Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Tourists still want to visit Manhattan, but don't want to pay Manhattan prices
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

SammyTheT wrote:
JadedJC wrote:
I've always wondered if the Holland Motor Lodge was one of those places that offered hourly rates for rooms...

YES, it is - and very lucrative.

I think it USED to be all about that. Remember the motel storyline on The Sopranos? It always made me think of the Holland Motor Lodge.

But I think that the recent renovations marks a strategic shift in marketing! I see tourist families milling about all the time.

Here's how they position themselves -- very tourist-friendly.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 21:14

Re: Tourists still want to visit Manhattan, but don't want to pay Manhattan prices
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/16 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
JadedJC wrote:
I've always wondered if the Holland Motor Lodge was one of those places that offered hourly rates for rooms...

YES, it is - and very lucrative.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 20:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/4 15:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Bill LaRosa, director of cultural affairs and tourism in Hudson County, added: "A strong New York economy is good for us and even a weak New York economy is good for us because then we become valuable." He noted Hudson collects roughly $2 billion a year from tourism.

I am sorry, this is just simply non-sensical. It is either the case that he current Manhattan economic climate is at a local minimum for Hudson county (unlikely), or that he is spouting feel good bull (likely). I have a hard time believing that bad times for Manhattan are good times for Hudson county. The hotels in Manhattan can just lower their prices, and since they are still more desirable than Hoboken or JC, this will force the hotels in Hudson county to lower their prices to compete.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:

I'd put money on it.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/2/23 19:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 15:56
Group:
Banned
The Westin is a great addition the only hotel in JC that is comparable is the Hyatt, and that often times is booked to the gills. It also appears that the Hyatt's rate has gone down a bit, they appear very reasonable.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
the funny part is holland motor lodge used to be the #1 rated hotel in jc on tripadvisor.com . not sure if it's actually that good for the money, or if the owners are hijacking a few tripadvisor reviews. i usually just recommend people stay at one of the ones closer to newport instead

Posted on: 2009/2/23 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Having seen groups of tourists wandering around the neighborhood of the Holland Motor Lodge, I believe this.

And by "neighborhood" I mean Holland Tunnel.

I wonder if they are bummed when they get there? Like they think it's gonna be really great -- so close to the city! so convenient! so cheap! -- and then it's the tunnel entrance. Which they can't even walk through.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 16:52

Tourists still want to visit Manhattan, but don't want to pay Manhattan prices
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Hudson hotels have an eye for NY biz

Monday, February 23, 2009
By LISA ZIMMERMANN
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Hudson County's hotel industry is bucking the economic trend and remains cautiously optimistic - witness the opening of two new waterfront hotels.

The Westin Jersey City Newport opened last month and the W Hoboken is scheduled to open in March.

The key to the Hudson's hotel allure: Tourists still want to visit Manhattan, but don't want to pay Manhattan prices, officials said.

"The things that bring us along in the good time - that people want to be in Manhattan - also keep us more stable in the rough times," said Ron Simoncini, a spokesman for the Meadowlands Liberty Convention and Visitors Bureau.

Bill LaRosa, director of cultural affairs and tourism in Hudson County, added: "A strong New York economy is good for us and even a weak New York economy is good for us because then we become valuable." He noted Hudson collects roughly $2 billion a year from tourism.

Bob McIntosh, director of marketing for the Westin Jersey City Newport, said the Westin booked all of its 429 rooms Valentine's Day weekend. With more hotel rooms available on the Jersey side of the Hudson, prices are lower, and "there's an inherit curiosity" on the part of tourists "to try a new product," he said.

There's been a slight downturn in businesses holding off-site retreats and meetings, LaRosa said. "They are cutting back on things that are not priorities," he said.

Nonetheless, Hudson hotels, which total more than 4,000 rooms, are maintaining a daily occupancy rate of 80 to 85 percent; much higher than the national average of 65 percent, he said.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 15:07

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017