Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
134 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: STARBUCKS: HOMELESS SHELTER (Grove)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
"premium table"

Posted on: 2016/11/21 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I really can't think of anything to say to a person who considers Starbucks an "experience". Okay, maybe I'll just chime in with the other people who note that there are an almost ridiculous number of locally-owned coffee shops within a 10-minute walk of Starbucks.

Posted on: 2016/11/21 14:38

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/13 22:03
From see profile name
Group:
Registered Users
This Saturday is Small Business Saturday, but you don't have to wait until then to go to a local coffee shop if you're that upset with Starbucks.

Bar Nine is a few blocks away on Erie, and Dames a few blocks from there. If you're that hell bent on Satrbucks, there's one in the Newport Center and another at Target, or you can just buy some coffee and burn it at home for that signature Starbucks taste.

Posted on: 2016/11/21 6:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
That Starbucks was overrun by the homeless and "office-less" long ago. It was bound to happen, given its location. The place may be overrun but management probably doesn't care, given the steady stream of customers at the register.

Given the numerous other places not too much further from the PATH that I can get a coffee and sit down, I voted with my feet (literally, by walking just a little further). You might as well do the same.

Posted on: 2016/11/21 4:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
How about buying one of those homeless persons a cup of coffee?

Assuming Starbucks management is reading this thread (tenuous assumption, but I'll go with it). Lots of cafes allow customers to buy coffee "on suspension" for someone else. Someone who would like a cup of coffee but can't purchase it can ask if the cafe has any on suspension, and they can get it for free.

http://suspendedcoffees.com/

I LOVE this! TeaNJ does this on Newark Ave. according to the website noted above. Only two other NJ shops are listed.

Tea NJ
Phone: 201-758-7105
262 Newark Avenue, Jersey City, New Jersey

Posted on: 2016/11/21 3:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:

Assuming Starbucks management is reading this thread (tenuous assumption, but I'll go with it). Lots of cafes allow customers to buy coffee "on suspension" for someone else. Someone who would like a cup of coffee but can't purchase it can ask if the cafe has any on suspension, and they can get it for free.

When does it end ? The only thing you accomplish by buying someone a cup of coffee is that they get it for free and Starbucks makes a profit.

A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees. The greatest work that kindness does to others is that it makes them kind themselves.

Amelia Earheart

Posted on: 2016/11/21 2:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:

When does it end ? The only thing you accomplish by buying someone a cup of coffee is that they get it for free and Starbucks makes a profit.

Posted on: 2016/11/21 1:34
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/11/21 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Starbucks is a "progressive" company.

"Progressives" are all about letting the homeless do things like this. Sorry buddy, you knew what you were getting into by patronizing this company. You're not going to win this, and don't deserve to.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 21:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
I think it's pretty annoying to have anyone take up a seat at Starbucks for over an hour (homeless or not). But hey, management isn't blind - if it's happening right in front of them, they're okay with it.

So what can you do other than go elsehwere?

Posted on: 2016/11/20 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MFJC07302 wrote:
Grove Street Starbucks has become a homeless shelter. There are tables and plug outlets being taken up by homeless people that don't buy anything and take up a premium table when paying customers have NO seat to enjoy their "Starbucks" experience, that they are paying for. The manager Dannie and staff has been told and nothing is being done.
If you frequent Starbucks or enjoy our local Starbucks, please comment here and make suggestions to Dannie, the manager and Veronica Park, the district manager.
there are some other great coffee places in dojo. I'm sure they would appreciate it patronage too.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 20:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/15 20:50
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Wow you sound like a coldhearted cun*. Why don't you take your freaking coffee and go back to your nice warm house, car or office, and have a little empathy for those that have no place to go asshat. Lots of Starbucks around the country have started removing the chairs to discourage everyone, even people who have the money to pay for coffee and have a home to not sit and stay for so long.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
PS ? I am with heights I get my 75 cent cup of coffee at a bodega. Can?t beat the atmosphere and you are greeted by the bodega house cat every morning to boot. (hopefully she doesn't have a mouse in her mouth..lol) Life is good.

Some years back, there was a thread here about some people losing their shit over Wonder Bagels and their "house cat". To me, that thread was emblematic of the most common stereotype of gentrifiers and newcomers: they come into new areas for the "authenticity" and "old school feel" and promptly go about changing all of that by expecting/demanding/supporting new businesses that eventually muscle out the "old school", "authentic" places that were their original reason to relocate to the neighborhood. I do like it when I walk into an establishment and there is a house cat, which are often old and mostly cranky.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
How about you get your own damn office and pay for your own internet somewhere else? I'm glad they don't kick out homeless people.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I always thought Starbucks was for young progressives. You would think they would show some compassion and not look down upon the homeless?right?

Interesting piece...

Houston Chronicle: Who Is Starbucks' Target Audience?
by Renee O'Farrell

Adults
Starbucks? primary target market is men and women aged 25 to 40. They account for almost half (49 percent) of its total business. Starbucks? appeal to this consumer age group through hip, contemporary design that is consistent in its advertising and decor, and working to keep its products current as status symbols. Customers tend to be urbanites with relatively high income, professional careers and a focus on social welfare. This target audience grows at a rate of 3 percent annually.

Young Adults
Young adults, aged 18 to 24, total 40 percent of Starbucks? sales. Starbucks positions itself as a place college students can hang out, study, write term papers and meet people. Starbucks appeals to this consumer directly through introducing technology as soon as it comes available, focusing on social networking and actively cultivating a ?cool? image. The young adult audience grows 4.6 percent each year.

Kids and Teens
Kids and teens are also a large part of Starbucks? target audience. Together, customers age 13 to 17 account for just 2 percent of Starbucks? sales, but most items for kids are purchased by the parents. Whether the focus is on the steamed milk that Starbucks? baristas refer to as ?babyccinos? or the sugary, caffeinated, whipped cream topped coffee drinks that are so popular with teenagers, kids and teens form a large part of Starbucks business. Kids go there with their parents; both mother and child leave with cup in hand. Teens meanwhile use Starbucks as a place to hang out with friends or study. Starbucks may not cater directly to kids (and risk criticism about the high calorie and caffeine content of some of its drinks) but it does make its products kid-friendly, offering special child sizes for instance

PS ? I am with heights I get my 75 cent cup of coffee at a bodega. Can?t beat the atmosphere and you are greeted by the bodega house cat every morning to boot. (hopefully she doesn't have a mouse in her mouth..lol) Life is good.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
It's really a bad situation when "4 Bucks" coffee is taken over and you can't sip your choco swirl caramel latte while hogging their free wifi and counter space.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 16:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 12:04
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
"Are you an employee there narking on your manager?
NO, I AM A CUSTOMER THAT FREQUENTS STARBUCKS' WHILE TRAVELING THE WORLD FOR WORK. A SAFE PLACE AND A TRUE EXPERIENCE, WHICH WAS THE MISSION OF GORDON BOWKER AND JERRY BALDWIN IN 1968.

I get you're passionate about the whole "Starbuck's Experience" (which sounds very corporate internal training manual to me), but you're coming across as having no compassion for others in your community. The homeless are having an experience, too - it's called getting warm.
STARBUCKS IS NOT A HOMELESS SHELTER FOR THE HOMELESS TO STAY WARM? THAT IS WHY JC HAVE HOMELESS SHELTERS !!! THE PROBLEM WITH THIS COUNTRY IS A SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT !!! SAD SAD SAD...EVERYONE CAN WORK IF THEY WANTED...NO?

Posted on: 2016/11/20 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I'd rather just go to the corner candy store for my cup of Joe so I can have that experience.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 15:58
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
First World Problem.

LOL, yes indeed............

Posted on: 2016/11/20 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MFJC07302 wrote:
For those who like and enjoy the Starbucks experience and are paying for it with food/coffee/drink, then the unique experience that Starbucks offers, aside from other coffee shops, should live up to their mission statement. NOT supporting people that don't buy Starbucks food/drink and bring food/drink from another eatery and USE the chairs/tables/outlets for FREE !! People that buy Starbucks should have priority of seats/outlets. And the homeless sleeping in the Starbucks is UNACCEPTABLE !!

Are you an employee there narking on your manager? You sound like the O/P on another old Starbucks thread that was complaining about the site manager.

I get you're passionate about the whole "Starbuck's Experience" (which sounds very corporate internal training manual to me), but you're coming across as having no compassion for others in your community. The homeless are having an experience, too - it's called getting warm.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
First World Problem.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 15:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
For those who like and enjoy the Starbucks experience and are paying for it with food/coffee/drink, then the unique experience that Starbucks offers, aside from other coffee shops, should live up to their mission statement. NOT supporting people that don't buy Starbucks food/drink and bring food/drink from another eatery and USE the chairs/tables/outlets for FREE !! People that buy Starbucks should have priority of seats/outlets. And the homeless sleeping in the Starbucks is UNACCEPTABLE !!

Posted on: 2016/11/20 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
It is like this throughout the country, if you share the CEO's political beliefs you should take it and not be a hypocrite. If you are on the other side, why support this progressive when there are so many other options available?

Posted on: 2016/11/20 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Ohhhhh.... this is going to be a fun thread! I have no sympathy for Starbucks... I stopped drinking their product when the CEO started to encourage a political dialogue between the Baristas and the customers.

Please just give me my Dunkin Donuts coffee and let's leave with a smiles and a thank-yous.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 13:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MFJC07302 wrote:
Grove Street Starbucks has become a homeless shelter. There are tables and plug outlets being taken up by homeless people that don't buy anything and take up a premium table when paying customers have NO seat to enjoy their "Starbucks" experience, that they are paying for. The manager Dannie and staff has been told and nothing is being done.
If you frequent Starbucks or enjoy our local Starbucks, please comment here and make suggestions to Dannie, the manager and Veronica Park, the district manager.

com?pas?sion
k?m?paSH?n
noun

sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others.

"the victims should be treated with compassion"

synonyms: pity, sympathy, empathy, fellow feeling, care, concern, solicitude, sensitivity, warmth, love, tenderness, mercy, leniency, tolerance, kindness, humanity, charity

"have you no compassion for a fellow human being?"

Posted on: 2016/11/20 13:43

STARBUCKS: HOMELESS SHELTER (Grove)

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/11/20 12:42

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017