Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JCBOE hikes school taxes by 39 percent. Paging Yvonne.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Ralph_Abutts wrote:
And despite a big drop in revenue, the BoE is increasing its spending with this year's forthcoming budget. Tone deaf to a fault.

That sounds like sound fundamental democratic thought.

Posted on: 2020/5/20 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/10 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
And despite a big drop in revenue, the BoE is increasing its spending with this year's forthcoming budget. Tone deaf to a fault.

Posted on: 2020/5/19 23:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Ralph_Abutts wrote:
The best way to learn about special ed costs is not the budget, but from the BoE resolutions and meeting agenda/minutes. They are rich with detail if you have the patience to search.

That's just it, I don't want to have to be fucking Sherlock Holmes to understand where the money goes! Special Ed gets thrown around frequently as a reason (along with ESL) you can't compare urban and suburban districts. How convenient then that you can't even find out what we spend on it! This is the stuff that makes my default judgement of all JC governmental arms to be that they're criminal enterprises. They aspire to be like the DoD, declared 'unauditable', just walk away and leave them to make our money vanish.

Posted on: 2020/5/16 3:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The user friendly budget is an abbreviated budget format. Special ed spending should be foumd in the unabridged budget. I did not notice if it is made available om their website.

I cited the user friendly budget because it has the spending per student. The numbers in the budget are understated. I recall #s that were in the low $20k per student in JC from a decade ago. There was a lot of political blowback on the Christie adminstration to NOT include fringe benefits like pension costs in the school district reporting (state wide) for per student spending. Evidently the NJ Dept of Ed caved in.

As for Special Ed spending, that is difficult to track. There is a lot of horse trading among school districts and charter schools. One may send a student to another that specializes on that particular learning disability and vice versa.

I do recall quite a lot of variability in the cost of special education services, too. It can cost from $20k to $100k per special needs student depending on their educational needs. That also does not include transporting the student out to an out of district school.

The best way to learn about special ed costs is not the budget, but from the BoE resolutions and meeting agenda/minutes. They are rich with detail if you have the patience to search.

Posted on: 2020/5/15 23:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
That was my point. With more building came more revenue that was mismanaged.

Yes, I'm sure that years of school over subsidization by the state, forcing Murphy to finally reconfigure the Abbott District formula to force Jersey City to pay its fair share in taxes going forward had nothing to do with the increase. It's development fault.

Maybe if we were still a ghetto like the 1980s, Murphy would have been justified in keeping the previous formula in place.

All this is pre-COVID so tax increases should be getting even more wild down the road.

Increase in funding does not equal a better education. I also shake my head when I see parents cheer for it. They've been bamboozled! I think Camden spends $100,000 per student head and no one would say they have the results to show for it. How other states can provide a quality education for a fraction of that but it remains a challenge in New Jersey, I will never know. I really wish they just consolidated all 600+ schools boards into one for each county. That might help control administrative costs. Until then, it's up up and away in taxes.[/quote]

Posted on: 2020/5/15 18:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/25 19:36
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Secondly, no one living in a tax abatement building will see an increase nor someone living in rent control since their increase are based on the rent leveling board of one to four percent.

A JC rent control increase has not been 4% since Feb 2009.
It has not reached 3% since Feb 2012
July 2020 is 1.1%

The City is calling this a rent crisis.

Posted on: 2020/5/15 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Ralph_Abutts wrote:
On the school district website you may find such information in its User Friendly Budget document. There is also a 2019 operational efficiency audit document, too.

The last time I dove into the "User Friendly Budget" I found line items which Google could not define! So much for 'User Friendly'. IIRC, I was curious what we actually spent on special ed, often a bone of contention between JC and charters or other less urban districts. Couldn't be done by an untrained civilian, the cost was distributed too widely.

Posted on: 2020/5/14 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
On the school district website you may find such information in its User Friendly Budget document. There is also a 2019 operational efficiency audit document, too.

Posted on: 2020/5/14 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If you look at the total spending per student in the JC school district, it is one of the highest in the state. The NJS DoEd provides such infornation on their website. Look at their school report card database. You may see where the school district outspend others in areas like janitorial, building maintenance, etc.

Posted on: 2020/5/14 12:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, JC Guys, tax abatements go before the city council all the time, (transfer to another owner, time extension, the ability to deduct water from city's payment, etc.) The city could change the abatement terms that time. One came before the city council last week and the council just grant them want they wanted.

Posted on: 2020/5/14 1:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Spend a fraction of that money on forensic accountants and find out where the money goes and why JC spends more than anybody. If it turns out it all goes to overpaid staff from principals to janitors, and overpaid sweetheart contracts to 'connected' services, declare bankruptcy and renegotiate every.single. contract.

Posted on: 2020/5/13 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
JC taxpayers pay such a tiny percentage of the school budget it shouldn?t be much. And JC residents will still be umdertaxed by NJ standards, by the tax assessment per $100,000 of home value.

Exactly. We still contribute far less than other areas in New Jersey.

Posted on: 2020/5/13 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
First, there are 55,000 other taxpayers in JC besides [me]

Agreed, that there are other taxpayers than just you. I suspect most working residents of Jersey City pay some form of tax. On the issue of education property taxes, I agree that 55,000 property owners paying property taxes sounds about right.

Quote:
but apparently, it went down from the proposed 47% to 39%, so we have something to be happy about.

I didn't know that. Wow. Why can't JCBOE cut the budget. Why must it always be tax increases? Let's be honest, school funding to JCBOE could double and the student achievement would probably be unchanged.

Quote:
Secondly, no one living in a tax abatement building will see an increase

Agreed. Not until the abatement runs out at least.

Quote:
nor someone living in rent control since their increase are based on the rent leveling board of one to four percent.

Agreed.

Quote:
So this is an unfair tax increase since it only affects one group of citizens in JC.

Partially agreed. Before the reval, poor areas of Jersey City subsidized the wealthier areas. Before the change in school funding formula, suburban areas of New Jersey subsidized Jersey City schools. It could be said now that Jersey City residents are finally paying their fair share for the schools.

Quote:
Then you have the fact the Councilman Solomon froze rents including 2 to 4 families, excluding owner occupied during this 39% increase. The frozen rents stops in August but I am sure Solomon will want an extension.

Agreed.

Posted on: 2020/5/13 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
First, there are 55,000 other taxpayers in JC besides, but apparently, it went down from the proposed 47% to 39%, so we have something to be happy about. Secondly, no one living in a tax abatement building will see an increase nor someone living in rent control since their increase are based on the rent leveling board of one to four percent. So this is an unfair tax increase since it only affects one group of citizens in JC. Then you have the fact the Councilman Solomon froze rents including 2 to 4 families, excluding owner occupied during this 39% increase. The frozen rents stops in August but I am sure Solomon will want an extension.

Posted on: 2020/5/13 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
JC taxpayers pay such a tiny percentage of the school budget it shouldn?t be much. And JC residents will still be umdertaxed by NJ standards, by the tax assessment per $100,000 of home value.

Posted on: 2020/5/13 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:

All this is pre-COVID so tax increases should be getting even more wild down the road.

PERS-State pension is going to run dry in 2023, assuming the State doesn't kick in $$$. With massive payouts for unemployment and a collapse in sale / use tax revenues, I seriously doubt the Murphy & Co. will put any significant $$ in. The numbers were put together before the WuFlu hit, so the actual deficit could be much worse.

I think the Judges pension is even in worse shape.

We could very well see one or more defaults as early as late next year or by 2023 at the latest. That is when the political & tax situation is going to get REAL interesting.

So we could see NJ default on

Posted on: 2020/5/13 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Some help all the building and business increase of the last 20 yrs has done to help keep taxes down.

Yes, I'm sure that years of school over subsidization by the state, forcing Murphy to finally reconfigure the Abbott District formula to force Jersey City to pay its fair share in taxes going forward had nothing to do with the increase. It's development fault.

Maybe if we were still a ghetto like the 1980s, Murphy would have been justified in keeping the previous formula in place.

Increase in funding does not equal a better education. I also shake my head when I see parents cheer for it. They've been bamboozled! I think Camden spends $100,000 per student head and no one would say they have the results to show for it. How other states can provide a quality education for a fraction of that but it remains a challenge in New Jersey, I will never know. I really wish they just consolidated all 600+ schools boards into one for each county. That might help control administrative costs. Until then, it's up up and away in taxes.

Posted on: 2020/5/13 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Yikes!

I am going to have to do some math and figure out the rent increases to cover that. Doing a real rough calc, that is over $3,500 a year for me.

Posted on: 2020/5/13 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Indeed, where were Yvonne and the NAs through all this? How did they allow such a large increase to happen?

Most likely they got too distracted planning how to stop the city from using parking spaces for outdoor dining and excitedly counting the number of failed businesses. No more pesky sidewalk cafes and pedestrian plaza noise when literally every business in the area has collapsed!

Posted on: 2020/5/13 13:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Some help all the building and business increase of the last 20 yrs has done to help keep taxes down.

Posted on: 2020/5/13 4:13

JCBOE hikes school taxes by 39 percent. Paging Yvonne.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
https://hudsoncountyview.com/jersey-ci ... -39-school-tax-levy-hike/

"The Jersey City Board of Education made an unexpected, expedited move to pass a $736 million budget for the 2020-2021 scholastic year that will come with a roughly $53 million tax levy hike, a sizable increase for a district trying to make up for years of state cutbacks."

How much will YOUR taxes go up?

Posted on: 2020/5/13 3:18

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017