a circle of idiots drooling on each other.

You're not exactly batting on a full wicket, ya knob head plonker!



Posted on: 2013/10/31 3:57
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#27
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/7/3 5:49
Last Login :
6/21 17:38
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1299
Offline
Yes, clearly the person that's spent all 35 years of his life in this area is from yurop. Terribly sorry you don't know what the difference between good food and bad food is. You have my pity. Can I safely assume you think orale is some fantastic bouquet because it's "authentic"? perhaps its because they're pricier than the competition and you're one of the suckers that thinks the more something costs the better it is?

Fortunately for me, I won't have to bother having tasteless noobs like yourself in the places I like to frequent. This is doubly positive because most of those places I mentioned are fairly crowded and without your cardboard-loving self in there, I have a slightly better chance of getting a good table.
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Ha, piss off, like you're some kind of European trash.

Then your friends are all tasteless rubes like yourself. If you surround yourself with idiots, and you all share the same opinion, it doesn't make the collective thoughts suddenly seem intelligible. It's still a circle of idiots drooling on each other.

You're not exactly batting on a full wicket, ya knob head plonker!



Posted on: 2013/10/31 3:26
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#26
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/1/3 19:12
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2296
Offline
Quote:

JasonLLEE wrote:
Honestly... as someone from California, North, Southhaving tasted awesome Mexican fares from San Diego, TJ, LA, OC, Fresno, Sac to San Francisco and San Jose.. TQ downtown is avg at best. .. Sorry to say this but.. If you thing TQ Downtown is actually ranked in taco taste, you folks have not tasted rich, succulent, flavorful, tacos topped with mounds of juicy, spicy meats.


I've eaten at a bunch of the highly recommended taquerias in San Diego, LA area, and Santa Barbara, and I honestly feel that Taqueria compares pretty favorably with them. It was even better than some of the experiences I had in Cali.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 2:36
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#25
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/7/1 16:39
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Posts: 1041
Offline
Ha, piss off, like you're some kind of European trash.

Then your friends are all tasteless rubes like yourself. If you surround yourself with idiots, and you all share the same opinion, it doesn't make the collective thoughts suddenly seem intelligible. It's still a circle of idiots drooling on each other.

You're not exactly batting on a full wicket, ya knob head plonker!

Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
The food was inferior at orale and that's really all there is to it. Every single person who I actually know who's taste in food I give the slightest credence to that's tried that place has been thoroughly unimpressed.

By no means is Taqueria the best tacos I've ever had - I've been out to Cali and the southwest - it certainly falls short. This isn't Cali or New Mexico. This is New Jersey and simply based upon the food that is put on my plate, I would eat at taqueria every single time over orale and never think twice about it.

Shit, I'll say the same thing about 30 Acres, Conguita, Buon Appetito, Grand Szechuan, Kraverie, Bon Chon, and probably a few other restaurants in a 3-block radius. I'd eat at any of those places every single meal for the rest of my years before doing orale again.

When you factor in the costs, I'd probably just choose A1 deli on the other side of grove over orale!

Seriously, complaining about taqueria's service? Has anyone been complaining at all since the re-open? Hell, my service was never poor BEFORE then, so I'm just willing to accept that I'm awesome at not getting poor service at most places.

And seriously, you're comparing Taqueria's decor and Orale's decor and come up with the conclusion that you dislike it because its hipsterish? NOT the place with graffiti decor and transistor radios in the bathroom? That's not hipster? lmao piss off.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Either you have no sense of taste or just plain don't know what good food is. If your contention is that Taqueria is even in the same ballpark as orale, you cannot be taken seriously as a good critic.

That or you work for or have friends that work for taqueria.

Taquerias service is abysmal and rude. Their food is flavorless and bland on a good day. That, and the fact it's a sh*thole makes it inferior. Hipsters love it because its so cool to claim it as their own.

On all fronts orale is far superior and would trounce taqueria if it opened a store across from it.


Posted on: 2013/10/31 2:35
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#24
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/7/3 5:49
Last Login :
6/21 17:38
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1299
Offline
The food was inferior at orale and that's really all there is to it. Every single person who I actually know who's taste in food I give the slightest credence to that's tried that place has been thoroughly unimpressed.

By no means is Taqueria the best tacos I've ever had - I've been out to Cali and the southwest - it certainly falls short. This isn't Cali or New Mexico. This is New Jersey and simply based upon the food that is put on my plate, I would eat at taqueria every single time over orale and never think twice about it.

Shit, I'll say the same thing about 30 Acres, Conguita, Buon Appetito, Grand Szechuan, Kraverie, Bon Chon, and probably a few other restaurants in a 3-block radius. I'd eat at any of those places every single meal for the rest of my years before doing orale again.

When you factor in the costs, I'd probably just choose A1 deli on the other side of grove over orale!

Seriously, complaining about taqueria's service? Has anyone been complaining at all since the re-open? Hell, my service was never poor BEFORE then, so I'm just willing to accept that I'm awesome at not getting poor service at most places.

And seriously, you're comparing Taqueria's decor and Orale's decor and come up with the conclusion that you dislike it because its hipsterish? NOT the place with graffiti decor and transistor radios in the bathroom? That's not hipster? lmao piss off.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Either you have no sense of taste or just plain don't know what good food is. If your contention is that Taqueria is even in the same ballpark as orale, you cannot be taken seriously as a good critic.

That or you work for or have friends that work for taqueria.

Taquerias service is abysmal and rude. Their food is flavorless and bland on a good day. That, and the fact it's a sh*thole makes it inferior. Hipsters love it because its so cool to claim it as their own.

On all fronts orale is far superior and would trounce taqueria if it opened a store across from it.


Posted on: 2013/10/31 2:20
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#23
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/4/4 23:53
Last Login :
2014/4/6 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 18
Offline
Honestly... as someone from California, North, Southhaving tasted awesome Mexican fares from San Diego, TJ, LA, OC, Fresno, Sac to San Francisco and San Jose.. TQ downtown is avg at best. .. Sorry to say this but.. If you thing TQ Downtown is actually ranked in taco taste, you folks have not tasted rich, succulent, flavorful, tacos topped with mounds of juicy, spicy meats.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 1:51
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#22
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/7/1 16:39
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Posts: 1041
Offline
Either you have no sense of taste or just plain don't know what good food is. If your contention is that Taqueria is even in the same ballpark as orale, you cannot be taken seriously as a good critic.

That or you work for or have friends that work for taqueria.

Taquerias service is abysmal and rude. Their food is flavorless and bland on a good day. That, and the fact it's a sh*thole makes it inferior. Hipsters love it because its so cool to claim it as their own.

On all fronts orale is far superior and would trounce taqueria if it opened a store across from it.

Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
meh, I wouldn't go to Orale again even if they didn't charge what they did. It's just subpar food - dry chicken, oversweet mole, bland guacamole. I'd love for it to be better, but since I don't care for tequila or margaritas, there's really no reason for me to ever set foot in the place again.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 0:20
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#21
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/7/3 5:49
Last Login :
6/21 17:38
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1299
Offline
meh, I wouldn't go to Orale again even if they didn't charge what they did. It's just subpar food - dry chicken, oversweet mole, bland guacamole. I'd love for it to be better, but since I don't care for tequila or margaritas, there's really no reason for me to ever set foot in the place again.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 0:08
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#20
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/1/3 19:12
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2296
Offline
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
lol they'll put orale's kitchen out of business if they open a restaurant there. if its just a catering arm, that'd be a bit sad, but i certainly wouldn't begrudge them the spot.


Yeah, the confusion is why would they have a storefront for a catering business?

But I disagree that it would put Orale out of business. Orale is fantastic and is a different genre of food - much more complex and creative, in my opinion. It's a different dining experience overall.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 16:47
 Top 


Re: Soul Flavors is closing
#19
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/4/15 4:43
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 678
Offline
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Is this a branch of the place at Grove and Grand or is the word Taqueria being used generically?


I wonder the same

Posted on: 2013/10/30 3:01
 Top 




(1) 2 »




[Advanced Search]





Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017