Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: What would you do with the Powerhouse???
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/2 3:18
Group:
Registered Users
Anybody know how Beyer Blinder Belle was awarded the contract? Looking at the Jersey City Public Contracts, there is nothing about it. http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/pub-contracts.aspx

I like BBB and think they are the right group for this project but I worry about the construction getting awarded to a shady outfit.

Posted on: 2009/6/18 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

If Jersey City were to be covered by well-conceived mural, our city could become a real cultural destination.

I love this idea! We could cover the city with a mural. Maybe the mural could be of San Francisco or Seattle - places with stunning natural beauty and cultural attractions... We could also put up cardboard figures of the politicians we wish we had. Maybe we'd have holograms of the new PATH cars and longer trains. The possibilities are endless!!

Posted on: 2009/6/18 14:07

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/9 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Restore it and open a museum. The building is a piece of history!

Posted on: 2009/6/18 4:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
It could rival the Louvre or even Verasilles. Gosh, the Metropolitan and MOMA would be shaking in their boots if Jeresy City got yet ANOTHER world class museum. With roof plantings it could rival the HANGING GARDENS OF BABYLON.

Hey, why not gove it to Kodak who can make Science Museum 2 that can be on the public dole for the rst of its useless life.

It's a falling down pile of bricks, get over it. It WILL be bulldozed becasue that's what happens to unstable neglected powerhouses. Why do you think PATH moved OUT and put transformers outside?

Oh, anyone who wants INDUSTRIAL living should be living in NEWARK or Patterson. Someone looking for INDUSTRIAL is WAY misplaced living on the Jersey City Waterfront amid new construction and skyscraper housing where there is NO industrial, NONE, NADA.
FAKE industrial is NOT industrial just becasue you can walk by some pile of detritus and say "isn't that CUTE?"

Remediation as a park?
Would it be much harder than remediating Newport land, the Roseland properties, or the Trump location? It's not a huge parcel after all. I think a pocket park would be a nice addition amid the compact housing. It seems to be the one amenity that has been terribly overlooked in the waterfront overdevelopment. Certainly makes more sense than running a ribbon of a preposterously narrow park (The Embankment) up in the air with bridgettes connecting block by block. That's the dumbest idea since the Iraq invasion!

Posted on: 2009/6/17 14:10

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/11 16:39
Group:
Registered Users
I agree. From the outside, the museum is not inviting. The physical structure is imposing, and resembles a parking garage. It's a shame. The exhibitions inside the museum are superb.

Well-designed murals would help to enhance its visibility and may help create a sense of warmth and invitation.

Posted on: 2009/6/16 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
shanty: fair enough and completely correct.

However, there are other architectural treatments that could have been done with that building (the JC museum) that would have made it more inviting than what was done.

Posted on: 2009/6/16 16:25

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This comment is in response to icechute. The mission of a museum is to preserve and collective artwork and antiquities. The reason why Jersey City Museum does not have windows is too protect artwork. Sunlight does more damage to artwork than anything else (except maybe water or fire). The less natural or artificial light to which a work is exposed, the better. Even windows protected by UVA/UVB filters are not good for prolonged exposure.

Temperature and humidity are both strictly controlled because artworks expand and contract with temperature and humidity fluctuations. This means that things can wrinkle, flake, buckle and otherwise get damaged when temperature and humidity are either too high or too low.

I do think murals could enhance the fa?ade of Jersey City Museum. This issue needs to be brought to the attention of the City, and to businesses along the Gold Coast. Philadelphia and Pittsburgh have tremendous mural projects in their cities. If Jersey City were to be covered by well-conceived mural, our city could become a real cultural destination.

Posted on: 2009/6/16 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
As the building is set-up, it is a natural for a major museum.

You could have the huge, skylit atrium in the middle with seating, sculpture, etc. The huge windows would flood the space with daylight and it would glow at night. (Unlike the JC Museum on Monmouth, you could actually see inside.)

On the north side of the atrium, where the floor area is smaller in square footage than on the south side, you could stack up the 'service' functions of the museum: cafe, store, offices, lecture halls, etc. Parts of the cafe seating would spill out onto the atrium floor....

The south side would be the stack of galleries, all entered from walkways along the side wall of the atrium.

As a museum, the building designs itself.

Of course this will never happen, but it is a great use of this great old building

Posted on: 2009/6/15 13:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Xerxes wrote: Bull-Doze the falling apart monstrosity...clear the lot and make a park. Cheap and useful to all who live nearby.
You should move. You obviously detest towns that were once industrial. You want to tear down the Embankment to turn it into housing, because you consider it blight. But you want to tear down the Powerhouse to turn it into a park, because you consider it blight. From this thread ( http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... id=194461#forumpost194461 ), I repeat: You look at a building, and, just by looking at it, you know it's inherent value in that role at that time, and forever into the future for all possible roles and all possible times. ... You did not answer whether you think these properties can be "saved" for a use you consider a productive, beneficial use, so we can only speculate as to what a good purpose is for you, the Emperor of Persia and Preservation. A good preservationist is one preserves what His Highness wants preserved because it serves "a real purpose." Apparently, preservation cannot be for it's own sake. Only for a modern, purposive sake. If something loses it's purpose, and is in your view unsightly or geographically divisive, it should be torn down before any non-purposive use, as only you deem them to be, can be considered for the site. For you, it seems there is no system, purpose, or focused endeavor. As do others, you simply envision a tornado of destruction which de-blights and pacifies. I tend not to care much about what other people think, but the narrow simplicity of your viewpoint, as I understand it, is frustrating. But, more importantly: are you employed by the Mayor, the Council, the County, JC Bus. Dev., the HDCO, etc? If not, then I know your view will never prevail, though a marginally less frustrating view may.

Posted on: 2009/6/15 4:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/6 11:43
From Historic Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Bull-Doze the falling apart monstrosity...clear the lot and make a park. Cheap and useful to all who live nearby.

+1
But I suspect the environmental cleanup will take quite some time.

Posted on: 2009/6/14 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Bull-Doze the falling apart monstrosity...clear the lot and make a park. Cheap and useful to all who live nearby.

Posted on: 2009/6/14 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shantyirish wrote:
PRO ARTS runs the tour. They destroy this city's creative chi.

That's heavy. I'm not sure what they do, to be honest. Maybe just hanging out in the background like a woolly mammoth?

Posted on: 2009/6/13 22:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 20:09
Group:
Banned
I'm just curious as to how you may know what the people living in the Trump building think of the Powerhouse building?

Quote:

stagnantartist wrote:
You know the people living in Trump Tower are just disgusted by it!

[/quote]

Also, what do you mean by an "artist space", bearing in mind that it would cost someone, probably a developer a lot of money to refurbish and or restore it to the degree you describe?

Posted on: 2009/6/13 21:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/4 14:25
Group:
Registered Users
I had heard the same thing. I love that building. I love everything about it and I love even more that it is this beautiful eyesore for those living around it. You know the people living in Trump Tower are just disgusted by it!

I would love for it to keep it's look, but yet obviously fix it up so there are no holes in the side. Fix it up to what it looked like back in the day. Make it an artist space. We have enough "luxury condos" that are sitting around empty, we have enough empty storefronts along Newark Ave, so I think it should be brought back to the people that were brave enough to go to that area daily to make their art when that area wasn't as desirable as it is today.

Quote:

nightgownposse wrote:
I thought that the same company that renovated the powerhouse in Baltimore were also doing the one in JC. Is this not happening anymore?

http://www.jclandmarks.org/campaign-powerhouse.shtml

Posted on: 2009/6/13 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a bit confused - the stabilization project will be done by October but "all renovations" won't be complete until 2013. If the building's structural problems will be fixed by October, why would it take a private investor until 2013 to finish "renovations"? Perhaps they are counting on the city to give them a fully renovated retail space?

Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Further step toward 'Powerhouse' neighborhood in JC
[snip}

The stabilization project is set to include replacing the windows and roof, as well as installing new drainage systems to mitigate any further deterioration of the structure. The stabilization process is anticipated to take three to five months. The process will start this month and will be completed by October.

By 2013, when all the renovations are complete, the Powerhouse is expected to be a retail and entertainment showpiece of the Powerhouse Arts Entertainment District, offering modern facilities and infrastructure to consumers and commercial tenants. The $90 million development will feature 180,000 square feet across five floors, filled with galleries, restaurants, and offices.

Posted on: 2009/6/13 3:25

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
PRO ARTS runs the tour. They destroy this city's creative chi.

Posted on: 2009/6/13 3:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

There will be no more Artist Studio tour at Canco. this city needs to stop relying on other land owners to create this point of destination and stick to the plan.

Why did that happen anyway? Terrible idea. Who runs the tour, and what were they thinking?

Posted on: 2009/6/13 3:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 20:09
Group:
Banned
I often thought it would make for a great big gay dance club, wherein your suggestion could be appropriately incorporated.

Quote:

MikeZ wrote:
S&M Dungeon

Posted on: 2009/6/13 1:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/19 20:14
Group:
Registered Users
snapple wrote

I wish they\'d hurry up with this project (and address that empty lot across Washington).

For those of you new to the area, this Empty lot was home to the BIGGEST art community in the state and was the inspiration for the entire concept for the district and the name \"Powerhouse Arts District\" until our new mayor allowed the developer to evict all the artist and demolish 2 huge HISTORIC buildings 110- 111 1st street. Learn more about the arts district we HAD. www.111first.org

There will be no more Artist Studio tour at Canco. this city needs to stop relying on other land owners to create this point of destination and stick to the plan. Use the powerhouse for Art and Music and create the entertainment district this growing city NEEDS!

Posted on: 2009/6/12 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
still a library

Posted on: 2009/6/12 16:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/5 15:16
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
S&M Dungeon

Posted on: 2009/6/12 15:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/14 13:52
Group:
Registered Users
Its funny that you mention the eye sore that is Washington after the A building to Trump. I was driving with a few friends on Wednesday through Newport South heading towards Columbus, and before I could explain the mess on Washington, my one friend mentioned that it looked like a annilated Beriut, between the stall projects on First and Washington, the trash/weeds/etc from the Powerhouse to the moon driving experience on the unpaved Washington.

Pretty embarrassing actually.

Posted on: 2009/6/12 15:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/13 3:14
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I wish they'd hurry up with this project (and address that empty lot across Washington). The combination of those two eye-soars makes that neighborhood look horrible. I try to avoid that route when I have guests in from out of town. Too bad because it has potential to be such a nice area. Sounds like the politics of JC have completely encompassed the neighborhood with red tape. It's a shame really. I bet the residents of the Trump bldg aren't too thrilled with the progress either!

Posted on: 2009/6/12 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Further step toward 'Powerhouse' neighborhood in JC

Ricardo Kaulessar
Hudson Reporter

A POWERHOUSE OF A PROJECT - (From left to right) Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy, Jersey City Redevelopment Agency Executive Director Robert Antonicello, Port Authority Deputy Executive Director Susan Bass Levin and Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy founder John Gomez were on hand for the kick-off of the stabilization of the historic Hudson and Manhattan Powerhouse on Thursday.

Mayor Jerramiah Healy, officials from Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, and other city officials were on hand for the kick-off of the stabilization of the historic Hudson and Manhattan Powerhouse on Thursday.

The Powerhouse at Washington Boulevard and First Street was once the power station for the Hudson and Manhattan Railroad, which opened for business in 1908 and closed in 1929.

The stabilization project is set to include replacing the windows and roof, as well as installing new drainage systems to mitigate any further deterioration of the structure. The stabilization process is anticipated to take three to five months. The process will start this month and will be completed by October.

By 2013, when all the renovations are complete, the Powerhouse is expected to be a retail and entertainment showpiece of the Powerhouse Arts Entertainment District, offering modern facilities and infrastructure to consumers and commercial tenants. The $90 million development will feature 180,000 square feet across five floors, filled with galleries, restaurants, and offices.

The Cordish Companies, a Baltimore-based retail and entertainment developer, is the designated developer for the site. link with photos

Posted on: 2009/6/12 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
It'd be nice to see it stay given it's architectural history. Again tho, given the horrendous condition it's in, good luck getting anything done with it. Wouldn't be surprised if people sat on their hands long enough for it to fall down on its own.

Posted on: 2009/4/16 8:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/29 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
Well...the Powerhouse is a landmarked building, so legally the facade has to be restored and protected. Plus it's a gorgeous piece of history- so no knocking it down!

The indoor farmers market is a neat idea- Milwaukee, WI has one (the Milwaukee Public Market) and it's become a great destination.

As an artist I'd love to see galleries, artist studio space, rentable recording/photo studios, community education art courses, even a big art supply store in there (frustrating Hudson County Art is so small!).

Posted on: 2009/4/15 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Tear it down and build! a basketball court!

That's close - how about a Chelsea-Piers type of sporting venue?

Posted on: 2009/4/13 17:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/12 9:14
From Jersey City,nj
Group:
Registered Users
I like the idea of a library suggested in post 9.Not a ordinary
municipal type public library but a something like a specialty library/training facility offering study on finance,law,medicine,engineering and other professional fields.The location to transportation is ideal.Maybe the nearby financial firms would support it by leasing/renting space for training/conventions.

Posted on: 2009/4/12 4:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Or, how about turning part of it into a community center, call it the Powerhouse Community Center, just like in that short-lived PBS show from 1982 that was called "Powerhouse" ? It was a show about a woman had turned her father's old gym into a community center and called it just that. The show had a cast that was the perfect tossed salad of ethnicities (black, white, hispanic & jewish I think), they were the kids who regularly hung out at the center. The show had a good storyline, with each episode dealing with a lot of different social and nutritional issues, and sometimes the kids would become amateur detectives when they had to solve some sort of mystery about something occuring at or concerning the community center.

Anybody remember that show? It was great!

Sorry if anyone else finds this boring, I just had to post this when I saw the word "Powerhouse" !

Posted on: 2009/4/12 3:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
What about turning it over to a NYC or better a NJ University (say Princeton, Rutgers or even NJCU)

It would be great if the Powerhouse ended up something like the Brooklyn Academy of Music / BAM - (The Loews Theater and outside events at Liberty State Park could also easily be tossed into the mix) Talk about shovel ready!

http://www.bam.org

"...BAM is a long-standing cultural anchor of New York, particularly Brooklyn. Uniquely situated in the tight-knit neighborhood of Fort Greene, in the heart of Downtown Brooklyn, BAM?believing a rising tide lifts all boats?understands that institution building goes hand in hand with community development.

This special obligation to community is realized through BAM?s commitment to serving neighborhood constituencies; rooting itself deeply in the community; reflecting the neighborhood?s unique identity and character; and nurturing a borough teeming with local artistic talent. A central core value is our dedication to neighborhood revitalization, diversity, education, and outreach."

Posted on: 2009/4/11 13:25

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017