Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Downtown:Shots fired near Little League practice 6:08PM
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/12 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MrWolf wrote:
I'm glad some people understand this issue. Bullets travel like the dickens and people should treat them with all the seriousness of nucleur waste.

The thing is, crime on the perimeter of downtown might as well be in the middle of downtown .... and focusing on imaginary borders does nothing but create false security. This incident is outrageous and everyone should be demanding action. The fact that we're not, only underscores how accustomed we are with this sort of BS. It's all Jersey City and the events that take place in one part, have their nasty implications for the others.

In other words, an a-hole thug with a penchant for armed robbery in Bergen-Laf will contemplate feeding in other less policed areas of the city .... and it happens all the time.

This BS needs to stop.

Mayor Healy is going to take action, Rather than deal with the criminals involved he is going to support the relocation of the little leaguers. But what about the residents of the area? Is he going to relocate all of them too? What about the drivers accessing the NJ Turnpike ramp? Could they get hit with stray bullets too? Maybe we could detour traffic to a safer ramp maybe in Bayonne. Mayor Healy will take action immediately following his re-election since he has been too busy to do it in the past four years.

Posted on: 2009/4/24 4:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/7 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
I'm glad some people understand this issue. Bullets travel like the dickens and people should treat them with all the seriousness of nucleur waste.

The thing is, crime on the perimeter of downtown might as well be in the middle of downtown .... and focusing on imaginary borders does nothing but create false security. This incident is outrageous and everyone should be demanding action. The fact that we're not, only underscores how accustomed we are with this sort of BS. It's all Jersey City and the events that take place in one part, have their nasty implications for the others.

In other words, an a-hole thug with a penchant for armed robbery in Bergen-Laf will contemplate feeding in other less policed areas of the city .... and it happens all the time.

This BS needs to stop.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sateen wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

Sateen wrote:
People who have metal gates on their porches over there. I don't think anyone would call that downtown even if it is technically downtown. I call it Crackton. lovely area

The neighborhood you are thinking of isn't Downtown you are right, it is Lafayette south of Grand with the caged in houses. The only places to live on that side of the turnpike that is 07302 besides Booker T and New Houses is this little tree lined community north of Montgomery that doesn't have gates on there porches. It looks more like an isolated suburb since it consist of mostly duplexes with driveways and/or garages. The people that live there call it Downtown too. Google map it, that area isn't just the projects and a housing complex it has working class homes that some people forget or don't know exist.

I know where you are talking about and it looks like a ghetto suburb and it is right down the street from the gated porched houses.
That Pathmark Parking lot is ghetto. You have bums peeing next to your car, knocking on your car windows, having bbq's in trash cans. lovely area. it is the edge of downtown. i can bet you when you call for delivery they aren't considering that downtown

Actually the gated porches are six long blocks away. The area I am speaking of is closer to Dixon Mills and Newark ave then it is to those homes. The gated porch homes start on Pacific ave behind where Lafayette projects used to be.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yahoo wrote:
Because the force field that separates the field from downtown proper protects the downtown residents from the spillover violence and prevents stray bullets from hitting anyone in that section.

That is the point I am trying to make. You have some (not all) that think if a crime did not happen next to a condo or brownstone it is not a concern in their neighborhood.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 17:02

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/5 19:45
Group:
Banned
ROFL. Thank you for getting it, Yahoo.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 16:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/12 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Because the force field that separates the field from downtown proper protects the downtown residents from the spillover violence and prevents stray bullets from hitting anyone in that section.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 16:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/30 18:45
From Downtown JC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

Sateen wrote:
People who have metal gates on their porches over there. I don't think anyone would call that downtown even if it is technically downtown. I call it Crackton. lovely area

The neighborhood you are thinking of isn't Downtown you are right, it is Lafayette south of Grand with the caged in houses. The only places to live on that side of the turnpike that is 07302 besides Booker T and New Houses is this little tree lined community north of Montgomery that doesn't have gates on there porches. It looks more like an isolated suburb since it consist of mostly duplexes with driveways and/or garages. The people that live there call it Downtown too. Google map it, that area isn't just the projects and a housing complex it has working class homes that some people forget or don't know exist.

I know where you are talking about and it looks like a ghetto suburb and it is right down the street from the gated porched houses.
That Pathmark Parking lot is ghetto. You have bums peeing next to your car, knocking on your car windows, having bbq's in trash cans. lovely area. it is the edge of downtown. i can bet you when you call for delivery they aren't considering that downtown

Posted on: 2009/4/23 16:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/5 19:45
Group:
Banned
Isn't this field literally across the street and one block away from the Pathmark shopping center?

Why is it so much more important to people to talk about whether it is or isn't downtown (if it's not it's one block away)?

Posted on: 2009/4/23 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sateen wrote:

Posted on: 2009/4/23 14:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/12 9:14
From Jersey City,nj
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sateen wrote:
Quote:

jcecker wrote:
No matter where this occurred, the point is that it's sad that kids had to experience this.

Well that is true. I wouldn't let my kids play in that field tho

I hear you but there are only so many fields open at one time so they have to play somewhere.It would be a shame to just give up the whole field.I guess it is a individual choice.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 0:30

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown JC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcecker wrote:
No matter where this occurred, the point is that it's sad that kids had to experience this.

Well that is true. I wouldn't let my kids play in that field tho

Posted on: 2009/4/22 11:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/12 9:14
From Jersey City,nj
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/4/22 3:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
wibbit, not sure what your problem is, but crime is a serious issue and this is what this section is all about..So however we can get citizen's attention and hopefully build a forum, debate whatever it takes for us to make our elected officials do their job and address the crime issue.
I don't hate Healy, just the poor job he is doing as out Mayor.

Posted on: 2009/4/21 19:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JRL wrote:
Elvis, funny how I can point out a fact that rather than address the crime issue our Mayor would take the easy way out and relocate the little leaguers. Why don't you say something of sense...I'm not shrilling for anyone...I'm not sure which candidate I'm voting for as for me it's between two them and one of them is not Healy.
I did vote for Healy and supported him last time...he fooled us into thinking he would be a good Mayor. Personally I have nothing against, Healy, he is a nice guy, and funny, especially with a few drinks in him..
But a Mayor, where are those promised from last time, more Police on the Street...Lower Taxes to name a couple of promises...same promises again...fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me...

It would be great if you really had something to say, but obviously you can only say your lame ass stuff when someone voices an opinion and is not afraid to hold our elected officials accountable.

Get a life ..Elvis is a thing of the past.

stop turning every god damn thread into a healy debate. Just shut the fk up already, like fingernails on blackboard. If you hate healy so much, then create your own thread and you can reply to it as much as you want but STOP polluting every other thread on this forum.

webmaster, where the hell are you now when you actually should do your job? add a ignore feature or remove this idiot's posts to one thread.

Posted on: 2009/4/21 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Elvis, funny how I can point out a fact that rather than address the crime issue our Mayor would take the easy way out and relocate the little leaguers. Why don't you say something of sense...I'm not shrilling for anyone...I'm not sure which candidate I'm voting for as for me it's between two them and one of them is not Healy.
I did vote for Healy and supported him last time...he fooled us into thinking he would be a good Mayor. Personally I have nothing against, Healy, he is a nice guy, and funny, especially with a few drinks in him..
But a Mayor, where are those promised from last time, more Police on the Street...Lower Taxes to name a couple of promises...same promises again...fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me...

It would be great if you really had something to say, but obviously you can only say your lame ass stuff when someone voices an opinion and is not afraid to hold our elected officials accountable.

Get a life ..Elvis is a thing of the past.

Posted on: 2009/4/21 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elvis wrote:
Hey everyone,

Maybe we shouldn't vote for Healy because JRL said so! Give it a rest buddy, nobody here cares what you have to say. They see you for the shill that you are. Go AWAY.

But Elvis, what if JRL is right? Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. No matter how one tries to creatively define the borders of "downtown" and create an aesthetic construct of what that word means, the area in question is quite near all sorts of homes, businesses and schools that are very much a part of "downtown."

If we extrapolate the Healy approach to its logical/ridiculous conclusion, would we relocate all the potential victims of crime in the rough parts of the city and cram them into the area south and/or east of the turnpike???

Posted on: 2009/4/21 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
Hey everyone,

Maybe we shouldn't vote for Healy because JRL said so! Give it a rest buddy, nobody here cares what you have to say. They see you for the shill that you are. Go AWAY.

Posted on: 2009/4/21 14:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So Mayor Jerramiah Healy said he'll help the Little Leaguers relocate. Well they would not have to be relocated if Violent Crime was really down. Why in the hell don't Healy handle the crime issue. If not for an election year he would have no interest in the little leaguers.

I guess Healy is taking the easy way out, rather than address the true issue, the crime and shootings, relocate the little leaguers. I guess that is just more change we can see!

Posted on: 2009/4/21 13:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown JC
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/4/21 13:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
Crime is down though..according to Healy. Don't you all feel safe? I think the Mayor should have to stay in the most violent parts of the city for a few nights, I think you'd see a different attitude. The mayor of Newark did it didn't he?
Also, that area is definitely not downtown, I don't know what it's officially called but I call it the other side of the Highway where I don't ever wanna be and wish would go away, and I know i'll get criticism on that comment but I don't care because that's how it is!

Its officially called Downtown! Downtown is called Downtown because it is down the hill from most of Jersey City. That area has the same zipcode, ward, police precinct and school zone as the rest of Downtown. If its because its on the other side of the Turnpike would that mean if the bridges of the embankment was still up you wouldnt consider everything east of it Downtown?

Sorry I couldn't help notice your unconventional used of the word was, I think you meant "were". The embankment runs East and West, I think here you meant to say North? East of the embankment would be Newport.
I'm not familiar with "Chilltown" where is this place you speak of?

I like how people try to be sarcastic or correct grammar when they don't have a decent response. I didn't know this forum was secretly a test on grammar. Saying East was a mistake on my part but regardless you understood what I meant to say. When the bridge was up for the embankment in the 90s would you have not considered the section to the North of it as Downtown? I say this because walking under a bridge or turnpike doesn't change the borders of the neighborhoods of this city.

Downtown is the name for the neighborhood down the hill from most of the city. I also know you are being sarcastic again but Chilltown is the nick name of this city and has been for about 30 years.

Sorry I thought you were using ebonics and I was just trying to help you.

Posted on: 2009/4/21 12:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

regulator wrote:
east of the embankment is newport.... which is still a part of downtown.

the area in question is one in limbo between mcginley square and downtown. id say it's closer to downtown though.

chilltown is a nickname for jersey city (much like brick city is a nickname for newark)

I know it is I meant to say North. My point is that area is and always was Downtown some of the newer residents that don't want there neighborhood to be associated with the Booker T projects and New Houses (housing complex near Booker T) like to say it isn't Downtown. The same people usually try and say the same thing about the area around Holland Gardens. I bet if these areas were bulldozed and were packed with condos or brownstones they would all of a sudden be considered Downtown again.

i know, i was agreeing with your comment

Posted on: 2009/4/21 11:32

Clemente Little League asking for new location -- Healy said he'd help the Little Leaguers relocate.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
SHOTS AS KIDS PLAY
Clemente Little League asking new location

Tuesday, April 21, 2009
By CHARLES HACK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Instead of "Batter Up," it was "Everybody get down!" as gun shots rang out on Bright Street near Gateway Field in Jersey City last Thursday and coaches threw themselves on top of terrified Little Leaguers to provide cover.

"Parents are fed up and are saying enough is enough," Danny Rivera, president of the Roberto Clemente Little League, said yesterday. "They don't want their kids playing in the area."

Luckily, none of the 25 youths, ages 7 to 14, practicing on the field at the corner of Merseles and Bright streets at around 6 p.m. was harmed, but Rivera said he's instructed coaches to suspend playing at the field and plans to meet with city officials to find a safer location.

No shell casings were found on the field, but several from a .45-caliber handgun were found about a half block away at a driveway in front of 272 Bright St., said Police Lt. Edgar Martinez.

No arrests have been made in the shooting and no injuries reported, police officials said.

One coach told The Jersey Journal he was standing on the mound Thursday surrounded by about 10 players when he heard a pop that he thought was a firecracker.

He then heard what he realized were multiple gunshots and began screaming at the kids to drop to the ground. He said some people took shelter behind the dugout, and he heard other adults yelling at the kids to get down.

"I was terrified," the coach said. "It is one thing to help yourself, but when you've got 10 kids you are looking out for it is terrifying.

An unoccupied silver Honda parked on Bright Street had two shots fired into its rear bumper and the tires were shot out of a white Bronco that was also parked and unoccupied, police said.

Mayor Jerramiah Healy said he'll help the Little Leaguers relocate.

"If Mr. Rivera would like to meet regarding the Little League and their playing location, we would be happy to do so," Healy said. "It is our obligation to ensure that our children have as a safe a location as possible when engaging in recreational pursuits."

Posted on: 2009/4/21 9:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

regulator wrote:

the area in question is one in limbo between mcginley square and downtown. id say it's closer to downtown though.

chilltown is a nickname for jersey city (much like brick city is a nickname for newark)

I know it is I meant to say North. My point is that area is and always was Downtown some of the newer residents that don't want there neighborhood to be associated with the Booker T projects and New Houses (housing complex near Booker T) like to say it isn't Downtown. The same people usually try and say the same thing about the area around Holland Gardens. I bet if these areas were bulldozed and were packed with condos or brownstones they would all of a sudden be considered Downtown again.

Posted on: 2009/4/21 5:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
Crime is down though..according to Healy. Don't you all feel safe? I think the Mayor should have to stay in the most violent parts of the city for a few nights, I think you'd see a different attitude. The mayor of Newark did it didn't he?
Also, that area is definitely not downtown, I don't know what it's officially called but I call it the other side of the Highway where I don't ever wanna be and wish would go away, and I know i'll get criticism on that comment but I don't care because that's how it is!

Its officially called Downtown! Downtown is called Downtown because it is down the hill from most of Jersey City. That area has the same zipcode, ward, police precinct and school zone as the rest of Downtown. If its because its on the other side of the Turnpike would that mean if the bridges of the embankment was still up you wouldnt consider everything east of it Downtown?

Sorry I couldn't help notice your unconventional used of the word was, I think you meant "were". The embankment runs East and West, I think here you meant to say North? East of the embankment would be Newport.

I like how people try to be sarcastic or correct grammar when they don't have a decent response. I didn't know this forum was secretly a test on grammar. Saying East was a mistake on my part but regardless you understood what I meant to say. When the bridge was up for the embankment in the 90s would you have not considered the section to the North of it as Downtown? I say this because walking under a bridge or turnpike doesn't change the borders of the neighborhoods of this city.

Downtown is the name for the neighborhood down the hill from most of the city. I also know you are being sarcastic again but Chilltown is the nick name of this city and has been for about 30 years.

Posted on: 2009/4/21 5:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/4/21 4:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:

Posted on: 2009/4/21 2:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

regulator wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
I think the Mayor should have to stay in the most violent parts of the city for a few nights, I think you'd see a different attitude. The mayor of Newark did it didn't he?

Corey Booker like Bloomberg has come out for Healy!

Booker said he was living in the housing projects -- it is in the documentary "Street Fight" -- but I am not sure how "real" those kind of stunts really are.

It's not like he lived there with no protection for years... I really doubt he was coming and going to his home in the Projects at all hours of the day and night - ALONE.

Maybe he did - but I know I wouldn't do it!

(The film does assert he did it all alone so who knows - I am sure Sharpe James' police sure weren't watching out for him! )

A Chicago mayor did the same media stunt and there were always an army of cops camped out in front.

im pretty sure booker living in the projects was more than a stunt.. i think he lived there for awhile even after winning the election

Don't get me wrong - I like Corey Booker - I just find it very hard to imagine that he lived in Brick Towers day in and day out - alone for 8 years - coming and going at all hours.

But I could well be wrong!

BTW: Wiki agrees with you -- "From 1998 to 2006, he lived in Brick Towers, a notorious public housing project in Newark's Central Ward. Booker organized tenants there to fight for improved conditions. In November 2006, Booker left his apartment for the top unit in a three-story rental on Hawthorne Avenue on Newark's south side, an area described as "a drug- and gang-plagued neighborhood of boarded-up houses and empty lots."

Posted on: 2009/4/21 2:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Won't it be great when the election is over and all these trolls go away for 4 more years.

Not saying you are one - but it gets really old!

Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
I think the Mayor should have to stay in the most violent parts of the city for a few nights, I think you'd see a different attitude. The mayor of Newark did it didn't he?

Booker said he was living in the housing projects -- it is in the documentary "Street Fight" -- but I am not sure how "real" those kind of stunts really are.

It's not like he lived there with no protection for years... I really doubt he was coming and going to his home in the Projects at all hours of the day and night - ALONE.

(The film does assert he did it all alone so who knows - I am sure Sharpe James' police sure weren't watching out for him! )

A Chicago mayor did the same media stunt and there were always an army of cops camped out in front.

im pretty sure booker living in the projects was more than a stunt.. i think he lived there for awhile even after winning the election

Posted on: 2009/4/21 1:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:

Posted on: 2009/4/21 0:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Won't it be great when the election is over and all these trolls go away for 4 more years.

Not saying you are one - but it gets really old!

Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:

Posted on: 2009/4/21 0:31

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017