Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: The gentrification of ward A & F... The newbies vs the old timers.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
I'm so confused by this, would simply posting a notice on the door saying "no soliciting" stop folks from knocking and asking to purchase the property? I've heard about some unethical tactics being used in Lakewood, where an unmarked car would pull up and start taking photos of kids playing in the street of families that refused to sell.

Verizon, Xfinity, & PSE&G are notorious for disregarding "No Soliciting" why should these folks?

Posted on: 2016/6/9 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I'm so confused by this, would simply posting a notice on the door saying "no soliciting" stop folks from knocking and asking to purchase the property? I've heard about some unethical tactics being used in Lakewood, where an unmarked car would pull up and start taking photos of kids playing in the street of families that refused to sell.

Posted on: 2016/6/9 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
and still no where to get a decent bialy.

Posted on: 2016/6/9 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
What long-time residents weren?t prepared for was the attention of the Orthodox Jewish community in the Greeneville area.
Many residents? feel that instead of creating affordable housing people are being displaced completely. Many fear that the Greenville community will become a new neighborhood entirely, as there have been harassment complaints from homeowners.
?They knock on people doors and lie about the value of the property,? said Johnson.

The chassidishe Jewish community said that they want to live in the Greenville area because New York has become unaffordable particularly the Crown Heights area of Brooklyn. Chassidishe families who are low income can no longer afford to live there. Jersey City is an up and coming community, with affordable houses, and a short commute back to Brooklyn.
When asked of the Orthodox Jewish communities? interest in Greeneville, Mayor Fulop was hopeful, saying that Jews and Blacks can live peacefully together. But many residents are alarmed at the interest because Orthodox Jewish communities are known for being insular. Many residents believe that they are trying to take over the community.

In response to the concern of displacing the long-time residents, the orthodox Jewish said that they aren?t trying displace the people.
However, in the Jewish newspaper 5 Towns Jewish Times, in an article written by Rabbi Gershon Tannenbaum, titled, ?Greenville, Jersey City: A New Chassidishe Community,? Tannenbaum states, ?In spite of the geographic desirability, the housing stock is cheap. A most recent listing of homes available in Greenville has a 9-bedroom, 6-bathroom home for $549,000; an 8-bedroom, 3 bathroom home for $328,000; and a 3-bedroom, 2 bathroom home for $325,000, amongst many other similar offerings.?

Tannenbaum continues, stating, ?Several chassidishe philanthropists have joined with real estate investors to transform Greenville into a chassidishe community with ample affordable housing?with the beginnings of Greenville?s chassidishe community now firmly established, the directors of the Ya?azoru Project will begin a campaign of outreach to every chassidishe kehillah (a Jewish community with shared interest) with an invitation for them to establish satellite communities and institutions in the new chassidishe Greenville.?

It has been reported that 11 Orthodox Jewish families have already moved into the community and 50 to 60 properties are under contract.
Another reason residents are skeptical about the Hasidic community coming to the city is the history of the Orthodox Jewish completely inhabiting Brooklyn.

Residents criticize, that while many are being displaced in large numbers due to the lack of affordable housing, the housing the Chassidishe community has created has not been extended to any non-chassidishe residents; especially those who could benefit from low-income housing. Instead, residents complain that they are only offering low-income to other orthodox Jews. One resident even noted that their flyers for low-income housing is only written in Hebrew and published in Jewish publications.

Displacement has happened in Jersey City before and is happening at the moment in large numbers, however.

The Gothic Times

Posted on: 2016/6/9 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/23 2:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
My house sits in front of the park and steps away from the lightrail. Why would I consider a low offer?

Besides they have competition many developers prefer my house because of its location and NYC skyline views. They been offering to buy up the homes around the park since 2012 to make buildings. I think the Jewish newbies know that they can only lowball the properties on Ocean and MLK.

Posted on: 2016/3/30 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

South_Sixth wrote:
A shul coming to MLK Drive

They seem to populate every day, I use to see 4 or 5 walking down Ocean or MLK now I am seeing 12-15 smh

User - I thought you said earlier in the thread that you were excited to see the Hassidim move to GV. What's changed?

I am still excited and very thrilled to get some new blood... I just did not expect it to be so rapid.

Will you still be so excited when you start receiving the phone calls asking you to sell your house to them? If you don't sell they will ask you why you would want to live in a Hasidic neighborhood and offering you a lowball price.
puhleeze, if someone takes a lowball offer then he/she is the weakest link. if you get a lowball offer, just say "no" and tell the offeror that the hasidics will improve the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2016/3/30 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

South_Sixth wrote:

They seem to populate every day, I use to see 4 or 5 walking down Ocean or MLK now I am seeing 12-15 smh

User - I thought you said earlier in the thread that you were excited to see the Hassidim move to GV. What's changed?

I am still excited and very thrilled to get some new blood... I just did not expect it to be so rapid.

Will you still be so excited when you start receiving the phone calls asking you to sell your house to them? If you don't sell they will ask you why you would want to live in a Hasidic neighborhood and offering you a lowball price.

Personally, I already get calls from realtors asking if I want to sell. Getting more calls from those that are Jewish won't matter a bit, though, I don't live in Greenville so likely won't receive those calls.

Posted on: 2016/3/30 15:52
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

South_Sixth wrote:

Posted on: 2016/3/30 15:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/18 19:32
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

South_Sixth wrote:

Don't you mean you didn't expect it to be so rabbid? Cause you know, Jewish, Rabbis....

I'll see myself out.

Posted on: 2016/3/30 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

South_Sixth wrote:

Posted on: 2016/3/29 23:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I believe this is the story I heard on the radio.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/03/opi ... victimizes-kids.html?_r=0

Posted on: 2016/3/29 22:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

South_Sixth wrote:

Posted on: 2016/3/29 22:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Sadly, I believe that the town you are referencing is Lakewood, NJ. More info here...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/article ... nd-angry-residents-resist

Posted on: 2016/3/29 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
anyone crying about anti-semitism because of opposition to Hasidic Jews moving in really needs to read up on how the Hasidic community is destroying town after town. I don't think it could happen to JC because they need to reach a critical mass to take over school boards and town councils first and that's tougher in a big city. But even without representation in government they can still harass everyone in the neighborhood and make their life hell.

I'm really not looking forward to dealing with people that treat Hasidic women as objects, non-Hasidic women as whores, and non-Hasidic men as subhuman.

Sound like Islam, except Hasidim don't want to cut your throats or drown you alive in a cage.

Posted on: 2016/3/29 19:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
anyone crying about anti-semitism because of opposition to Hasidic Jews moving in really needs to read up on how the Hasidic community is destroying town after town. I don't think it could happen to JC because they need to reach a critical mass to take over school boards and town councils first and that's tougher in a big city. But even without representation in government they can still harass everyone in the neighborhood and make their life hell.

I'm really not looking forward to dealing with people that treat Hasidic women as objects, non-Hasidic women as whores, and non-Hasidic men as subhuman.

I forgot the name of the town, it was on a radio show but it took students in the local high school more than 5 years to graduate from high school because the local Hasidic school board refused to hire teachers in certain Math and Science departments. The students lacked the credits for a state diploma. The money instead went to special education programs in the local Hasidic private schools.

Posted on: 2016/3/29 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/3/29 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

South_Sixth wrote:

there goes the neighborhood. what will the thugs do? lol

Posted on: 2016/3/29 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

South_Sixth wrote:

Posted on: 2016/3/28 22:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/6 17:13
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/3/28 22:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
As diverse as Jersey City is, I feel that the Jewish community is barely represented at all here, which always surprised me.

Posted on: 2016/2/26 5:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
They buy up the neighborhood and if you try to stand strong they make it horrible for you to live and devalue your home as you can only sell to them.

Posted on: 2016/2/26 4:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Towns restrict door-to-door solicitation amid Hasidic influx
By Associated Press - February 23, 2016 | 1:07pm

LAKEWOOD, NJ ? James Jackson didn?t want to sell his home but thanked the black-suited man for his interest anyway.

That?s when the man put his hand on Jackson?s shoulder and told him he might want to reconsider. Many of his neighbors in the New Jersey shore town of Toms River, the man said, already planned to sell to Jewish buyers like those he represented.

?He asked me why I would want to live in a Hasidic neighborhood if I wasn?t Hasidic,? Jackson recalled. ?He asked if I would really be happy, if it would be in my family?s best interests.?

Read more: http://nypost.com/2016/02/23/towns-re ... tion-amid-hasidic-influx/

Posted on: 2016/2/25 23:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Will we finally get a decent bagel shop that sells bialys?

Morton-Williams has bialys I always get my fix in the morning when they are fresh.

Posted on: 2016/2/12 21:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RebeccaS wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
I would like to apologize to any jewish people reading this. Not all Jersey City list readers (or residents of our city) are slack jawed mouth breathing caveman racists.

Apologies not necessary to this Jew. "The Jews" are used to this kind of behavior and language.

Is saying "The Jews" not the same as saying "The Italians?"

I never took that to be a negative descriptor.

Posted on: 2016/2/12 21:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:

Actually Wonder Bagels on Bergen Ave often has bialys for sale on top of the counter in the early part of morning.

As good a Kossar's no, but it ain't chopped liver either.

http://kossars.com/

Posted on: 2016/2/12 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/12 17:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 19:50
From Bergen-Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
I would like to apologize to any jewish people reading this. Not all Jersey City list readers (or residents of our city) are slack jawed mouth breathing caveman racists.

Apologies not necessary to this Jew. "The Jews" are used to this kind of behavior and language.

Posted on: 2016/2/12 17:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen-Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
borderline anti-semitic.

You'll see them changing things and people getting upset. And if anyone opposes them, "anti-semitic" will be tossed around at everyone in their way. Then come their lawsuits.

You just did "the Jews" a big(oted) favor.

Posted on: 2016/2/12 17:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen-Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Earl Morgan | For The Jersey Journal

Tensions are mounting between long-time residents and newcomers moving into predominantly black Jersey City neighborhoods, where small power struggles are being waged.

At the same time, there seems to be an aggressive campaign by members of the Hasidic Jewish community to buy property.

On the first front, several neighborhood associations say they are fending off efforts by newbies in their neighborhoods attempting, or even "conspiring," to grab the reigns of leadership of their organizations or to form their own associations.

All this makes you want to utter Rodney King's plea, "Can't we all just get along?"

More

And this from the end of the article:

"I asked the rabbi if he'd noticed that very few Jewish people are seen on MLK Drive."

I love how Earl Morgan knows what Jews "look" like.

Posted on: 2016/2/12 17:07

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017